Looking for Bravo to purchase

ESPN168

“Bravo” spans a lot of cost and capability. Maybe narrowing it down in terms of 

• budget
  • Glass Panel must have, nice to have, don’t care
  • TKS/FIKI
  • AC

you just might find a suitable plane quietly for sale here.

the received wisdom around here is that it’s generally when considering cost and downtime to purchase a plane with the equipment you want rather than doing the upgrades post purchase

Enjoy the search, and +1 on pros like Jimmy garrison (all American aircraft) or Richard simile (thunderbird.) they will know of good planes coming up for sale before they hit controller.

-dan

• Like 2

If you’re looking at an early Bravo ‘89 or ‘90 (Serial #0001 - 0107) , maybe sure that it’s had the upgrade to dual puck brakes.  Also get one with electric speed brakes - the earliest ones had vacuum speed brakes. Serial numbers 27-0183 and on will have the highly desirable fiberglass interior panels covered with ultra leather (rather than the royalties panels that were brittle and yellowed).

On 1/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, LANCECASPER said:

If you’re looking at an early Bravo ‘89 or ‘90, maybe sure that it’s had the upgrade to dual puck brakes.  Also get one with electric speed brakes - the earliest ones had vacuum speed brakes. Serial numbers 27-0183 and on will have the highly desirable fiberglass interior panels covered with ultra leather (rather than the royalties panels that were brittle and yellowed).

Wonder if the panels for the new Bravos fit in the older ones. I think we learned that the factory destroyed the molds. Might be able to piece enough panels together to make a set and some new molds.

5 hours ago, PilotX said:

Wonder if the panels for the new Bravos fit in the older ones. I think we learned that the factory destroyed the molds. Might be able to piece enough panels together to make a set and some new molds.

It's the same interior as used on the 2015 and 2016 Ovations and Acclaims. They probably still sell a retrofit kit for older M20M (part number 940128-501). A few years back it was about $15,000 I think

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Retrofit-Kits.pdf

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:16 AM, LANCECASPER said:

It's the same interior as used on the 2015 and 2016 Ovations and Acclaims. They probably still sell a retrofit kit for older M20M (part number 940128-501). A few years back it was about $15,000 I think

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Retrofit-Kits.pdf

Got a quote back from an MSC. $28,704 for the interior kit, part number 940128-501. looks like it contains all of the materials needed to refinish the seats too. Here are contents of the kit per Mooney:

POCKET-CLEAR VINYL    

STIFFENER   

KICK PANEL L/H    

KICK PANEL R/H    

SCUFF PANEL         

SCUFF PANEL         

STRAP ASSY-BAGGAGE   

STRAP ASSY-BAGGAGE   

0.500 IN ACETATE BRAID ELASTIC (WHITE)  

SILAPRENE ADHESIVE RAS13270, 1 gallon      

Inspiration 36 Charcoal  Gray Carpet 

Leather, Light Gray    

CARPET TRIM STRIP          

TAPE CARPET BIND POLYESTER TAN 

1IN MIL-W-4088 TAN WEBBING 

0.012 CLEAR CALENDERED VINYL      

.187 48X96 FOAM CORE BOARD ALT CELLUL           

KIT, FIRE EXTINGUISHER

36 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Got a quote back from an MSC. $28,704 for the interior kit, part number 940128-501. looks like it contains all of the materials needed to refinish the seats too. Here are contents of the kit per Mooney:

POCKET-CLEAR VINYL    

STIFFENER   

KICK PANEL L/H    

KICK PANEL R/H    

SCUFF PANEL         

SCUFF PANEL         

STRAP ASSY-BAGGAGE   

STRAP ASSY-BAGGAGE   

0.500 IN ACETATE BRAID ELASTIC (WHITE)  

SILAPRENE ADHESIVE RAS13270, 1 gallon      

Inspiration 36 Charcoal  Gray Carpet 

Leather, Light Gray    

CARPET TRIM STRIP          

TAPE CARPET BIND POLYESTER TAN 

1IN MIL-W-4088 TAN WEBBING 

0.012 CLEAR CALENDERED VINYL      

.187 48X96 FOAM CORE BOARD ALT CELLUL           

KIT, FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Since that includes the carpet kit and all of the panels and windlace and a new fire extinguisher plus adhesives, it's not as bad as it could be in 2023 pricing. MSC pricing can vary - I imagine they get 15%-20% to work with - you may get a lower quote if you shop around.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, ESPN168 said:

Hi Everyone. Let me know if you guys have any leads on a Bravo. I am in the market to purchase one. Welcome to DM. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one last July and have spent quite a bit on it resealing the fuel tanks, adding a new panel with G500 autopilot, JPI 930 engine analyzer., replacing all hoses in the engine compartment new oil cooler, rebuilt mags, new started switch, relay and starter. During the avionics work, I had them remove any wire and other equipment that was no longer needed which amounted to about 100 pounds.  I have de ice, so that reduced my useful load some.  Look closely at what you are planning to buy and get a mechanic that has no relationship with the broker or seller to evaluate the plane carefully.  They are fast.  I flew to Ft Lauderdale from burnet Texas non stop in 5.5 hours and had 20 gallons of fuel left and did not go over the ocean.  Coming back against the wind took about 6.5 hours and required a fuel stop.  I flew back from Phoenix to burnet in 3:45 at 21000 ft.  You will love it!