Full Panel Transformation Complete!

Ryan ORL

Out with the old, in with the new!

I've been without my Mooney for just over 2 months, but I just recently got it back from a total overhaul of the panel... it feels like a totally different airplane!

After fighting continuously with the unreliable Aspen analog autopilot interface issues (ever since I bought the plane), I finally threw in the towel earlier this year and decided it was time to go all-in on the panel.

Originally I had planned to do 2x GI-275s and a GFC500 only, but I decided that, as much as I loved the GNS480, no panel upgrade made sense where I left that as-is, and I wanted VNAV anyway.  After considering also adding a newer engine monitor (another GI275 or an EDM), I decided the cost difference was small enough to just go to the full G3X solution.  I also elected to replace the GTX330ES with the 345 so that I could link the G3X and GTN to the ADS-B in data without another converter box.  Even went with a new audio panel for the Bluetooth features.  (Very important to the wife!)

Ordered everything back in March, and then waited in the 6+ month Garmin order backlog (mainly for the GTN and GTX), but it finally went into the shop the first week of October, and I picked it up December 9th.

Did several test flights, had the shop fix a couple small bugs, but it's all working flawlessly now.  Can't wait to get back out there and fly more adventures!  (Goal is to hit at least 6 or 7 more states this coming year, probably to Colorado and back)

Panel photos attached, after and before.

New: G3X Touch + G5 Backup w/ EIS, GTN650Xi, SL30 (only old part retained), GFC500 (3 servo), GTX345, GMA345, GDL51R

Old: Aspen E5 + ACU + EA100, Insight G3 Engine Monitor, Garmin GNS480 (loved that unit), SL30, King KAP 150 (non-functional since January due to another faulty Aspen EA100), GTX330ES, GMA340

For anyone interested, all the old stuff will be going up on MS soon, once I get to photographing and documenting everything.

237693C0-EFDB-487C-A049-E134F0CDD4A8.jpeg

BC6A4B31-5D96-4E30-A61C-6414B363C270.jpeg

83DDCB06-79E8-4538-AF34-B6ADEE330583.jpeg

F6F204F4-E624-44C5-9174-8E1DA57D4C09.jpeg

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, 7.Mooney.Driver.0 said:

Such a small world. I actually got to see the installation on your airplane. I took mine in for IFR cert not long ago and your was there being worked on, they mention the owner was out of ORL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, definitely small world!  They did great work, very happy with them.  Before I ordered mine, I visited their shop and looked at a G3X in a Cherokee Six they had done.  Looked great also.

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

And you kept the antiquated standalone microphone?

lol, to be honest I didn't even think about it.  I'll probably throw it away... it's just plugged into a second mic jack.  I didn't have the mic jacks re-wired since I already had a GMA340 and everything was already wired up right.  But I've never used it... I just forget it's even there :)

On 12/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Ryan ORL said:

lol, to be honest I didn't even think about it.  I'll probably throw it away... it's just plugged into a second mic jack.  I didn't have the mic jacks re-wired since I already had a GMA340 and everything was already wired up right.  But I've never used it... I just forget it's even there :)

Mic and jack is a backup for a stuck yoke mic switch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

A backup for such an occurrence is readily available, plug your headset into copilot jacks and use its transmit switch.

Chances are the stuck switch is tied to the 1960s microphone circuit so it won’t work anyway.

That works if the pilot’s PTT fails open, but won’t work if it is stuck closed unless the audio panel has a split mode. Also, I tried it and found it hard to reach the copilot’s jacks and awkward to use the copilot’s PTT. I added a PTT button to the console jacks and I can easily plug the headset into the console jacks if the pilot’s PTT fails. The jacks are hardwired to Com 1 so in the case of a stuck pilot’s PTT, I just select Com 2 on the audio panel which will cause the GNC 255 to time out after 30 sec and I can plug the headset into the console and carry on with Com 1. I have a spare headset and did ditch the pillar mounted mic.

That works if the pilot’s PTT fails open, but won’t work if it is stuck closed unless the audio panel has a split mode. Also, I tried it and found it hard to reach the copilot’s jacks and awkward to use the copilot’s PTT. I added a PTT button to the console jacks and I can easily plug the headset into the console jacks if the pilot’s PTT fails. The jacks are hardwired to Com 1 so in the case of a stuck pilot’s PTT, I just select Com 2 on the audio panel which will cause the GNC 255 to time out after 30 sec and I can plug the headset into the console and carry on with Com 1. I have a spare headset and did ditch the pillar mounted mic.

I have split mode and found (yes, I’ve tried it) the jacks and PTT are easily in my reach, depends on your build I guess although I wouldn’t want to do it in turbulence/IMC.

I did similar, different philosophy, I wanted to get rid of the old: No annunciator, no Klixon CB switches, no vacuum pump, no pilar mounted compass, no microphone.

8f4eac2a10fa41f12e3fc6dfda384bb3.jpg
  • Like 6

I decided to unplug/remove it, but it just plugs into a second pilot side mic jack.  I suppose if I needed to I could plug my headset into that?  I keep a separate external PTT switch in my flight bag since I also instruct in other airplanes.

29 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I did similar, different philosophy, I wanted to get rid of the old: No annunciator, no Klixon CB switches, no vacuum pump, no pilar mounted compass, no microphone.

Can't fault any of that. I think it's important to have a philosophical underpinning for a design -- otherwise you're just adding/changing stuff for perhaps no good reason. I especially like the panel mount compass idea. Did you have any problem getting it to compensate?

Skip

Can't fault any of that. I think it's important to have a philosophical underpinning for a design -- otherwise you're just adding/changing stuff for perhaps no good reason. I especially like the panel mount compass idea. Did you have any problem getting it to compensate?
Skip

No, biggest discrepancy after 1st pass is 3°. There’s no steel support nearby, the modern avionics are more efficient and don’t create a big magnetic footprint.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, ArtVandelay said:

I have split mode and found (yes, I’ve tried it) the jacks and PTT are easily in my reach, depends on your build I guess although I wouldn’t want to do it in turbulence/IMC.

8f4eac2a10fa41f12e3fc6dfda384bb3.jpg

Beautiful panel!

Question though, is that a "whiskey" compass? If so, they all eventually leak at some point - I would hate to see it leak the kerosene-like fluid into the electronics on your GFC500 controller. For a few years Mooney embedded the compass in the glareshield and I believe that compasses leaking is why they moved it back to the post.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Beautiful panel!

Question though, is that a "whiskey" compass? If so, they all eventually leak at some point - I would hate to see it leak the kerosene-like fluid into the electronics on your GFC500 controller. For a few years Mooney embedded the compass in the glareshield and I believe that compasses leaking is why they moved it back to the post.

Thanks!

The GFC controller is a rather simple electronics box, and therefore doesn’t require ventilation, there’s no vents except a a small slot on each front side which I think is for a mounting it snaps into, so any leaking should drip harmlessly to the floor. BTW, kerosene is a poor conductor of electricity, so it shouldn’t short out the electronics even if it gets in, the go around switch is also under it, but a cheap part to replace.

• Like 1

Does the G3X have a VOR indicator for elevation and lateral guidance? I was wondering how you do ILS approaches. Mine has two. I believe that are for bringing in 2 VOR locations to give a fix for a plane location although I almost entirely use GPS.