Turbos

2659AU

Would anyone recommend a supplier of new/exchange or overhauled turbo to suit the Acclaim TSIO 550. Limited parts available here in Australia and have been quoted 6 months ex USA. We had turbo problems a couple hundred hours ago and needed to overhaul. We chose (wrong choice in hindsight) to go down the exchange path, however one turbo is now out of tolerance and the two halves do not clamp up tight and they can turn. 

3 hours ago, 2659AU said:

Would anyone recommend a supplier of new/exchange or overhauled turbo to suit the Acclaim TSIO 550. Limited parts available here in Australia and have been quoted 6 months ex USA. We had turbo problems a couple hundred hours ago and needed to overhaul. We chose (wrong choice in hindsight) to go down the exchange path, however one turbo is now out of tolerance and the two halves do not clamp up tight and they can turn. 

Many people on this forum recommend Main Turbo in California.  No idea what you would be looking at regarding the calendar.

https://www.mainturbo.com

5 hours ago, 2659AU said:

Thankyou for your help. I have an overhauled turbo being dispatched by Main Turbo today

Any hint on what caused the issue?

Hours on the turbo, or high TIT?

We are having a long ongoing discussion about OWTs and turbo cool down in another thread… :)

A couple of years back… an MSer with a TN’d IO550 in a plastic plane had run into turbo failure issues…. He had documented some details around here… Fuzzy old memory already….

Best regards,

-a-

Thankyou for the assistance. We now have the overhauled turbo fitted and running. The service provided by Main Turbo was exceptional. 6 days from order to running in our plane ... and the delivery had to go half way around the world! When we troubleshoot the problem with previous, will post details. In the interim, only 300 hours on the turbo since overhaul, nothing indicating high TIT in the logs, Normally running about 1570 TIT LOP, 95% of cruise is at 29", 2400RPM

• Thanks 1

Typically we see @ FL150/FL160  29"  2400 15.3 to 15.7 GPH @ 50LOP - And a TAS of 185 knots (heavy) to 190 knots (light). Our Acclaim is not quite as streamlined as most due to having ADF (which is quite large), traffic, Wx Antennas as well as Vortex Generators for short field performance.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't either.  I have some default settings, my guess is that it is more than 50 degrees lean but I would have to to take some time to find peak and then go from there.  I know 14.x is going to get me close so I usually pull to there and then adjust for smoothness.  I have no idea where it is in relation to peak EGT but I know it's lean of peak and running smooth, cylinder temps are in the low 300s and TIT is somewhere around 1500 when the gauge is working.