Impressive Non-Stop Mooney Flight Today

RoundTwo

That is one of the things I like the most about the acclaim.

you can fly it almost exactly like an ovation if you want the legs. 
it still isn’t quite as efficient at ovation altitudes, but once you are near the ceiling it’s even better. 
the acclaim is an amazing machine.  
love to hear @LANCECASPER chime in about the bravo comparison. He has owned his acclaim for at least a year now right?

I would require one stop.

I figure roughly that a stop without fuss (no crew car.  No restaurant. etc, etc..) just land, taxi at a small airport well chosen with best in the area fuel prices, fuel - ok pee - and go, adds maybe 45 min to the trip, total?

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

A google search has photos of the plane.  It is a very nice looking Acclaim Type S with a 4 bladed prop.

n142kr-untitled-mooney-m20tn_PlanespottersNet_1375488_e8f497f48a_o.jpg

The best part of that airplane is that the spinner lines up perfectly with the cowling. As an Ovation owner, I could only dream.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Schllc said:

That is one of the things I like the most about the acclaim.

you can fly it almost exactly like an ovation if you want the legs. 
it still isn’t quite as efficient at ovation altitudes, but once you are near the ceiling it’s even better. 
the acclaim is an amazing machine.  
love to hear @LANCECASPER chime in about the bravo comparison. He has owned his acclaim for at least a year now right?

I haven't taken as many trips as I want to yet, but I feel with the Acclaim you have an Acclaim, an Ovation and an Encore wrapped up in one airplane. You can dial it up to Acclaim speeds, but if you want more range or economy you can dial it back to Ovation or Encore speeds and easily be within a gallon per hour of how those airplanes would perform. What makes that possible is how balanced the intake is on this engine, allowing it to fly LOP. The Bravo is also an amazing machine but the engine on the Acclaim seems much more balanced and smooth.

What's even more impressive about the non-stop flight in this post is that it doesn't look like it even has Monroy Long Range tanks (at least when it was for sale in 2017-18 it didn't seem like it did). With Long Range Tanks and some planning you might be able to fly from the West Coast to the East Coast non-stop. Also since he was at FL180 (eastbound?) most likely he used a cannula. This time of the year, if he had put on a mask and gone up to FL250 (and had a backup oxygen source for safety) he could have probably shaved an hour or more off of the flight, depending on winds. (I crossed the Gulf from TX to FL in the winter one time in a Bravo at FL250 and had 300kt groundspeed nearly the entire way.) Nothing wrong with FL180 though, not much traffic and good performance and in case of an oxygen problem able to get to a breathable altitude a lot sooner.

• Like 2

This time of year with the cooler temperatures and strong winds, you can catch a good push. 
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N252JH/history/20230113/1300Z/KDTO/KIWS

although only a short just over 1 hour flight down to houston, i had a 40kt tailwind that on top of doing 160kts at 7000ft required no oxygen and burning only 10 gal per hour LOP

5 hours ago, Niko182 said:

The best part of that airplane is that the spinner lines up perfectly with the cowling. As an Ovation owner, I could only dream.

My rocket was the first rocket with the MT prop and I was working directly with the engineers and their CAD drawings to get it right, and in process I went through a total of 3 nose cones to get the fit just right.