Ovation ELT upgrade

M20R

Considering ELT upgrade in our "new" J as well.  ELT in a/c seems the original 121.5 Dorne & Margolin unit.  Same issue.  ELT antenna located under the fiberglas fairing.

A couple of years ago we installed a Artex ELT in our C, but it came with an antenna that was ugly as a hot dog.   The ACK at least comes with an antenna that looks like it belongs on an airplane, but with the added hassle and expense of requiring two specialized batteries in addition to the main ELT battery- one in the cockpit switch, and another in the noisemaker.

Hard to see how either of the antennas that come with these units would work in a horizontal orientation.   Ground plane issues?   Polarization?  The ACK antenna would be really challenging to mount because it is intended for vertical mounting and includes a 20-degree swept-back profile.

The ACK using its own antenna seems the best option to me at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20R said:

It looks like my Ameri-king ELT has stopped working. So now I'm looking to upgrade. Also the antenna appears to be buried inside a fiberglass fairing that will have to be drilled off for replacement. Anybody have a ny suggestions?

Mooney SI M20-116 cover ELT upgrade.

Yeah same.  Pulled the D&M in my 231 and just installed a new ACK-04 with its own antenna.  Looks fine.  I imagine the D&M antenna is still inside the dorsal fin - just left it.  ACK-04 connected to IFD440 and new switch installed on panel.

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1