I have a hole you don’t have…

Glen Davis

8 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

MS29513-031 times two, top and bottom, MS29513-006 times one and one impossible to get 5/8” stat o seal under the nut.

Thanks, mine was leaking some at the top and didn’t dare to try to take it apart without O-rings.

Is there any kind of work around for the Stat-O-seal?

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

Thanks, mine was leaking some at the top and didn’t dare to try to take it apart without O-rings.

Is there any kind of work around for the Stat-O-seal?

The one in the top at the pull ring end should be a MS29513-010.  At the moment there doesn’t appear to be any Stat o seals available or an alternate that I’ve been able to find.

8 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I also learned the hard way that you don’t check the gascolator by using a pin-type sump cup to push the valve open from below. The valve does not work that way. In my case the valve jammed open and spilled a couple of gallons before I could get it closed. You have to pull the ring from inside the cockpit with a container below and then you have to find a place to properly dispose of the fuel. It is so complicated I don’t bother anymore, I do check the wing sumps.

You can do both on my F but I use the pull ring. The gascolator spring feels like it is stronger than the springs in the wing sumps. Feel like it would be easy to snap the pin on the sample jar. In 20 years of Mooney flying, I have never seen water nor debris in a gascolator sample. I have found small bits of debris on the screen but that is all.

7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The one in the top at the pull ring end should be a MS29513-010.  At the moment there doesn’t appear to be any Stat o seals available or an alternate that I’ve been able to find.

Clarence, will these work?

httpswww.pegasusautoracing.com2021095_pdf.png.2b43e287c15984df29bd5531b1ec7773.png

They are Buna-N so I think they should, better than smearing a little fuel tank sealer on if one was nicked or something which is what I was considering.

The top of my gascolator cup where it has leaked some has a little white sticky residue, I’m afraid I’m going to find that someone put teflon pipe dope on the thing because it sure looks like that.

The washer is aluminum instead of steel, which might affect clearances if the aluminum crushes.    Might still be worth trying if nothing else is available.

Edit:

Looks like they have a couple of sizes of steel stat-o-seals, too:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=AF179

Edit^2:  Parker still shows them as available:

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/600-series-stat-o-seal

Only Stat O Seals I’ve used were aluminum I think, never really noticed to be honest, but yes the car place only has the 5/8 in steel I believe, is the Parker one for the gascolator steel?

I know, I only want to use MS or AN, but if they don’t exist using this car one is probably better than trying a plain washer with an O-ring or drilling a washer out and putting an O-ring in it or smearing fuel tank sealer on the old Stat O Seal.

OK just looked, the one for the brake master cylinders are definitely steel, so I was wrong and appear to be 3/16”

They actually have more sizes if you go aluminum

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3245

On 12/30/2022 at 5:27 PM, Glen Davis said:

I have a 1984 J. Under the cowling, on the pilot side, near the back of the nose gear door, I have a hole in the bottom of the cowling about the size of a quarter. Inside of that hole is a fuel petcock (drain)  like the ones on the wings. There is a placard next to it which says “gascolator drain”.   I have talked to other 1984 J owners who tell me they have no such hole and drain.  I can’t find anything in the POH preflight checklist discussing this, specifically draining some fuel during preflight inspection from this drain with a plastic fuel drain cup, looking for water.  Do any other J owners have this hole and drain?  Did I miss something in the POH?

09393D3C-85C0-4ECC-AEBC-E57B2C2537F9.jpeg

3C24DF8C-BEFC-484A-969F-BC5EEA6E492E.jpeg

DDF03DB4-88E0-4D87-A8D3-D6C14AA6DE5B.jpeg

I think that for some reason someone made the hole for the gascolator larger. The hole on my 84 mine is about 1/4 the size of yours.

Hole size in belly might depend on belly style. My one-piece belly gascolator drain looks like the OP’s. 

According to the IPC, Mooney used Shaw and Airight gascolators on the J. Mine is an Airight and has a red can. I believe the Shaw has a silver can. 

I never thought to try draining it from underneath, but I tried it and it works and I can’t see any harm in it. 

Skip

BEDA290A-FA22-4EA3-AEF3-1FD91B7DF792.jpeg.8720251f03b40caefd588186d4e9ca99.jpeg