Best price for shock disks?

RobertGary1

6 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Honestly (and I'm not sure what taxes you'd pay), Spruce has the best pricing I've seen.  I can't even get close to this with my Aviall account, so I'm relagated to Spruce until someone comes along and beats their pricing.

image.png.15a19762cb5440c0bfa8fd8816cf767b.png

They charge tax. So does chief. Maybe I’ll check with Maxwell. 

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Spruce is going to charge tax on where they ship it.

If you have a friend where they can ship it to in Oregon (no tax), they would have to turn around and ship it to you - by the time you pay the shipping from OR-CA you still might save a few dollars.

Same with with Fl. so long ad the tail number you give them is registered in Fl

On 12/26/2022 at 11:49 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Where are people buying them now?

I checked with Herber in October 2022 and this was the best quote I got ($137.04 each when you buy 11 plus credit card fee - I Imagine you could send a check and have them ship upon receipt):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/momwqdggrvzixm0/967396-QUOTE CUSTOMER.pdf?dl=0

• 3 months later...
57 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Long live the hydraulic oleo strut! About $50.00 in materials and the same amount of labour.  Lord Corporation sure praises their stuff highly.

Softer touchdowns, too.

The Mooney landing gear is not a terrific design: Too many wear parts in the steering linkage lead to sloppy nosewheel steering; restricted turn radius and no, or insufficient, stops (depending on the model) make the nose gear susceptible to towing damage; stiff shock disks that are overloaded in long bodies and thus need frequent replacement; a main gear design that coupled with the aft placement of the spar in the laminar flow wing puts the main wheels fairly far aft making the airplane nose heavy; an emergency gear extension mechanism that only protects against electrical or motor failures; and a retraction actuator that includes an unobtanium life-limited spring. But, other than that, it's a wonderful design.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, PT20J said:

Softer touchdowns, too.

The Mooney landing gear is not a terrific design: Too many wear parts in the steering linkage lead to sloppy nosewheel steering; restricted turn radius and no, or insufficient, stops (depending on the model) make the nose gear susceptible to towing damage; stiff shock disks that are overloaded in long bodies and thus need frequent replacement; a main gear design that coupled with the aft placement of the spar in the laminar flow wing puts the main wheels fairly far aft making the airplane nose heavy; an emergency gear extension mechanism that only protects against electrical or motor failures; and a retraction actuator that includes an unobtanium life-limited spring. But, other than that, it's a wonderful design.

Skip

Hang on now, this a Mooney forum where we can’t speak ill of our Mooneys!

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Personally I think Al’s original mechanical gear, in particular, was quite elegant and ingenious in it’s design. Having previously owned a Cherokee 180, if I had wanted an Arrow or a Comanche I would have bought one.  

I agree, the design is good, but you can’t overlook its limitations now.  Skip points out a number of them above.