"How Mooney Failed the M20"

zxr92

I have no idea who GA insider is…

But they used stock video from several outdated sources…

And made up a bunch of false statements to support their Pro Cirrus stance… :)

Looks like the GA insider should go outside and actually look at Mooney…

Briefly…

If you want a parachute get a cirrus…

If you don’t want a parachute… there must be something wrong with you….  - GA insider

i got about 2/3rds the way through the video…

left a comment or two… got bored, didn’t finish… probably won’t see GA insider come up on my feed in the future… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

For all brand sponsorships and business opportunities please contact us at DwaynesAviation@thoughtleaders.io

it would appear they are a marketing business in the UK that focuses on aviation. 
One major element that was not mentioned is the insurance requirement. A local twin owner recently sold his plane and ordered a brand new Cirrus because the insurance company would no longer offer him insurance at any price for a high performance retractable aircraft, thus the Cirrus. 

Edited by Cruiser
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I remember sitting in the annual Mooney forum at Oshkosh about 4 or 5 years ago when Mooney was still trying to build and sell new aircraft. I don’t remember who the presenter was, but I’ll never forget what he said. I’ll paraphrase because I didn’t record it.

“It takes 1200 plus man-hours to build a Cirrus. It takes 1800 plus man-hours to build a C-172. It took us over 6000 man-hours to build the Acclaim. And with experience, we hope to get that down to 4000.”

As wonderful as our Mooneys are to fly, their manufacturability was from a different era.

• Like 1

I made it through the whole video. I agree, the guy never flew a Mooney. 
there is no task or phase in flight that  a Mooney is not easier to fly than a cirrus.  
he was right about mooney’s bizarre aka absent marketing strategy. 
Cirrus did not create a great aircraft.  
They created a very mediocre aircraft with a cult like following. 
Cult in the sense of Land Cruiser, BMW or Jeep type followings, where people are fanatically loyal. 
Cirrus also created a financial, training and tax planning strategy that enticed people who would have never even become pilots, much less plane owners to take the plunge. 
Mooney should have spent the time and money increasing the useful load and reducing manufacturing costs, and invested 100x more into marketing.

While the two doors is not a bad feature, after owning both, it is grossly overrated. 

• Like 1