FAA change of acceptable EKG range.

48 minutes ago, Rick Junkin said:

Here’s an article from AOPA directly addressing this and other assertions by the author. https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/january/25/federal-air-surgeon-takes-on-tough-issues?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email. An interesting counterpoint with more context.

Cheers,
Rick

Aw, shucks. Conspiracy theories are so much more fun than reality.

Only in America would pilots find fault with the FAA relaxing medical certification standards.

Proof once again that politics trumps science.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rick Junkin said:

Here’s an article from AOPA directly addressing this and other assertions by the author. https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/january/25/federal-air-surgeon-takes-on-tough-issues?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email. An interesting counterpoint with more context.

Cheers,
Rick

I see AOPA is now part of the conspiracy, too. Maybe they get paid from the same Conspiracy Fund that I do.

The fact that this “made the rounds” when it’s so clearly ridiculous is a major disappointment and a symptom of how messed up society is right now. It fit some people’s political views so it spread like wildfire, despite zero scientific merit.

Oh well. Can’t wait for the next one to make the rounds so we can do this all over again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I see AOPA is now part of the conspiracy, too. Maybe they get paid from the same Conspiracy Fund that I do.

I contributed my annual fee to Conspiracies-R-Us - you should receive your check shortly ;) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Aw, shucks. Conspiracy theories are so much more fun than reality.

Only in America would pilots find fault with the FAA relaxing medical certification standards.

Proof once again that politics trumps science.

I concur! I rather think the standard was relaxed because the FAA recognized it was needlessly stringent. I’m grateful for the new standard…….but, I am still not going to get the Faucci Ouchy!:lol:

• Like 1

My job now has a requirement that I get a hepatitis B vaccine, but not a COVID vaccine. It is some NIH rule for working with infectious diseases. Which I don’t do on a regular basis, but I have walked into that lab a time or two. 

There is a negative pressure HEPA filtered fume hood area where live samples are handled. I stay away from that thing…

Fascinating thread and enjoyable to read, especially the informed and humorus responses. As an AME myself, and previously in practice for 30 years, had I been in practice during Covid, I would have strongly recommended my patients to get the vaccine. even the ones whom I supported in not getting vaccines such as Shingrix , Hepatits or HPV or even the influenza vaccine. I never saw death rates in almost all ages like I saw with Covid and would have encouraged patients to do everything they could to avoid getting the disease. WRT the FAA guideline change, agencies like the FAA seem incapable of being organized enough or manipulated enough to be involved in conspiracies. The word incompetence or bureaucratic sludge does come to mind though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1