Mooney Purchase - m20F sitting for 8 years

Mellow_Mooney

I think that most of the advice was meant to point out the possible issues, so that you can either take a good close look at things, or walk away if you are not allowed to look or you find issues or at least to know you have issues and have the contingency funds to deal with them

• Like 1

There are so many views expressed here on our forum and all are important.  Each comes from experience and some of that experience comes with past pain.  What others gain is the ability to learn and weigh decisions.  Our dear new owner here used what he learned from other's experiences and has made a decision he can live with.  I'm looking forward to hear about his experience and his journey with this prior loved airplane that will be loved once again. 

Congratulations on your purchase and the beginning of a new love affair.

Now, where are those photos of this beauty?

• Like 5

On 1/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, jetdriven said:

Your first post  says it all, the broker bought it after sitting several years and then brought it home to sell.  Ask him if that annual comes with a warranty because I get these planes all the time in the shop that end up with a $10,000 annual when it comes around because so much stuff was not done right and the plane is in awful shape.  And that's before we talk about spar or cafe corrosion.  The broker won't look too hard for that and if they found it, wouldn't disclose it. This site is full of those deals. 

Little off topic but what's the best way to inspect all that stuff? I've torn my plane completely apart and polished every little spec of surface corrosion off of it. I even took panels off the inside and looked at the steel frame on the pilot side just to be sure that was good. interiorly there wasn't any corrosion anywhere I could see. Granted the spar is painted green along with most everything else. Still, I wonder if there or things a more experienced eye would say to look at to be 100% sure.  Soon as I'm done painting I'll be doing corrosion X on the inside. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys and gals… as promised here she is!

C8469B51-1BD2-4C70-BA4B-9F8C3D74B559.jpeg.8b37e79f1d8e5e5b6a5f26af512403bc.jpeg974D7A5C-97E5-47CD-AFF2-506B980E6F64.jpeg.c191b463e1c4c7147e143be2d3c217f8.jpeg

68E821F5-CFEC-4A6F-88B6-E9AA2CFB002F.jpeg.662025f8b1f87d1fe57499922b086034.jpeg67C0E8EA-4B8C-4EF7-84E1-0921B01AFCE2.jpeg.5d41c8bf116e315c6ade9140be95d58a.jpeg

Flew her out to Apple Valley and Big Bear this week. She runs great. And FAST

Put over 12 hours on her already and she hasn’t even gone through a quart of oil. Pretty stoked on performance so far. 

As everyone stated only time will tell if I made a good purchase, but at the moment I’m unbelievably happy.

Fly safe,

-Mellow

• Like 10

On 2/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, EricJ said:

That seems to be true in every forum, everywhere, whether on the intarwebz or in person.

It’s worse in Cruising sailboats, many or most boat yards have a “Field of Dreams” where people buy old boats with the idea of fixing it up for that World cruise that they have dreamed of for years.

Very rarely do they ever make it out of the Field of Dreams, the amount of work and expense is orders of magnitude more than was hoped for.

It’s sad really, just like walking past the old Bonanza with flat tires etc., slowly rotting away.

Depresses me when I see that.

I Love it when people rescue an old airplane as they are a limited resource, all the Mooney’s that there are, are all there will be.

• Like 1