KI 256 maybe about to go?

gabez

Hello, 

I have a M20K 231 with an KFC 150, yesterday I noticed the plane was on a slow climb when in altitude mode and realized the KI was stuck pitch down ( I was able to reference the backup attitude). flew it manually and eventually it went back to normal. It may be time to overhaul or upgrade to a G5, any thoughts? 

thank you

IMG_1358.jpeg

Here is a thread on mooney space already discussing this subject but 10 years old. 

i just went through this myself and i went the overhaul route via bob Bramble at Aerolab: it was $1800. I did find other places that were as cheap as $1400 but the reviews were all over the place to include failing just after overhaul. Not to say Bob’s could not fail but he has great consistent reviews both here at mooneyspace and other sites and even he said out of doing this over 40 years he has only had a few come back on his 2 year warranty. My logic is that i have an electric ADI and two alternators and a battery. That is three power sources but relying on one type of power. I have an engine vacuum pump and an electric standby vacuum pump so 2 vacuum sources of which one doesn’t rely on electric power at all that i would give up if i got rid of the ki256. It’s a known quantity the ki256 and proven to be dependable. Also doing a instrument certification will add cost if you didn’t remove the altimeter when you did the upgrade. Also the KI256 is timeless as there isn’t a new version coming out to make it less desirable. I reference this to the G5 as soon as the gi275 came out now the G5 is not the newest thing. I didn’t have to pay for installation by staying ki256 and it keeps my options open for when or if i do upgrade the panel. 

• Like 1

Oh and he was fast! 2 day turn around! Unheard of in todays market of weeks if not months waiting on supply chain issues or labor force. One other interest tidbit of info i got from bob. He said the biggest thing i could do to prolong the life of the gyro is to fly frequently as the gyro sitting for prolong time in one position is not good for the bearings and races. He said since i have an electric vacuum pump that by just turning that on and letting the ki256 spool up to speed anytime i am over at the hanger would allow it to spin down and rest at a different spot and help with life of the gyro. Interesting thought and once again evidence that a frequently flown plane has less issues than one that sits. 

2 hours ago, gabez said:

Hello, 

I have a M20K 231 with an KFC 150, yesterday I noticed the plane was on a slow climb when in altitude mode and realized the KI was stuck pitch down ( I was able to reference the backup attitude). flew it manually and eventually it went back to normal. It may be time to overhaul or upgrade to a G5, any thoughts? 

thank you

IMG_1358.jpeg

Nice to see that you have a backup AI. The G5 won't do it though since it won't interface with the King Autopilot. As @Aerodon mentions, if you're going to go solid state you have to do the GI275.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Nice to see that you have a backup AI. The G5 won't do it though since it won't interface with the King Autopilot. As @Aerodon mentions, if you'e going to go solid state you have to do the GI275.

gotcha that sucks LOL I heard the waiting period is months. I may as well place an order now

I was just talking with the owner of the shop that works on my plane.  They are an authorized Garmin dealer and installer and a pretty big shop.  He said it is taking them anywhere from 4-6 months to get any Garmin products.  So put in your order well in advance of wanting the actual product installed.

26 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I was just talking with the owner of the shop that works on my plane.  They are an authorized Garmin dealer and installer and a pretty big shop.  He said it is taking them anywhere from 4-6 months to get any Garmin products.  So put in your order well in advance of wanting the actual product installed.

yeah it seems that way. I may go down the route of overhauling the KI 256. I had a G5 in my V-tail, I wasn't really loving it the 275 maybe a different story 

1 hour ago, Will.iam said:

Here is a thread on mooney space already discussing this subject but 10 years old. 

i just went through this myself and i went the overhaul route via bob Bramble at Aerolab: it was $1800. I did find other places that were as cheap as $1400 but the reviews were all over the place to include failing just after overhaul. Not to say Bob’s could not fail but he has great consistent reviews both here at mooneyspace and other sites and even he said out of doing this over 40 years he has only had a few come back on his 2 year warranty. My logic is that i have an electric ADI and two alternators and a battery. That is three power sources but relying on one type of power. I have an engine vacuum pump and an electric standby vacuum pump so 2 vacuum sources of which one doesn’t rely on electric power at all that i would give up if i got rid of the ki256. It’s a known quantity the ki256 and proven to be dependable. Also doing a instrument certification will add cost if you didn’t remove the altimeter when you did the upgrade. Also the KI256 is timeless as there isn’t a new version coming out to make it less desirable. I reference this to the G5 as soon as the gi275 came out now the G5 is not the newest thing. I didn’t have to pay for installation by staying ki256 and it keeps my options open for when or if i do upgrade the panel. 

thanks...I will check them put. I am still going to need an avionics person to take it out etc, don't I? 

7 minutes ago, gabez said:

thanks...I will check them put. I am still going to need an avionics person to take it out etc, don't I? 

Any A&P can take it out and put it back in. Mine was the original so still tuned to my kfc-150. Having said that, in cold temps when i first startup my autopilot fails and it maybe the voltage being too low so will fly up to bevans and have them look at that as well as making sure the ki-256 is matched to the autopilot while it’s there. 

2 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I just talked to bob, he will overhaul it in 2-3 for 1750 + 2 years warranty, I will go that route. thank you sir 

26 minutes ago, gabez said:

I just talked to bob, he will overhaul it in 2-3 for 1750 + 2 years warranty, I will go that route. thank you sir 

I wasn’t positive on price as I didn’t have the receipt in front of me but with shipping i think is where it got to be $1800