New Avionics/Complete Panel for the Mooney

While you have the interior out, check all the gussets on the tubular structure. On mine, the factory missed spraying epoxy primer into the area behind the gussets and there was some light surface corrosion starting. Easy to clean up and brush on some 2k primer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

What’s up with all the yellow circuit breakers caps? Seems to me you lose the effectiveness of them highlighting critical breakers (usually just autopilot and trim)?

Expect color coding for the next level of emergency…

What to do when the alternator takes a hiatus… power shedding…

Red for the things I need to kill immediately… AP and trim.

PP guessing only… Having an E-bus would be really cool… sort of auto shedding.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

What’s up with all the yellow circuit breakers caps? Seems to me you lose the effectiveness of them highlighting critical breakers (usually just autopilot and trim)?

When I purchased the plane, April 2022 I did not pay much attention to those initially. When it comes back, I'll review panel and emergency configurations.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:39 AM, ArtVandelay said:

The electrical loads for modern avionics are so low I wouldn’t bother except:
Lights which have switches.
Autopilot/electric trim which is already marked.

With all the avionics on, my 28V system draws about 11 A. I have a 16 Ah battery.

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

With all the avionics on, my 28V system draws about 11 A. I have a 16 Ah battery.

My 14V breakdown is:

10A for all lights 

12.5A for all avionics excluding AP, not counting radio transmissions.

I figure 2.5A for autopilot and servos.

So 25 amps, with 33Ah battery, that’s 1 hour with everything on, 2 hours shutting off lights and autopilot.

If I was crossing large distances without landing options it would be a concern.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s been a while but here is the latest update. Panel design is underway. Radio stack, see picture. I fly large fast airplanes for a living and the FCP (flight control panel) is always on top, thus my decision to put the GFC500 first, below the Annunciator panel. Audio next due to the fact that when it’s below the GTN650 the knobs are too close. STARTUS at the bottom. Below will be remote Co and ELT. We lost 23.6 pound of weight just in wire!:) Every pound counts. 

BDC1538A-C7D7-4756-A4CB-A5FBC91F0B44.jpeg

1DB2C580-2BC5-4593-AA7D-697B98F05D59.jpeg

8664D9A2-1817-44E6-97A4-E7066F0DBBCB.jpeg

5026ED54-5C0A-413C-9A1D-04297539F4CA.jpeg

F383C994-0EC4-4A87-8C1A-3CE4F6B77C4F.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheBearFlies said:

The G5 is my backup.

The problem is that not all failures are hard roll over and die failures. The GSU 25D and the G5 ADAHRS compare solutions continuously. If they differ, the G3X will annunciate a MISCOMPARE error, but it is up to the pilot to determine which is aberrant. The inexpensive AV-20-S gives you an immediate way to determine which Garmin instrument is having a bad day.

• Like 5

What is your total downtime for this upgrade?  This is at AATG? 

I realize these upgrades can be complicated but I find the time frame to be incredibly long.  Sarasota Avionics quoted me 3-4 months in their shop for an upgrade that did not include an autopilot.  I can’t comprehend using that length of time in a business environment. 

I can’t find it now but didn’t I read on MS where someone had his upgrade finished in 100-120 hours!  

Congrats on the new panel, please keep on with the updates..and pictures!

I realize these upgrades can be complicated but I find the time frame to be incredibly long.  Sarasota Avionics quoted me 3-4 months in their shop for an upgrade that did not include an autopilot.  I can’t comprehend using that length of time in a business environment. 

I can’t find it now but didn’t I read on MS where someone had his upgrade finished in 100-120 hours!

Mine took 100-120 hours but it’s not continuous, there’s some lull in the work, so ended up being 3-4 months. The panel was sent out to be painted, and then placarded, my JPI was sent out to be updated and then there’s the occasional AOG that takes priority, and then some odds and ends that had to be ordered.
All that adds delays, not to mention a hurricane that closed the shop for a week, someone gets sick, someone had to go to training, etc

Mine took 12 weeks, continuous for GFC 500, G3X/EIS, G5, PMA450B, GTN 650Xi GNC 255, GTX 345, new panel fab, CiES, reweigh, plus a few little things like removing antennas and plugging holes. I did not have to wait for any Garmin equipment and I understand that a lot of shops are building in contingency time for that now that Garmin is frequently backlogged. One thing that gets overlooked is that there are some Garmin boxes that go behind the panel and mounting means has to be fabricated for them.

I just talked to Greg Baker at Baker Avionics in Grants Pass, OR at a tradeshow yesterday. He's been doing a lot of Mooneys.

Skip

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:08 AM, Steve0715 said:

Congrats on the new panel, please keep on with the updates..and pictures!

AATG originally said approximately 8-10 weeks. The original plan was for me to drop the plane off the first week of December 2022. Due to the harsh and early winter in Colorado, I was not able to get the plane to them until right before Christmas. Serious work did not begin on the plane until after the new year holiday. So far it has been 7-8 weeks.

I've been quiet while I picked out the color for the panel. Looked at many colors from different powder coat providers. Not wanting to go with the typical flat black or gray and definitely not wanting feedback from the peanut gallery, I found the color. After talking with the tech's at Prismatic Powders, I was able to to pick my color and an option for a flat clear. AATG was able to show me both without the flat clear and with. Final decision was 3 step with the flat clear.

Prismatic Powders: Dragons Blood step 1, Dragons Blood step 2, Phantom Clear

Etching has started in white.

98BABDA6-4288-49E3-8B1B-02B57C362078.jpeg

BBF3671C-52CB-40CF-95C5-573B6041F83D.jpeg

C13A775C-06CD-4D4A-86ED-B4A18C2628AC.jpeg

0FAE7417-889A-4694-98D8-93B4D8EEBCF3.jpeg

DF7B4F8E-19AE-4868-AF23-7C96A3F8D940.jpeg

B95F12E7-A6CA-4640-B667-833B3F2BD872.jpeg

• Like 2