new electrical problem thread

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

In my mind and the rationalization of spending dollars without doing the diagnostic work and just throwing parts at the problem and getting lucky.   As far as the actual work for the STC for the VR and the updated W&B that was signed off by the grumpy IA.   Sorry to use the PM term and get your regulatory dander up.   The good news is Zefttronics is  a Texas company and the VR was here lickety split. 

We had a guy back at our home field in Texas that was changing out cylinders and things, claiming they were preventative maintenance since they hadn't failed yet.  

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Under what section of FAR 43 are  you justifying It a preventative maintenance? Just curious

Well, Appendix A says you are allowed troubleshoot and repair broken landing light circuits so it's not much of a stretch to say that the repairing charging circuit wiring is allowed by similarity. And Part 1 says that preventive maintenance includes replacement of small standard parts not involving complex assembly operations. So with a bit of a stretch you could probably argue that an off-the-shelf direct replacement voltage regulator fastened to the airframe with four screws is a small standard part. The Coleal legal interpretation makes it unclear. Me, I'd have my A&P look it over and sign it off.

8 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

We had a guy back at our home field in Texas that was changing out cylinders and things, claiming they were preventative maintenance since they hadn't failed yet.  

By that logic, you could replace the engine as PM :D I would like to see him explain that to the FAA though. That would be fun to watch.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Well, Appendix A says you are allowed troubleshoot and repair broken landing light circuits so it's not much of a stretch to say that the repairing charging circuit wiring is allowed by similarity. And Part 1 says that preventive maintenance includes replacement of small standard parts not involving complex assembly operations. So with a bit of a stretch you could probably argue that an off-the-shelf direct replacement voltage regulator fastened to the airframe with four screws is a small standard part. The Coleal legal interpretation makes it unclear. Me, I'd have my A&P look it over and sign it off.

The landing light gets its power from the alternator, so it’s part of the landing light circuit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:17 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

The landing light gets its power from the alternator, so it’s part of the landing light circuit.

Well, heck the ENTIRE electrical system is “part” of the landing light circuit so, ….:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Well, heck the ENTIRE electrical system is “part” of the landing light circuit so, ….:D

OK, let's be reasonable here. 

Pitot heat,    Not part of the landing light circuit.

Starter,         Not part of the landing light circuit.

Nav Lights,  Not part of the landing light circuit.

Radios,        Not part of the landing light circuit.

Strobe,        Not part of the landing light circuit.

Battery,       Is part of the landing light circuit.

You have to look at current circuits, not voltage paths.

32 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

OK, let's be reasonable here. 

Pitot heat,    Not part of the landing light circuit.

Starter,         Not part of the landing light circuit.

Nav Lights,  Not part of the landing light circuit.

Radios,        Not part of the landing light circuit.

Strobe,        Not part of the landing light circuit.

Battery,       Is part of the landing light circuit.

You have to look at current circuits, not voltage paths.

Ok, let's be reasonable:  SIGH and WHOOSH!!:D

18 hours ago, PT20J said:

Seems to me that the best approach to preventive maintenance is to just replace the entire airplane with another before anything fails. You don't even need a logbook entry.

The bank book entry pain is usually a stronger deterrent.  ;)

18 hours ago, PT20J said:

Seems to me that the best approach to preventive maintenance is to just replace the entire airplane with another before anything fails. You don't even need a logbook entry.

I agree with that but there are 2 problems. #1 Mooney doesn't make new ones and #2 if they did I couldn't afford one.

• Haha 1