G5 IGRF Database out of date

Ragsf15e

I asked Garmin Support which G5 software version has the 2020 IGRF update and here is the response:

Software versions 6.72 & 6.82 for certified G5’s do not contain the updated IGRF model for 2020. If this is what you have installed in your G5, this will cause the message saying that their IGRF model is out of date as of the new year.  

Contact your Garmin dealer to have the G5's software updated to v8.00.

Best Regards,

Tim

Garmin Aviation Support

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

I asked Garmin Support which G5 software version has the 2020 IGRF update and here is the response:

Software versions 6.72 & 6.82 for certified G5’s do not contain the updated IGRF model for 2020. If this is what you have installed in your G5, this will cause the message saying that their IGRF model is out of date as of the new year.  

Best Regards,

Tim

Garmin Aviation Support

So it seems those of us with really old SW are the only ones likely to have the issue.

On a second note, do you have a direct (fast) connection to Garmin support?! ;)

6 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

So it seems those of us with really old SW are the only ones likely to have the issue.

On a second note, do you have a direct (fast) connection to Garmin support?! ;)

No, I was kind of surprised that I got a response a few minutes after I sent the email. If I ask a hard question it can take weeks. But, I imagine that this is a question they have been receiving a lot.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, PT20J said:

Best Regards,

Tim

Garmin Aviation Support

I had 6.2.

updating to the 8.0 solved the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It's pretty easy to do.    If your A&P or IA is willing to sign it off for you if you do it "supervised" that's an easy way to go.

Yep, this is where it’s handy to have a hanger neighbor IA who occasionally needs help carrying a random wing or holding a light for him.  Actually getting the software off Garmin’s site and putting it into the G5s is 10 minutes.  I did print out a new AFMS.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 12:35 PM, PT20J said:

No, I was kind of surprised that I got a response a few minutes after I sent the email. If I ask a hard question it can take weeks. But, I imagine that this is a question they have been receiving a lot.

It should never take more then 24 to 48 hours to get a response to an email sent into our aviation.support@garmin.com email address. I've responded and assisted Skip with a number questions. but I do my best to monitor the forums (I'm currently on 12 of them) and try and get answers as quickly as possible. but if there are ever any concerns please send me a PM on this forum and I'll do what I can to answer it.

This IGRF is a database loaded to the AHRS as it has been explained and happens every 5 years to adjust for the earth's constant moving magnetic poles. in some cases runway numbers are even changed to reflect this change over each 5 year period. as it was posted G5 certified software levels 6.72 and 6.82 did not have the monitors in it to watch this and on January 1st of this year the message shows up. the model is a 2020 version and it normally takes to the 2nd year to show the message. the next one will expire as well on Dec. 31st 2025 and this message will show up again for systems not updated on January 1st 2027.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TrekLawler said:

It should never take more then 24 to 48 hours to get a response to an email sent into our aviation.support@garmin.com email address. I've responded and assisted Skip with a number questions. but I do my best to monitor the forums (I'm currently on 12 of them) and try and get answers as quickly as possible. but if there are ever any concerns please send me a PM on this forum and I'll do what I can to answer it.

Trek, I appreciate you say that but my experience is it takes at least a week and sometimes much more to get a response to an email to aviation.support@garmin.com.  I don't really mind waiting as I would call for critical things but there is no status to give a sense of whether you will ever get an email response (and once or twice I've never gotten a response).

16 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Trek, I appreciate you say that but my experience is it takes at least a week and sometimes much more to get a response to an email to aviation.support@garmin.com.

Same for me, for what that's worth.  My most recent experience took nearly 3 full weeks to get a reply on the topic I mentioned above about "true heading".  To be fair, this took place leading up to and over the Christmas holidays.

Thank you for the feedback on this, this is no means our intention to have you wait this long for an answer to anything sent to our inbox. but to give a little background on our process, when an email is sent to aviation.support@garmin.com or avionics@garmin.com it goes to a general inbox that is manned by two of our teams here in our support area. One of them is our Field Service team (which myself and two other managers oversee) and our Pilot operations team. the FSE team normally handles the direct interfaces from our dealers and any technical questions that come from end pilots such as yourself. the Pilot Operations team handles most of the other database, Garmin Pilot, Fly.garmin and operational questions. Our FSE team usually averages around 220 phone calls a day and around 50 emails a day and can usually address these within hours. The Pilot operations team is another story, there are many more pilots then we have dealers calling in and on a database update week can easily average around 400 calls a day and hundreds of emails. but I would hope it would never take that long to get an answer to you. if there ever is a problem and it seems like a long time to get an answer I'm here to help, simply drop me a message with the email address it was sent from and I can look into it in the system and see what is going on, but as I indicated our goal is to get them answered within a couple of days.

1 hour ago, TrekLawler said:

Thank you for the feedback on this, this is no means our intention to have you wait this long for an answer to anything sent to our inbox. but to give a little background on our process, when an email is sent to aviation.support@garmin.com or avionics@garmin.com it goes to a general inbox that is manned by two of our teams here in our support area. One of them is our Field Service team (which myself and two other managers oversee) and our Pilot operations team. the FSE team normally handles the direct interfaces from our dealers and any technical questions that come from end pilots such as yourself. the Pilot Operations team handles most of the other database, Garmin Pilot, Fly.garmin and operational questions. Our FSE team usually averages around 220 phone calls a day and around 50 emails a day and can usually address these within hours. The Pilot operations team is another story, there are many more pilots then we have dealers calling in and on a database update week can easily average around 400 calls a day and hundreds of emails. but I would hope it would never take that long to get an answer to you. if there ever is a problem and it seems like a long time to get an answer I'm here to help, simply drop me a message with the email address it was sent from and I can look into it in the system and see what is going on, but as I indicated our goal is to get them answered within a couple of days.

given how many new G500 / G3X / GI275 / G5 / GFC500 installs going on right now just in this group, let alone all of GA, perhaps y'all might be a little short staffed?

56 minutes ago, rbp said:

given how many new G500 / G3X / GI275 / G5 / GFC500 installs going on right now just in this group, let alone all of GA, perhaps y'all might be a little short staffed?

What business isn’t right now???

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys keep informed of updates like this?  Do you rely on your avionics shop to tell you, do you check out the manufacturer websites periodically? When I was looking into this IGRF issue I just randomly found this and both my serial numbers are affected:

https://atlaske-content.garmin.com/filestorage//email/outbound/attachments/22013a_Time1644852998329.pdf

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/3PZHfyHuHk4mBgBhsEMZN9/

Some while back, Garmin changed its warranty database software. In the process, they apparently dropped some email addresses. So, if your Garmin equipment is registered in the warranty system and you are not getting alerts, Trek Lawler suggested emailing warranty@garmin.com and getting it sorted out.

Skip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 9:56 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Free for the G5s.

Just got my entire stack updated with firmware. 500 bucks  at baker in new Smyrna Florida. they did a great fast job. 
Two g5s, GTN 650, flight stream 510,  345 transponder…original install 2018. 

• Like 3