FAA Researching Advanced RAIM for GPS Approaches

From AIN:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aerospace/2023-01-26/faa-researching-advanced-raim-gps-approaches?utm_hsid=28755669&utm_campaign=AIN Alerts&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=243367554&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--2gy0zrfklus0dWURjNgKG7GB3hmW_8Vkmjq_QwRIxJvJhjGwOHL2y-yeftfo9E8dOU0Qhjex6PU31hWB_Q_zShOe1Gg&utm_content=2&utm_source=hs_email

The FAA’s William J. Hughes Technical Center is conducting research that could lead to improved GPS integrity allowing further development of low-cost vertically guided instrument approaches.

The current integrity system for lateral guidance only is receiver autonomous integrity monitoring (RAIM) and it doesn’t depend on ground stations or other infrastructure. “RAIM allows aviation receivers to detect a GPS satellite fault and in many cases isolate the offending satellite and remove it from usage by the receiver,” according to the FAA. For vertical guidance integrity, the FAA’s wide-area augmentation system (WAAS) uses ground stations to ensure accuracy of the GPS signals.

Advanced RAIM (ARAIM) simplifies the vertical integrity aspect by eliminating the need for WAAS ground stations, instead using another civilian global navigation satellite system (GNSS) such as Europe’s Galileo to help improve accuracy. ARAIM does this by using the second GNSS to allow the GPS receiver to directly measure ionospheric error, according to the FAA. “The ionosphere is in most cases the largest source of error in a GNSS signal, and the ionosphere can also reduce the integrity of GNSS signals.”

The goal of ARAIM is to allow LPV-200 approaches (200-foot minimums) anywhere in the world, the FAA explained. ARAIM thus would become an aircraft-based augmentation system, vastly increasing the utility of GNSS-based approaches.

•  
Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Name a gps vendor who owns more than 10 percent of the market ….besides Garmin….that make was GPS hardware.  

rhe notion that Araim will result in lower cost hardware is great…I would j]ust prefer more genuine competition versus the real monopoly currently held by Garmin 

11 hours ago, glbtrottr said:

Name a gps vendor who owns more than 10 percent of the market ….besides Garmin….that make was GPS hardware.  

rhe notion that Araim will result in lower cost hardware is great…I would j]ust prefer more genuine competition versus the real monopoly currently held by Garmin 

I don't know how it would reduce the cost of the hardware.    You'll still need receivers for GPS as well as the correction signal(s), wherever it comes from.   If an additional source of correction requires an additional antenna and/or receiver, that's a cost adder, plus the engineering to do the integration.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I don't know how it would reduce the cost of the hardware.    You'll still need receivers for GPS as well as the correction signal(s), wherever it comes from.   If an additional source of correction requires an additional antenna and/or receiver, that's a cost adder, plus the engineering to do the integration.

The FAA was pretty clear:

The goal of ARAIM is to allow LPV-200 approaches (200-foot minimums) anywhere in the world, the FAA explained.

I don't think reduction in cost, or complexity was a goal.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

The FAA was pretty clear:

The goal of ARAIM is to allow LPV-200 approaches (200-foot minimums) anywhere in the world, the FAA explained.

I don't think reduction in cost, or complexity was a goal.....

I understood the cost reduction is for the infrastructure, eliminating the need for ground stations. 

• Like 1