G5 to GI-275 Swap?

RoundTwo

1 minute ago, RoundTwo said:

Wow that you can feed the GFC-500 with a GI-275, are the 275’s that much better than the G5’s to warrant a swap if you’re already doing panel work?

R2

GI275s do have some more capabilities than G5s (like syn vis and a flight path marker) and they fit in existing instrument holes without cuttIng.  A lot depends on what you want to accomplish.  G5s work better with G3x if that’s in your future.  GI-275s work better with some legacy autopilots, but they both work fine with Gfc500.  The battery on G5s lasts much longer than a -275 if that’s important to you.  At least in theory… G5 is usually about 4 hours, 1 hour is minimum allowed.  GI-275 is certified for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

GI275s do have some more capabilities than G5s (like syn vis and a flight path marker) and they fit in existing instrument holes without cuttIng.  A lot depends on what you want to accomplish.  G5s work better with G3x if that’s in your future.  GI-275s work better with some legacy autopilots, but they both work fine with Gfc500.  The battery on G5s lasts much longer than a -275 if that’s important to you.  At least in theory… G5 is usually about 4 hours, 1 hour is minimum allowed.  GI-275 is certified for 30 minutes.

Sounds like it’s not a cut and dry decision. Thanks. 

R2

• Like 2

I have 2 G5s and have gave some consideration to replacing them with GI-275s but really can't find a good enough reason. I may add a GI-275 later this year to be an additional CDI/MFD/MAP/ etc. But I will keep the G5s. 

• Like 2

I have two G5s, and a buddy has two G5s plus a GI-275 in his Cherokee.   His GI-275 just does nav, CDI replacement, map, kinda stuff and isn't an AI or HSI.

I personally like the display on the G5 better, partly because it is square and has more useful area, but it just seems easier to read to me.   It's probably personal preference.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

I have two G5s, and a buddy has two G5s plus a GI-275 in his Cherokee.   His GI-275 just does nav, CDI replacement, map, kinda stuff and isn't an AI or HSI.

I personally like the display on the G5 better, partly because it is square and has more useful area, but it just seems easier to read to me.   It's probably personal preference.

The curved tapes aren’t as intuitive as the straight tapes for sure. It looks like the G5 does have a bit more display area than the 275. However, with the higher resolution of the 275, you can get more info per sq in, but that can also lead to lots of small fonts if taken too far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoundTwo said:

The curved tapes aren’t as intuitive as the straight tapes for sure. It looks like the G5 does have a bit more display area than the 275. However, with the higher resolution of the 275, you can get more info per sq in, but that can also lead to lots of small fonts if taken too far.

The G5 disply resolution is quite good as it is.   I've never felt like it needed better resolution, although the GI-275 displays are certainly nice they can get cluttered, which is partly why I like the additional area available on the G5 a bit better.    They're both great units and do slightly different things.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the GI 275 and am generally an advocate for them over the G5 but in the case of someone who already has the G5s I don't think the extra benefits warrant the cost of the switch unless you have some sort of specific need for the extra capability, ie need to couple to a legacy radio or autopilot. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned both sets. I loved the G5 in my last plane and got a few years of flawless service out of them. I don’t think it’d be worth the hassle  to get the gi275s. Having said that, the 275s are far superior than the G5s. The resolution is better, easier to read and is actually more useable screen than the square G5s. If I was starting from nothing, the 275s are the way to go.

717A9259-2841-44CB-9038-ED67D4AA4650.jpeg

16ADB0DD-8B66-4F5E-9F2F-E86A2A4D5D96.jpeg

C835BFC1-15EA-4130-9005-0F056DAFB4A8.jpeg

I just wish that the G5's had bigger font and selector cursor  with a fatter box. I have purposely slow down when I go to selector cursor  for change heading  versus course   and select vor / gps mode altimeter baro versus altitude bug. Also wish that Garmin had a way  uploading/downloading  configurations (at least download configuration) this would cut down configuration setup errors.  Other than that I works great.