65 M20C Restoration

Noob

Hey Everyone,

I want to restore my dad's 65 m20c but haven't had an annual in 20 years or so. Looking to do owner assistance with my dad. The newer motor only has a couple of hundred hours. Going to need some new avionics (would like to get IFR certified eventually), a new interior, new windows, and yokes that are cracked terribly.  

Any suggestions for staying on a budget?  I know an annual will be quite expensive but owner-assisted should help. Any suggestions for saving money on the interior (windows and yokes) ?

Appreciate the help 

12 minutes ago, Noob said:

Hey Everyone,

I want to restore my dad's 65 m20c but haven't had an annual in 20 years or so. Looking to do owner assistance with my dad. The newer motor only has a couple of hundred hours. Going to need some new avionics (would like to get IFR certified eventually), a new interior, new windows, and yokes that are cracked terribly.  

Any suggestions for staying on a budget?  I know an annual will be quite expensive but owner-assisted should help. Any suggestions for saving money on the interior (windows and yokes) ?

Appreciate the help 

Welcome to Mooneyspace!

I’d start with opening the airplane completely, open all the covers and remove the interior, this is your own labour.  Get someone in to inspect for corrosion on wing spars, under the back seats and all of the structural steel tubing before anything else.  If there are no structural issues move forward with the Annual.

How long has the new 200 hr engine been sitting? If it hasn’t flown for many years and wasn’t pickled, it may have corrosion issues, also. After making sure the airframe is in good shape, I would suggest moving on to next checking the engine condition. 

20 hours ago, Noob said:

Welcome to MooneySpace.  My advice is don't blow all your powder on "nice to have".  I'd be tempted to get a "pre-buy" inspection even though you may not be buying it -- you may discover some required work that is so expensive, you don't want to proceed.  If you get past that, spend all your money on airworthiness issues, and fly it for a couple of hundred hours.  That should tell you whether you are going to need an engine.  If you get past that hurdle, open your wallet, and go nuts with upgrades.

EDIT:  As I go back and read the other responses, I see that I just about said the same thing as the others.

I took a 1965 M20C from being parked for years outside, unused, to flying…. 23 years ago… :)

+1 For everything mentioned above…

Your flying safety depends on it…

Doing things in order is important as well… your wallet’s safety depends on it…

The biggest surprise I got… was carbon deposits in the valve guides were blocking the oil flow locally…

There are methods for cleaning that out…

Could have been a prior owner’s mistake… it doesn’t happen much to knowledgable owners…

A 65C makes a great forever plane… or a great stepping stone to a bigger faster more modern Mooney….

Care for her well… and she will take care of you…

Ask a bazillion questions…

Learn the various methods to search for things around here…

Most of the issues have been covered at least once before…

We kept the M20C for a decade before getting its bigger brother….

Post some pics!!!

Does your M20C have an engine monitor? Or a carb temp sensor? These are things that are often added as a high priority to the older planes…

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-