Missed approach and alt airport

Once in a while the CB in us might cloud our judgement if only for a moment.

I flew from KTPF to KDYL with a planned fuel stop at KSIF… the weather there slowly deteriorated during my flight.  700 overcast.  Shooting an actual IFR approach at night.  No big deal, right?   But when I came out of the clouds I saw… well, nothing.  No streetlights, no runway lights, and very few house lights.  Tried repeatedly to get the lights on to no avail.  It wasn’t until I was over and a little left of the runway that I saw very faint runway lights.  Flew the missed and contacted Approach.  For a moment, the cheap gas almost looked better than the bright lights of Roanoke…  

I was ready to set up a second approach, but then I thought about the difference between that $150 savings and the cost of disaster… ROA won quickly!

Signature had the fuel truck ready for me as soon  as I pulled in… and a txt from my wife “why were you diverted?!?”  

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...