New Avionics/Complete Panel for the Mooney

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little slow on this update. There was  a lot going on last week trying to learn and get comfortable with the new avionics. I flew out to AATG last Tuesday the 21st. Landon spent about 2 hours with me in 4AC going over the new panel and G3X, GTN, G5. After that we proceeded with our test flight. Everything went well with only a few minor squaks. Check paid :wacko:, paper work and manuals received. I departed Wednesday the 2nd for a nice long cross country, KGXY-KPNS, non-stop. 6.0 hours, 1039.9NM, 64Gal. Plenty of time on the 6 hour flight to play with the new avionics. I have a few more squaks that will be addressed at AATG's Fernandina Beach location 1st week of April. Here is the finished product.

Flight notes: 11,000, TAS160-166, 10.8-11.0GPH 50* LOP

1FA1DB5D-6311-4D86-8A4E-404FC4A00856.png

4FADD13B-C8E5-45C2-9D09-FC12B3EA887A.png

2 hours ago, Evan said:

Congrats! I'm glad you had as great of an experience as I did with AATG. Can't recommend them enough. 

How do you like the 2nd PFD on the Co-Pilot side? That is something I did not do but kind of regretting not doing it now...

Love having it. I like the ability to throw up traffic or Wx on that display. 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:09 AM, Evan said:

Can you use it to remove the EIS insert on your PFD?

Yes, I can put the EIS on the MFD and remove it but I found when I flew it, its nice to have the EIS strip right there. For TO, I make the EIS big on the MFD and go full screen PFD on the pilots side.

Goto love the new Tech. After getting squaks addressed in KFHB, flew back to KPNS. Weather tried to harass my route but the situational awareness of the new technology is priceless. Helpful vector combine with Nexrad and an occasional peak out the window makes a world of difference.

922BC68F-8AAE-468F-ACEB-052396EC4CF8.png

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, TheBearFlies said:

I am a little slow on this update. There was  a lot going on last week trying to learn and get comfortable with the new avionics. I flew out to AATG last Tuesday the 21st. Landon spent about 2 hours with me in 4AC going over the new panel and G3X, GTN, G5. After that we proceeded with our test flight. Everything went well with only a few minor squaks. Check paid :wacko:, paper work and manuals received. I departed Wednesday the 2nd for a nice long cross country, KGXY-KPNS, non-stop. 6.0 hours, 1039.9NM, 64Gal. Plenty of time on the 6 hour flight to play with the new avionics. I have a few more squaks that will be addressed at AATG's Fernandina Beach location 1st week of April. Here is the finished product.

Flight notes: 11,000, TAS160-166, 10.8-11.0GPH 50* LOP

1FA1DB5D-6311-4D86-8A4E-404FC4A00856.png

4FADD13B-C8E5-45C2-9D09-FC12B3EA887A.png

Is there a "blue range" on EGT that you can use to lean during a climb? Or do you use the numerical value? 

6 hours ago, hais said:

Is there a "blue range" on EGT that you can use to lean during a climb? Or do you use the numerical value? 

O1s get the blue box on the analog EGT instrument…

G1000 Os get a digital white box…

Leaning procedure is the same…. But the box is a different color…

The cool thing about Ovation EGTs…. The ship’s gauge is the seventh EGT sensor the plane has… it is calibrated unlike the traditional older EGT gauges…  those numbers have meaning.

Climbing in the blue box supplies cool EGTs in a range from 2-300°ROP… lean as the needle slides towards the edge of the box…   :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/6/2023 at 10:52 PM, carusoam said:

O1s get the blue box on the analog EGT instrument…

G1000 Os get a digital white box…

Leaning procedure is the same…. But the box is a different color…

The cool thing about Ovation EGTs…. The ship’s gauge is the seventh EGT sensor the plane has… it is calibrated unlike the traditional older EGT gauges…  those numbers have meaning.

Climbing in the blue box supplies cool EGTs in a range from 2-300°ROP… lean as the needle slides towards the edge of the box…   :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

I can’t figure out whether the G3X EIS has that. If it’s missing, I hope garmin will divert resources from auto land dev team to build us the lean box (they are working on auto land, right?  :)). 

19 hours ago, hais said:

I can’t figure out whether the G3X EIS has that. If it’s missing, I hope garmin will divert resources from auto land dev team to build us the lean box (they are working on auto land, right?  :)). 

+1 for auto land…

Servo controlled throttle to go with that…

:)

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, TheBearFlies said:

I've been quiet while I picked out the color for the panel. Looked at many colors from different powder coat providers. Not wanting to go with the typical flat black or gray and definitely not wanting feedback from the peanut gallery, I found the color. After talking with the tech's at Prismatic Powders, I was able to to pick my color and an option for a flat clear. AATG was able to show me both without the flat clear and with. Final decision was 3 step with the flat clear.

Prismatic Powders: Dragons Blood step 1, Dragons Blood step 2, Phantom Clear

Etching has started in white.

98BABDA6-4288-49E3-8B1B-02B57C362078.jpeg

BBF3671C-52CB-40CF-95C5-573B6041F83D.jpeg

C13A775C-06CD-4D4A-86ED-B4A18C2628AC.jpeg

0FAE7417-889A-4694-98D8-93B4D8EEBCF3.jpeg

What software did you use? I'm looking to redo my panel and I like having creative control and not dealing with a 3rd party for every little update etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 10:48 AM, FlybyNite said:

What software did you use? I'm looking to redo my panel and I like having creative control and not dealing with a 3rd party for every little update etc

Are you asking software version on the G3X’s or GTN’s? What ever is the latest. 

On 4/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, hais said:

So I waited to respond to this one till I dug deeper into the configuration setup and the manual. Yes it has the “Blue Range” that was on the original EGT. Because the G3X and Garmin EIS are certified and the original has the Blue, the Garmin has it also. Reference 2 pics. It shows on both expanded and compact modes. I tend not to use it and lean based on FF and CHT. 

IMG_1109.png

IMG_1180.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheBearFlies said:

Are you asking software version on the G3X’s or GTN’s? What ever is the latest. 

The software for creating the panel, was wondering if its an AutoCAD software or a simpler software for sending a layout file to vendor to cut the panel. Not looking to learn a full-blown AutoCAD  just for this perpose, just a  more of a simpler version. Tried some of the webbased one that wasn't to my liking

4 hours ago, FlybyNite said:

The software for creating the panel, was wondering if its an AutoCAD software or a simpler software for sending a layout file to vendor to cut the panel. Not looking to learn a full-blown AutoCAD  just for this perpose, just a  more of a simpler version. Tried some of the webbased one that wasn't to my liking

Sorry I have no idea. I paid AATG to do it all. I just picked the powder color. 

19 hours ago, TheBearFlies said:

So I waited to respond to this one till I dug deeper into the configuration setup and the manual. Yes it has the “Blue Range” that was on the original EGT. Because the G3X and Garmin EIS are certified and the original has the Blue, the Garmin has it also. Reference 2 pics. It shows on both expanded and compact modes. I tend not to use it and lean based on FF and CHT. 

IMG_1109.png

IMG_1180.jpeg

Thanks for researching, this is great. 

Side question: do you have tail wind subscription? :)