JPI RPM sensor

Rmfriday

After trying unsuccessfully to install the RPM sensor on my 0-360 C model it appears that the mag needs removed to install the sensor.

The is a vent plug that is very easy to access on the "top" of the mag but it is apparently only for timing and inspection, the vent plug that gives access to the rotating magnet is on the other side of the mag and pretty close to the rear accessory case. Is this in line with what everyone else has experienced?

Yes, sometimes you have to remove the magneto to install the sensor. We have had fairly good luck avoiding this by using a quarter inch drive ratchet screwdriver which looks like a quarter inch drive ratchet with a flat screwdriver bit which will fit in almost anywhere to turn the screw the back that plug out, and then you can stick to plug in and then turn it with wrench but anyway yes it’s tight

3 hours ago, Rmfriday said:

After trying unsuccessfully to install the RPM sensor on my 0-360 C model it appears that the mag needs removed to install the sensor.

The is a vent plug that is very easy to access on the "top" of the mag but it is apparently only for timing and inspection, the vent plug that gives access to the rotating magnet is on the other side of the mag and pretty close to the rear accessory case. Is this in line with what everyone else has experienced?

Yup.  Put it on the right mag in case you ever want to replace the left with a Surefly.  Also FWIW the connector for my sensor to the harness was incredibly finicky and would give whacked out readings for a long time.  Replacing the sensor via  JPI made no difference. Finally painting the contacts with Stabilant 22, a trivially easy fix, solved the issue. 

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC, it goes in the octagonal aluminum plug that has tiny holes in it.  Typically on the bottom of the left mag.  I had mine installed on the top of the right, and Maxwell moved it to the bottom of the left.  Sure there is a reason, but it worked on the right.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...