Today's flight for 2023

• 3 weeks later...

Flew to Henderson for MAPASF PPP.  High winds across the Sierras so I flew down the Central Valley to avoid the mountain wave along V165, the most direct route. Been there, done that before. No luck getting Joshua Approach to let me fly in Restricted airspace so had to go all the way to Palmdale to turn east.  

E7648AC9-7A07-4BA9-9BB5-F52010ACA26B.jpeg

F06F486F-EE2C-414C-9EC8-01448CD4D4CE.png

478CE614-C9EE-4A16-979C-A88D37EEE2DE.jpeg

689DC5A8-16C9-468D-B3A2-34FB0AC162B3.jpeg

DE2623D7-641A-4651-9CCB-44CB9E2662F3.png

• Like 6

On 1/23/2023 at 8:46 PM, Jerry 5TJ said:

I never take pictures of my panel flying into a headwind.   

212A98A6-F9C5-4637-B9B5-8242E6EC24EC.jpeg.4e7c48549348e7ca610b0408bfeba1c4.jpeg

I am just getting a little time to catch up on Mooney Space.  Couldn't resist the temptation to reply to this post :D

I like tail winds too, in both the Lancair (burning 30 gallons an hour) AND my Mooney Rocket.

Tom

N994PT 409 Knots.jpg

N1017 L @ 275 Knots.jpg

• Like 1

Flew from Denver to Bozeman today. Had to go up to 16,000 to avoid icing. Highest I’ve ever cruised in the J. With the Mountain High system full open I still had to remember to breathe deeply to maintain above 90% O2 saturation 

41BB2A85-3568-48E0-BAB7-9F2188982EEA.jpeg

7F0F8F69-4C74-43CC-A5FB-D06F45661AE8.jpeg

7E5BAEEC-95C8-4F5B-ADE0-1F0F20FC19FD.jpeg

F6379638-319E-4BC7-AF4F-97251D82B2D7.jpeg

• Like 5

Returned home today from Bozeman after 5 days touring Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks, after a visit with son #2 in Georgetown TX.  The Mooney performed flawlessly over 32 flight hours (including the Henderson PPP) with instrument approaches to KGTU and KBZN.  We packed for 90 degree weather in Nevada and sub freezing at Yellowstone. Amazing how much luggage a mid body Mooney can hold ( I know I need to wash out the truck bed)

5CA78100-0883-4CAB-86D7-F1EE7AC7B6DA.jpeg

9CF6E13E-6406-4155-9100-D5FDBC8152AD.png

• Like 11

4 hours ago, amillet said:

Returned home today from Bozeman after 5 days touring Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks, after a visit with son #2 in Georgetown TX .     . . . Amazing how much luggage a mid body Mooney can hold ( I know I need to wash out the truck bed)

5CA78100-0883-4CAB-86D7-F1EE7AC7B6DA.jpeg

Amen, brother! This was a recent back-from-Thanksgiving trip in my C, and I'm still often surprised by what will fit in a short body.

20151128_134641.jpg.45d461f9084b1947cd1ffd628942b8fb.jpg

We really do fly remarkable airplanes. :)

• Like 2

The wife wanted to go to Jazz Fest and the Mooney is down because of the emergency extension cable. So my friend has been asking me to fly his newly resurrected airplane, so I flew it to New Orleans. I flew one from LA to Phoenix about 20 years ago. The first time I landed this plane was at the first fuel stop. It flys pretty good. Turbo Saratoga SP.

41802B62-D8CC-4CBF-A038-77B4B90B600F.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The wife wanted to go to Jazz Fest and the Mooney is down because of the emergency extension cable. So my friend has been asking me to fly his newly resurrected airplane, so I flew it to New Orleans. I flew one from LA to Phoenix about 20 years ago. The first time I landed this plane was at the first fuel stop. It flys pretty good. Turbo Saratoga SP.

41802B62-D8CC-4CBF-A038-77B4B90B600F.jpeg

Here is the story of this airplane,

A condo hangar came up for sale at KCHD. My friend (a MooneySpacer BTW) has been wanting a hangar for quite a while, so he bought the hangar for a very fair price. The catch was, the hangar came with this basket case airplane. The airplane was quite disassembled and had about an inch of dust on everything. So he and this AA mechanic who moonlights as GA mechanic, spent the next few months putting it back together. So after it was back together and the annual was signed off (not by me), he texted me wondering what to do next. The insurance company wanted a bunch of training or 50 hours in make and model. He decided he would just fly it for 50 hours and then buy insurance. So he asked me to fly it the first flight, I said I would go with him. The only thing I’m not is a CFI. So we scrubbed the POH and went through all the checklists with a fine toothed comb and he flew it with me as a passenger. It jumped right up into the sky! We identified a few squawks. And he fixed all of them. 

He has been asking me to go fly it, probably thinking I would just fly it around the local area, but no, my first flight was to the middle of Texas. As of today I have put the most hours on this plane in the last 15 years.

So, he paid a fair price for the hangar and got a free airplane, or paid a fair price for the airplane and got a free hangar.

I ruined my wife who has been flying with me in Mooneys for 20 years. When we got to NO she said “that plane is really comfy”.

That thing does 170 KTS all day long on 15 GPH. Not bad.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Our club Saratoga only does ~145 kts on 15gph.  I didn’t realize the turbo version was that fast. I like flying it, and it is a load hauler.

40 minutes ago, hubcap said:

Our club Saratoga only does ~145 kts on 15gph.  I didn’t realize the turbo version was that fast. I like flying it, and it is a load hauler.

I was flying at 2400 RPM and 24” should be about 65% on 15 GPH. It was truing at 170 KTS at 9000 feet. I was surprised it went that fast. Must be that crazy cowl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Here is the story of this airplane,

A condo hangar came up for sale at KCHD. My friend (a MooneySpacer BTW) has been wanting a hangar for quite a while, so he bought the hangar for a very fair price. The catch was, the hangar came with this basket case airplane. The airplane was quite disassembled and had about an inch of dust on everything. So he and this AA mechanic who moonlights as GA mechanic, spent the next few months putting it back together. So after it was back together and the annual was signed off (not by me), he texted me wondering what to do next. The insurance company wanted a bunch of training or 50 hours in make and model. He decided he would just fly it for 50 hours and then buy insurance. So he asked me to fly it the first flight, I said I would go with him. The only thing I’m not is a CFI. So we scrubbed the POH and went through all the checklists with a fine toothed comb and he flew it with me as a passenger. It jumped right up into the sky! We identified a few squawks. And he fixed all of them. 

He has been asking me to go fly it, probably thinking I would just fly it around the local area, but no, my first flight was to the middle of Texas. As of today I have put the most hours on this plane in the last 15 years.

So, he paid a fair price for the hangar and got a free airplane, or paid a fair price for the airplane and got a free hangar.

I ruined my wife who has been flying with me in Mooneys for 20 years. When we got to NO she said “that plane is really comfy”.

I didn't know there were condo hangars at KCHD!   

59 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I didn't know there were condo hangars at KCHD!   

There are about 100. They built them in the 90s. They were $25k when new and we all said we should buy a few. Well most of us didn’t. 

I should have bought 10 of them! They are going for 150 - 200K now.

All the hangars west of my building are privately owned.

And the ones west of the terminal building are private.

• Like 2

Are they leasehold? Our local condo hangers are on land leased from the airport. Started out a 37 year lease back in the late80s.  I think there’s about 16 years left to go before everything reverts to the airport. They began selling them at 21,500, lately they’ve been selling for 60,000, but I assume the price will start going down with the short life left on the lease hold.