Really BUSY IFR flight with superb ATC!!! Tons of traffic due to FL-GA game weekend. Easy with new avionics. :)

Fly_M20R

It was a perfect day to do practice approaches in actual IMC since ceilings were between 800 ft and 1500 ft around the area. Filed for a "round robin" flight noting in the remarks that I wanted to do practice approaches into KBQK and KJAX. Well..... you can't always get what you want!

The Jax approach controller was superb handling all the traffic. Non-stop coms!

Enjoy!

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I can watch your stuff all day. On final my eyes were glued to the wind direction and speed from the GI 275 on final and it was depicted exactly as the AWOS stated.

Thank you flybou0681! Glad you enjoy my videos. Wish I had time to edit more of them. Have a bunch of videos that I can end up posting. Time.....

It would be great if one could display the groundspeed on the HSI page of the lower GI275. Garmin told me at Oshkosh that they were coming up with a software update to enable that. Still nothing though.

Happy New Year!!

Chris, thanks for these! I find it very helpful to also listen and practice the instructions given by ATC - keeps me sharp on listening skills while plane is in annual or when I’m not flying in DFW bravo airspace. The circling was very interesting since they would not let you fly the RNAV 4. Wonder what options one would have if the ceilings were minimums and circling was not an option - and you had to do RNAV 4 due to strong winds. I would have to come back and say have to due to winds and ceilings.

Keep it up!

-Don

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammdo said:

Chris, thanks for these! I find it very helpful to also listen and practice the instructions given by ATC - keeps me sharp on listening skills while plane is in annual or when I’m not flying in DFW bravo airspace. The circling was very interesting since they would not let you fly the RNAV 4. Wonder what options one would have if the ceilings were minimums and circling was not an option - and you had to do RNAV 4 due to strong winds. I would have to come back and say have to due to winds and ceilings.

Keep it up!

-Don

Hi Don,

Thank you for your comments. This busy day required one to have full attention or would easily miss a call from the really skilled approach controller.

If ceilings had been too low for a circling approach then I would stated "unable RNAV 13" and asked to hold at WILNA (the IF/IAF) prior to the FAF until they could clear me on the approach. They would assign a hold altitude and an EFC. Have held there a few times when they had traffic landing and taking off from JAX runway 08, or traffic going to CRG on runway 14. If they could not have me hold at WILNA then they would have likely sent me to hold at another waypoint, possibly the missed approach hold which is NW of the airport over water. Definitely a delay, but they would work it out. This was a very unusual situation as to how busy they were.

Chris

• Thanks 1