Mooney model guidance

ceep3PO

Greetings from upstate New York.  I’m new to MooneySpace and to flying for that matter.  I’m a student pilot currently training in a Piper Archer II but starting to look for my first plane.  I’ve narrowed my search down to the Mooney M20 for the speed, efficiency and decent payload.  But I’m really baffled by all the choices out there.  I’ve been looking at J models and newer.  Can anyone offer guidance on J’s verses K’s, or M’s, or R’s?

The performance of the early J’s seems to be as good as the newer J’s and very efficient at an economical price.  But there is a draw to the faster turbo models or the six cylinders.  And, of course, a lot of the early J’s have older avionics.  I hate the thought of buying a plane just to turn around and spend half again as much on updating the instruments.

I realize that everyone has their own opinion, and asking owners who has the best plane is asking for trouble, but I sure would appreciate some advice from anyone out there willing to share.  Suggestions, recommendations, warnings, what do you think?  Then, once we have settled this issue, I can start a new thread on how to define upstate New York.

Thanks, ceep

4 minutes ago, ceep3PO said:

The performance of the early J’s seems to be as good as the newer J’s and very efficient at an economical price.  But there is a draw to the faster turbo models or the six cylinders.  And, of course, a lot of the early J’s have older avionics.  I hate the thought of buying a plane just to turn around and spend half again as much on updating the instruments.

First, welcome to MooneySpace!  Second, while you will get more responses than you expected, I'll just say the main reason for M20K over M20J is performance at high density altitude and, therefore, the ability to get over most weather, or climb above most icing -- not so much a speed thing.  The M20K is faster, but not by much.

ceep, welcome to Mooneyspace! Lots of factors that go into finding the right plane for you. Intended use (mission), budget, and mandatory vs desired equipment are three big drivers.

I recommend you set a budget before seriously looking at planes, get your IFR ticket, find and meet up with various Mooneyspacers and get a flight in the models you've narrowed down.

Everyone here has great insight and can give you the pros/cons on the various models.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is also a webpage that can help a little with the older models.  It stops at 2006 so it does not include some of the newer models.  It talks about what was standard in each model Mooney as it come into the world.  Of course, most have been modified, especially in the avionics department.

Mooney Model Chronology (mooneyevents.com)

My advice is to buy the newest nicest Mooney you can comfortably afford. The bigger engine is nice, but far from necessary. The turbo is very nice, but not necessary. The J model will do close to what the newest and nicest will do. In fact, a J will perform as well (or perhaps a smidge better) than my K model up to about 8000 ft. Only above that level does the turbo start to shine. But be careful what comfortably will mean to you. I suspect one who has not owned a plane has no real idea about the costs involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J vs K is not fair. J is the defining Mooney. Ultimate speed, lowest fuel burn, lowest maintenance. The J has a walk-on-water reputation for a reason. K is completely different. Turbocharged, high altitude, long range screamer. Usually best suited for a guy traveling alone (because you will be on oxygen) on long trips. I think mine used to do 192 kts on 11.7 gallons. You can cross the country fairly quickly. But this capability comes at a price. The K doesn't have the indestructible Lycoming IO-360 like the J. So expect higher/more frequent engine bills. The later model R vs M comparison  is the same song at a different volume. A physic would say you have Mooniac tendencies. Enjoy the trip.

And may the force be with you

• Like 1

@ceep3PO I’ve only been on MS for a short time and like you, came here looking to get educated quickly. The quickly part is the problem with that scenario. You can get quick answers to specific questions, but what you seek is knowledge, and that takes considerably more time. When I came here, I was in love with the 252 because it came out when I was in college and was immediately on my bucket list. I will tell you that when you start actually looking at individual planes seriously, your priorities most likely will shift. The more information you absorb, the clearer you’ll be able to see what is right for you.

Define your realistic flying mission and define your budget. Be realistic about what you are comfortable spending every month for several years and let that better define what you’re looking for.

What has been very beneficial to me is to read tons of posts here and start living the “Mooney life” with all of the owners here. You can live the life through their experiences and you’ll be amazed at where your knowledge will be in a matter of months. I came here dead set on wanting a gorgeous 252, but I haven’t looked at one yet, but I have looked at F’s, G’s and J’s. Six cylinders and a turbo may be in my future, and maybe that sexy 252 I dreamed about in my earlier years will become a reality some day.

Enjoy the process!

R2

• Like 2

I got my ppl in Cherokees, then went on to the 172 and a piper Dakota 235. then I moved into the complex mooney. don't rush your transition into the mooney. 

I would spend time here learning about the different models and I would really figure out what your mission is. 

once you have that figured out, then start to really think about operating costs. owning your own aircraft may be more expensive than you think. everyone has their own opinion on which plane to buy and how to go about upgrades the bottom line is you need to do what works for you. a high performance, turbo, tks mooney is gonna be a lot more to maintain & operate than a J model. if its your forever plane buy as much as you can. if you think your moving on soon or just building time buy the most economical, capable plane you can afford.