Today's flight for 2023

1 hour ago, amillet said:

Are they leasehold? Our local condo hangers are on land leased from the airport. Started out a 37 year lease back in the late80s.  I think there’s about 16 years left to go before everything reverts to the airport. They began selling them at 21,500, lately they’ve been selling for 60,000, but I assume the price will start going down with the short life left on the lease hold. 

Not really sure. I’ll find out when I get back.

They rarely come up for sale. They just get rented out.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, Hank said:

Amen, brother! This was a recent back-from-Thanksgiving trip in my C, and I'm still often surprised by what will fit in a short body.

20151128_134641.jpg.45d461f9084b1947cd1ffd628942b8fb.jpg

We really do fly remarkable airplanes. :)

….and you must do a remarkable job of packing!! That’s a lot of stuff!!

A little bit after I landed at Downtown KC Airport, this Mooney did a touch and go - I had my camera out as the storm behind the airport was pretty cool and lit well... So I grabbed the Mooney too.

image.jpeg

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

• Like 7

Have you ever felt like an aerial-Moses?

I was pretty darn sure that I was going to need to land short and wait for the storm line15f10181c828db5ba21fc0b028cb5070.png
to pass over the airport.

(Well. I did have to slow down and wait for the storm to pass over the airport (but without landing), but the parting path was nice.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had @aviatoreb stop for an overnight on his way to Portland OR yesterday for business.  It was refreshing and REWARDING to finally meet a Mooney Space friend of probably 15 years in person.  It was a great visit and I look forward to more face to face meetings in the future!!  Hoping to meet MORE Mooney Space members moving forward!!

Tom

IMG_2096.jpeg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I had @aviatoreb stop for an overnight on his way to Portland OR yesterday for business.  It was refreshing and REWARDING to finally meet a Mooney Space friend of probably 15 years in person.  It was a great visit and I look forward to more face to face meetings in the future!!  Hoping to meet MORE Mooney Space members moving forward!!

Tom

IMG_2096.jpeg

Thank YOU Tom!  You and your wife were so inviting and welcoming.  You really made an exciting trip even better.

And ... I had a flat tire in your hangar which you helped me with (code for Tom rounded up a tube on a Sat am, and then fixed it himself since I am mechanically useless with such things), and when you said what bad luck I got a flat I said, it was great luck - what a great place to have a flat with such wonderful help!  And got me on my way to complete my long flight the same day.  I took some gorgeous pictures I will try to post later today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a much more relaxing but warm flight this morning with an old friend. He's a very rusty pilot who was the inspiration for me getting my license, having failed the Navy flight physical because of my eyes at age 17 and thinking that meant I couldn't fly.

His first comment was wow, this is much faster than the Cherokee 180 he used to fly! Quite a compliment for my hard-working little C.  :D  We just flew around the lake, admiring the scenery and the many boats.

20230514_105705.jpg.8d37f121b5e76dfadd623e07af895e90.jpg

We were supposed to go yesterday when it was cooler, but the coolness was due to the conditions--OVC 200 - 600, Visibility 1/4 - 2 miles. Not very conducive to good flightseeing!

• Like 4

Flew across the Cascades to Pasco for oldest son’s birthday.  30 knot headwind on the way there but 30 knot tailwind on the way home. Heatwave in western Washington. 86 at the airport when I landed back in Sequim.

03831EB5-5DA5-4A9E-82D7-66280DDB70AB.jpeg

A18EF53F-C03F-485A-9C99-8C874A2B9CE0.jpeg

670F31D3-E9F6-4BE3-A8D3-713A481D88BA.jpeg

C93B3F9C-8422-4EA4-BEB6-ED94AB06D296.jpeg

• Like 6

This past weekend, I made the first really long trip in many years, LDJ-F45 (~EWR-PBI) with my son riding shotgun. its a 6-hour / 900nm trip with a stop for fuel.

the long legs gave me a lot of time to spend fine-tuning the panel set up in real-time:

1. I wish there was more commonality in the user interfaces among the G3X, the G5, the GTN750, and Garmin Pilot iPad app.  They are very similar, but some things (eg fuel flow calculation and flight plan setup) are quite different

2. I have been using both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot for the past year. ForeFlight has better trip planning but Garmin Pilot is far and above a better app in-flight. And a week ago, I had decided to upgrade FF to the Pro Plus package so I could test out Trip Assistant (a web app that does fuel stop planning), and after a number of exchanges with their support people, it issued errors and we could not figure it out. They issued me a refund. I will not renew FF. And Garmin Pilot has better integration with my "Big G" panel.

3. I had a multi-hour outage of FIS-B on the last leg, and I couldn't get the 1-minute weather at my destination. Although I had the EWR TAF from the briefing and I would be tuning in the AWOS when I got close, I definitely missed the en route WX

4. At altitude, running  29"/3400 at 1550 TIT, the CHTs would want to go above 400 with the cowl flaps closed, so I had to (a) trail the cowl flaps (middle position), or (b) reduce the TIT to about 1520. both hade a performance impact, but I didn't do a scientific comparison. option (b) required + ~0.5gph 

IMG_1174.jpeg

On Sunday, 5/21, had a lovely, well executed flight from Houston (6R3) to Tampa (KSPG) - 5 hrs, talked ATC into some shortcuts. Left at 6:30 am which helped to avoid summer buildups in Florida.

KSPG is my fav airport in Tampa Bay Area. 

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Ibra said:

Weekend trip to Lausanne (LSGL)

I wish I would have known. I could have come to meet you. (Although the weather was strange on Sunday and I couldn't fly on Saturday, so maybe it wouldn't have worked out anyway).

11 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

I wish I would have known. I could have come to meet you. (Although the weather was strange on Sunday and I couldn't fly on Saturday, so maybe it wouldn't have worked out anyway).

Yes Sunday was iffy across the place and needed a bit of flexibility on timing....let's catch up another time near LSZG, also, let me know when you ever come near Paris, Normandie or London, Essex? 

I recall seeing a Mooney J with sectional map on the tail in AstonFly hangars while flying there few years ago, with the backward tail, I don't know it it was north up or track up? :D

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1