Ovation / Eagle Battery Thoughts

Hey Everyone,

After a very long panel upgrade, an inflight emergency due to inappropriate rigging of the trim system after GFC500 install, the GFC SB which delayed delivery and a myriad of other issues..........N57FM, my screaming eagle is about to pounce back to the real world. During this time the number 2 battery "died" and I was told it wouldnt hold a charge. I was planning on replacing the battery at annual anyway as it would intermittently show low voltage (we were planning capacity tests and such per Concorde first). 

Anyway - I decided to replace both of my RG24-11M's since they are 7+ years old and hard to find. However, as I'm sure everyone who has needed a battery recently has noted - out of stock. I purchased the RG24-15 (non "M") and I'm aware that the non-M models are simply lacking the  manifold vent plug from the old need to vent batteries, even though the -11M's were sealed and my understanding is they just include a little "dummy" plug to connect the battery vent into. 

So - Do we just plug the vent? Curious from those of you who have made the change to the non-M variants what, if anything, needs to be done. 

Happy to get flying again

AC

13 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The RG24-15 is sealed and no need for a vent. Just pull the vent line and you can plug the hole on the belly.

@Criticalcarecohen, the RG24-15 is the recommended battery to use in the Ovation and Eagle.  With the attached rope, they’re actually easier to get in and out of the airplane.  Just use the holddown bracket when mounting them and safety-wire the two wing nuts.

Echoing @LANCECASPER’s and @amillet’s comments also about plugging the vent.

Oddly, the new batteries come with a top hold down plate with a place to connect the old vent/drain…

no… the drain is definitely not a requirement for sealed batteries…

And sealed batteries have good experience flying to high altitudes…

How high do sealed batteries go?    Any limitations?

Great question since many Mooniacs fly in the flight levels…

Go MS!

best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, M20R said:

These batteries have gotten very expensive like everything else.

Look at the pricing for a Concorde battery in a Meridian or TBM and you’ll think these are cheap!

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Look at the pricing for a Concorde battery in a Meridian or TBM and you’ll think these are cheap!

Ha! No doubt!  I fly a Meridian for work and the new Concord 2 years ago cost more than the annual on my Mooney this year… and while I helped with inspection panel removal and installation, I paid a standard rate for the 30 hours of time I was charged.