N20RJ

On 1/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, Niko182 said:

If you want to fly 4 people around and with gravel strips, why has no one mentioned an A36. 

There are a few A36s operating 135 in Alaska. They seem to do fine. Same with Lances and Saratogas.

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I would think it would be hard on paint and prop, but the gear will take it.

Just about everywhere I flew to in the NWT was served by Beech 1900’s, anywhere a Beech 1900 makes frequent flights I’d have no problem in my Mooney. I sort of felt a little out of place in my Maule with 8.50’s and VG’s etc., good thing I left the 29’s at home. Many or most weren’t paved, but the gravel was so fine and small and well packed that it was like a Rubico tennis court.

There are of course gravel bars and that’s why so many SuperCubs etc are in 135 ops, but there is a tremendous amount of work that’s not gravel bars or super short strips, so sure A-36’s etc can be used for 135 ops in those cases, but 205,6,7 Cessna’s will haul significantly more for less than a Bo or a Mooney.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Just about everywhere I flew to in the NWT was served by Beech 1900’s, anywhere a Beech 1900 makes frequent flights I’d have no problem in my Mooney. I sort of felt a little out of place in my Maule with 8.50’s and VG’s etc., good thing I left the 29’s at home. Many or most weren’t paved, but the gravel was so fine and small and well packed that it was like a Rubico tennis court.

There are of course gravel bars and that’s why so many SuperCubs etc are in 135 ops, but there is a tremendous amount of work that’s not gravel bars or super short strips, so sure A-36’s etc can be used for 135 ops in those cases, but 205,6,7 Cessna’s will haul significantly more for less than a Bo or a Mooney.

I have to admit that I've lost track of the original point of this topic, but I was thinking it had something to do with "go fast" AND "land on gravel bars".

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

I have to admit that I've lost track of the original point of this topic, but I was thinking it had something to do with "go fast" AND "land on gravel bars".

I thought it was off road in a Mooney, good idea yes or no?

2 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Point is I think that a Mooney has a Mission in the NWT or Alaska, that it’s not the 1970’s anymore, the Alcan is paved now and there are very many strips suitable for non bush planes.

I first flew that part of the world as a kid in the late 60’s in my Father’s 182, and back then a 182 was probably the min airplane to fly around most of the country and even then you had to be careful to not get in over your head.

I went back with my kids I guess 50 years later, and wow it sure it different now. Sure there is still back country, tens of thousands of miles of it in fact and with the advent of 406 PLB and remote radio retrans etc I flew my kids places my Father would have never gone to as it would have been unsafe back then, we dipped our toes in the Arctic Ocean for example. Even Tuktoyoktuk on the shore of the Arctic Ocean has a 5,000 ft by 150 ft gravel runway and is serviced several times a day by Beech 1900’s from Inuvik, and that runway is as smooth as asphalt, in fact as a tailwheel I much preferred it because it had some slide like grass, not much just some.

I just read there is a road to Inuvik now so not so much air service. When I was there the Canadian Government paid for the flights and if you were a native you just got on and the flight to Inuvik and back was free.

Look how modern the terminal in Inuvik was 15 years ago

The little girl is now 23 and Married.

516049AD-D20A-4481-BEE9-5240F12691FD.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, Fly Boomer said:

The original question was, does anyone here own N20RJ, or do you have personal knowledge about it, such as flying it, wrenching on it.

Edited by Canadian Gal