IO-550 Alternator drive coupling ALERT SB-Before Further Flight

philiplane

Bad news for anyone who got a reman drive coupling from Quality Aircraft Accessories from August 2018 to September 2021. Not only is the coupling bad, but you have to destroy the alternator it’s mounted to. Before further flight!

https://www.qaa.com/wp-content/uploads/QAA-ASB_021-1.pdf

Edited by philiplane
  • Sad 1

It would be better if they explain why you need to trash the alternator.

It would be better if they said you need to replace the bearings in the alternator or something like that. Considering that there is no way to tell if the alternator was changed or not, there may be some compliance issues.

I’ve said it before on here, but I wouldn’t let QAA supply parts for my lawn mower. I had a complete fiasco with them on a mag years ago and how they handled it was beyond ridiculous. My only recourse after trying every good faith remedy was American Express and they ended up backing me up. The incompetence and hassle is something I’d never want to go through again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

It would be better if they explain why you need to trash the alternator.

It would be better if they said you need to replace the bearings in the alternator or something like that. Considering that there is no way to tell if the alternator was changed or not, there may be some compliance issues.

The instructions say to render the threads on the rotor unusable. 
Maybe a call can clarify the issue. Especially since it’s not an AD. 

1 hour ago, Phil EF said:

The instructions say to render the threads on the rotor unusable. 
Maybe a call can clarify the issue. Especially since it’s not an AD. 

I read that. Why should I destroy a perfectly good alternator? What makes it bad? Why can't I just fix what is bad about it?

On 1/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, philiplane said:

Bad news for anyone who got a reman drive coupling from Quality Aircraft Accessories from August 2018 to September 2021. Not only is the coupling bad, but you have to destroy the alternator it’s mounted to. Before further flight!

https://www.qaa.com/wp-content/uploads/QAA-ASB_021-1.pdf

I wonder why they sat on this for a year? to be sure the warranty on the parts in question has ran out?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GeeBee said:

The drive coupling is something I never buy rebuilt. I always replace with new. I really don't see how you can rebuild those things successfully.

I'm wondering how they could screw up replacing the elastomer portion of the coupling. That's the only thing they replace. They re-use the gear and the main body. What could go wrong that could trash an alternator other than imbalance? Alternators do spin at 6000-8000 rpm at full power.