Florida Mooney Lunch Group

mike_elliott

Since the passing of Gary Hellman, (blue skys, Gary) Dave and Ruth Taisch have asked me to post  the Florida Lunch group's meeting notes and schedules in their behalf. The Florida Lunch group meets the 2nd Sat of each month at a revolving airport venue cafe. If anyone would like to get on the FL. Mooney lunch group email list, contact Daveanruth@aol.com and they will put you on it so you wont miss any announcements 

And here's Dave.......

Dear Mooney Enthusiast,

We had  a pretty good turnout for our first lunch at the new Waco Grill in Lakeland.  Eight Mooneys, 1 Bonanza, and 1 Tesla (not mine) brought 15 people to lunch in spite of the early morning fog that hung on to late morning.  The afternoon flights home were in good VFR weather.

Our next event is this Saturday, January 14.  We are arranging ground transportation from the Leesburg Airport (KLEE) to our house where lunch will be provided - Publix fried chicken and side dishes.  Weather permitting we will be running Ruth’s G gauge model trains in the back yard where she has 1,000 linear feet of track in 4 loops.  Normally we run 5 or 6 trains at once.  We will have a couple of cars running from the airport starting around 11AM until noon or so to the house, and running people back pretty much whenever they want to go.  The trains will be running from 11AM until either everyone leaves or I get too cold (the weather is supposed to be good VFR with 10 knots of wind and 50 degree temperatures).

We have two cats in the house, so if you are allergic to them, please plan to eat outside.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU LET US KNOW BY THURSDAY EVENING IF YOU ARE COMING SO WE CAN HAVE ENOUGH FOOD, AND ARRANGE ENOUGH TRANSPORTATION.  Melinda Simmons will be at the airport with a list of everyones N number and quantity of people so she can co-ordinate rides.  If you are local and driving by the airport, please drop in and check with Melinda to see if she has anyone needing a ride.  Also, please park by the lake so the driveway is available for the shuttle drivers.  If you come at the last minute without telling us, be sure to get to the airport well before noon, or there might not be anyone there to take you to our house.

IF YOU TELL US YOU ARE COMING AND THEN CAN’T, PLEASE CALL RUTH AT 352-343-3196 SO WE CAN BE SURE MELINDA IS NOT WAITING FOR YOU.

Brian Sapp of Sunair has waived the normal ramp fee for people that are attending, but asks you to buy some fuel either from self serve or the truck, but this is not a requirement.  

All events start at 11:30.

Future events:

January, 14, Leesburg, ( LEE ).  We will car pool to our house for lunch, then weather permitting run model trains.

February, 11, Fort Pierce, (FPR).

March 11, Vero Beach, (VRB).

Please let me know by Thursday if you are going to try to come so we can buy enough food, but not too much as I would like to not be eating leftovers for a month.  It is also important that we know how many people in your party and you N number to co-ordinate transportation. 

I have the very unhappy duty to tell you that a long time member, Gary Hellman died 12/17/22 from cancer.  His obituary is below.  I know many of you will miss him.

Hope to see you soon,

Dave and Ruth

11605 Lane Park Rd.

Tavares, FL. 

352-408-3343

• Thanks 1

Yes

On 1/8/2023 at 9:15 PM, mike_elliott said:

Since the passing of Gary Hellman, (blue skys, Gary) Dave and Ruth Taisch have asked me to post  the Florida Lunch group's meeting notes and schedules in their behalf. The Florida Lunch group meets the 2nd Sat of each month at a revolving airport venue cafe. If anyone would like to get on the FL. Mooney lunch group email list, contact Daveanruth@aol.com and they will put you on it so you wont miss any announcements 

• 4 weeks later...

From Dave and Ruth:

Dear Mooney Enthusiast,

It was sort of cold and windy for our last event, so only 2 Mooneys flew in.  But, several people drove in so we had about 20 people here watching Ruth’s model trains run around the yard.  Also had a good time visiting and eating fried chicken.

Our next event is this Saturday, February 11 at the Tiki Restaurant in the FBO building at Fort Pierce. 

Future events:

February, 11, Fort Pierce, (FPR).
April 8, Flagler (FIN)

Please let me know by Thursday if you are going to try to come so I can give the restaurant an approximate headcount.  If you tell me you are coming, and can’t come do not worry about telling me, just do not come.   I do not want anyone flying for any reason if they shouldn’t.

Hope to see you soon,

Dave and Ruth
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Mooney Enthusiast,

While we had some IFR weather for our last event, in general it was better than forecast and we had 9 Mooneys and 1 Piper bring 16 people to Fort Pierce for a good time and good food.

Our next event is this Saturday, March 11 at the CJ Cannons Restaurant at Vero Beach (KVRB).  They have lost the use of their meeting rooms, so we will be meeting in the regular restaurant.  They are supposed to have a couple of long tables for us.

Future events:

April 8, Flagler (FIN)
May 13, St. Augustine ( SGJ).

Please let me know by Thursday if you are going to try to come so I can give the restaurant an approximate headcount.  If you tell me you are coming, and can’t come do not worry about telling me, just do not come.   I do not want anyone flying for any reason if they shouldn’t.

Hope to see you soon,

Dave and Ruth
11605 Lane Park Rd.
Tavares, FL. 
352-408-3343