Landing Lights: Whelen LED vs Aeroled or others

2 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

When I looked into this a bit ago it seems like the choice was narrow and bright or wide and dim. Has that changed?

If you have a PAR-46 size lamp the only product Whelen has with the G3 is the landing light version, which has a 12 degree spot light. For the PAR-36 size the G3 has a landing and taxi light version. The taxi light version has a 50 degree flood light. If you only have one light, the landing light is the way to go because you'll really want it when you are on final approach to light up the runway.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:47 PM, PT20J said:

There are differences between the Whelen PAR 36 and PAR 46 bulbs. I have the wing mounted PAR 36 and was disappointed in the Parmetheus Plus. I didn’t do enough research. According to Whelen’s published 3rd party test data, the PAR 36 Parmetheus Plus is less bright than the stock incandescent bulbs. I upgraded to the G3 and they are now brighter than the incandescents. I am very happy with the G3s.

For the PAR 46, according to Whelen’s data, the Parmetheus Plus is about equivalent to the incandescent and the G3 is brighter.  

Skip

httpscdn.shopify.comsfiles1008055980128filesParmetheus_Series.pdf3619.png.0dcce7dec7937161593fc2a8f77542d1.png

At 300,000 candela, these may be the king of the hill:
https://www.xevision.com/led_aircraft.html
I have reservations about getting them into my cowl.  I also have reservations about 1 AMU each.

2 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I have reservations about getting them into my cowl.  I also have reservations about 1 AMU each.

You will have to make structural modifications to get that to fit. 

2 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

@OSUAV8TER Is the G3 better than the Pro? I have Pros for my landing lights and G3 for taxi. Would G3 landing lights be brighter than the Pro?

It is slightly better but if you have the Pro, I'd keep that versus changing to the G3. If you have Parmetheus Plus taxi lights, the G3 taxi lights are a worthy upgrade. Here is the Pro landing light versus the G3 landing light. Different disbursement pattern and color to the diodes but they do a good job illuminating all the way to the end of the taxiway. The Pro is still a very good light. Pro is on top, G3 is on the bottom.

Edit_WATPro.jpg

Edit_WATG3Landing.jpg

• Thanks 1

To me, LED light systems are like cell phones.  Many people want the latest and greatest.

But for most people, there is little benefit to upgrading every time and that skipping a couple of generations is more than enough.

The G3 is gilding the lily, yes it’s brightest, but provides no additional benefit, the taxiway is clearly visible with Pros (and probably originals), it’s just more brilliantly lit, to the point where it’s washed out in the photo. I wonder how your night vision will degrade with such brightness.
If you can’t see the taxiway without it being lit up like it would be at noon sun, you shouldn’t driving or flying at night.

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

The G3 is gilding the lily, yes it’s brightest, but provides no additional benefit, the taxiway is clearly visible with Pros (and probably originals), it’s just more brilliantly lit, to the point where it’s washed out in the photo. I wonder how your night vision will degrade with such brightness.
If you can’t see the taxiway without it being lit up like it would be at noon sun, you shouldn’t driving or flying at night.

When you're taxiing around a poorly lit airport, I'm sorry, I want the brightest lights. The G3 is much more better than the original. If you have a Parmetheus (1st generation) or a Parmetheus Plus (2nd generation), the G3 is leaps and bounds better. 1st generation taxi light on the top, G3 on the bottom. 

Gen1Plus.JPG

Gen3Plus.JPG

6 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I have XeVisions 50w HID (5300 lumens) and during taxi it illuminates a water tower that is more than a half mile away. The 100w LED you linked is rated at 10,870 lumens. That has to be about the brightest set up on the market. It’s a shame that it’s not certified.

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, Shadrach said:

I have XeVisions 50w HID (5300 lumens) and during taxi it illuminates a water tower that is more than a half mile away. The 100w LED you linked is rated at 10,870 lumens. That has to be about the brightest set up on the market. It’s a shame that it’s not certified.

We expect to have an STC approved for our XeVision LED's in 2024, hopefully the early 1/2.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, ArtVandelay said:

It's more a matter of aim, so that there isn't so much brightness on the ground right in front of you, where it's neither needed or wanted. If aimed higher and farther down the runway as it should be, it won't negatively affect your night vision, to a significant degree.

Edited by FastGlasair
clarity
  • Like 1

Hope people will watch this YouTube video.

Candela (CP), Lux & Lumens "OH MY" !! - The established standards by which Landing lighting performance is measured.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3NL6wjAoTEg&feature=share8 6

The technical part about landing and taxi lighting ( Lumens, Lux Candela ) starts 25 seconds in, after a high quality video-graphic flying introduction.
Hope you all find it interesting and informational.
Dan

www.xevision.com