Vision Jet

Brandt

On 1/25/2023 at 6:33 PM, carusoam said:

Check the POH…

I would bet…

The chute is required for AW reasons… look in the limitations section for the chart… day, night, VFR, IFR…

Without the equipment… the plane would not be air worthy…

Of course… this is US FAA rules that don’t apply everywhere…

Go Mooney!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

It may well be.

But I am pretty sure that we have all broken a rule or 2.

Today I was sent to Quesnel in a company vehicle on business, pretty sure that once or twice I did at least 1 KPH over the speed limit.

Heck I may not have even stopped the full 8 feet back from a stop sign once, it could have been just 6 feet.

Those darn snow banks are hard to see around, especially in the company cars, I prefer my Ram 3500 its a lot higher, and better vis.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I own a Vision Jet.  I didn't buy it for the parachute.  

1) You can get in and out of the damn thing.  Seat slides back past door and makes ingress and egress a breeze.

2) It is stupid easy to fly compared to anything else anywhere close.  I flew the TBM and the M600 before the Vision.  TBM is just as fast but comfort isn't anywhere near comparable, especially for passangers.  The M600 is a great plane too but slower and has no place to put luggage.

3) Pilots with no turbine time can get insured.  Try that in a Honda Jet.  

4) You can't really compare it to a Phenom or Honda Jet.  First of all, it's a $3mm airplane.  I purchased mine for less than the cost of a TBM, and about half of what a new Honda Jet costs.  The Honda Jet flies at 360kts at 41k.  The Cirrus trues out at 310kts at 31k.  You can fly the Honda Jet faster, but you have to fly lower...fuel burn goes way up and range goes way down.  

Not a debate, just explaining the reason that some schmuck would buy a turboprop equivalent jet.  It's the same reason you learn in a 172 and your first plane might be a 182 and not a Mooney Acclaim.  It's a step.  Is my last plane a Cirrus Vision?  Probably not.  I am looking at something like a Phenom 300 but had I tried to go Acclaim-> Phenom 300 there was no WAY I was getting insurance or even a single pilot exemption for the first year or so.  The Cirrus Jet I flew home.

It's reasonably fast, compared to anythng burning AvGas...and it's easy to fly.  And it has a TON of interior room.  My kids love it ... my wife loves it... I love it...SF50.jpg.dc0b266dcb1c74218dc6f648c5e692ea.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bentonck said:

1) You can get in and out of the damn thing.  Seat slides back past door and makes ingress and egress a breeze.

2) It is stupid easy to fly compared to anything else anywhere close.  I flew the TBM and the M600 before the Vision.  TBM is just as fast but comfort isn't anywhere near comparable, especially for passangers.  The M600 is a great plane too but slower and has no place to put luggage.

4) You can't really compare it to a Phenom or Honda Jet.  First of all, it's a $3mm airplane.  I purchased mine for less than the cost of a TBM, and about half of what a new Honda Jet costs.  The Honda Jet flies at 360kts at 41k.  The Cirrus trues out at 310kts at 31k.  You can fly the Honda Jet faster, but you have to fly lower...fuel burn goes way up and range goes way down.  

Not a debate, just explaining the reason that some schmuck would buy a turboprop equivalent jet.  It's the same reason you learn in a 172 and your first plane might be a 182 and not a Mooney Acclaim.  It's a step.  Is my last plane a Cirrus Vision?  Probably not.  I am looking at something like a Phenom 300 but had I tried to go Acclaim-> Phenom 300 there was no WAY I was getting insurance or even a single pilot exemption for the first year or so.  The Cirrus Jet I flew home.

It's reasonably fast, compared to anythng burning AvGas...and it's easy to fly.  And it has a TON of interior room.  My kids love it ... my wife loves it... I love it...SF50.jpg.dc0b266dcb1c74218dc6f648c5e692ea.jpg

Great post. Any comments on the points made in the video re operational costs or otherwise?

• Like 1

I am not an excel stickler that tracks every last cost.  I pay for the JetStream program (everyone does as they include it) ... I have swapped already the tires, brakes, FCU, and a couple of control units all under warranty at a total cost of zero above the cost of the jetstream.

Oil use is negligible at 0,002 L/hr

fuel burn is right around 70/hr average in mixed use.  Basically it's 90g/the first half hour and then at altitude it drops to 60g/hr avg.

It's a fun, fun plane to fly and is stable as anything I've ever flown.  We call it the magic carpet, the view is fantastic out of the plane and it feels like you are floating!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread. I am facts guy - Cirrus claimed they wanted to build the safest GA airplane - they failed. Several different analyses over the years show that the Cirrus safety record is not significantly better than similar aircraft.

If we accept the fact that ~ 80% of aircraft accidents are of human error (pilots, ATC, mechanics, etc), humans are the main problem, not the airplanes....

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 1:17 AM, Bentonck said:

Very very cool! Well written and informative!

• Like 2

Great pirep Benton!

Flying around Brazil must be spectacular…

I have done some driving all around the world… a few places, I have only rode along…. São Paulo is one place I couldn’t master the driving… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, Canadian Gal said:

If my skills deteriorate to the point where I need autoland or a parachute to land, I will just voluntarily stop flying.

It's not you that needs autoland, it's the passenger next to you when you are slumped over.

We all like to think that could never happen to us, but my dad died the month after he turned 41 of a sudden heart attack with no previous symptoms. Although he had a pilot's license, thankfully he wasn't flying with his family that day. I was 7 months old and couldn't have stepped in. :)

The people that you fly around regularly should at least take a right-seat-ready class so they would have some chance of getting the airplane down in case you stop flying in-voluntarily.

• Sad 2