forgot to turn pitot heat on… how to avoid / prepare for this happening again

9 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

I learned that pitot heat is obligatory for all IFR flights, regardless of season or temperature. 

That being said... I usually don't use it in summer (unless I'm doing my annual IR check flight in August). The second that temps drop close to zero, with or without clouds, my pitot heat is always on.

Seems like good advice. I am told people who fly pressurized airplanes usually turn it on before takeoff and off after landing. Just don't forget to turn it off after you land. @donkaye showed me what happens if you forget during my transition training. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Seems like good advice. I am told people who fly pressurized airplanes usually turn it on before takeoff and off after landing. Just don't forget to turn it off after you land. @donkaye showed me what happens if you forget during my transition training. 

Yeah... sorry... I meant, "clear for takeoff, pitot heat on" and then after vacating the runway it goes off with the strobe lights.

• Like 1