Under Belly Fuselage Panel Swap

Rotorhead

All,

Looking for possible replacements for my 1981 J's bottom panels after a gear-up landing. I know we could re-fabricate them but looking to see if it may be faster to just buy 'new' ones and replace them. 

Anyone know if any other Mooney bottom fuselage panels will fit/ match my model? 

Appreciate the insight.

-KC

I'm planning to electively upgrade to the fiberglass belly over the winter, and plan to sell my old belly panels later... unfortunately likely too late for you.  As big as the holes are after 45 years, I suspect they would fit any J just fine.  :P  If it were me, I'd just order a sheet or two of the correct aluminum, and use your old ones for patterns.  It is simple work.  I figure any factory panels are now almost 40 years old at the youngest, and would have any number of dings, random antenna holes, etc. that you might not want on yours.

Earlier this year I discovered a chain store called Metal Supermarket that can get you any quantity of just about any metal, and at a good price.  They'll cut it down too, if needed, so you don't over-buy, or have trouble wrangling an 8' sheet of thin stuff.  There might be one close to you.

• Like 5

On 12/23/2022 at 3:34 PM, KSMooniac said:

I'm planning to electively upgrade to the fiberglass belly over the winter

Scott,

I'm curious why you would preemptively replace your belly with a one-piece panel. Isn't that an expensive and labor-intensive project? 

I get that the one-piece belly is superior, but is it really that much better?

No judgement, just curious. 

On 12/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, KSMooniac said:

I'm planning to electively upgrade to the fiberglass belly over the winter, and plan to sell my old belly panels later... unfortunately likely too late for you.  As big as the holes are after 45 years, I suspect they would fit any J just fine.  :P  If it were me, I'd just order a sheet or two of the correct aluminum, and use your old ones for patterns.  It is simple work.  I figure any factory panels are now almost 40 years old at the youngest, and would have any number of dings, random antenna holes, etc. that you might not want on yours.

Earlier this year I discovered a chain store called Metal Supermarket that can get you any quantity of just about any metal, and at a good price.  They'll cut it down too, if needed, so you don't over-buy, or have trouble wrangling an 8' sheet of thin stuff.  There might be one close to you.

Given the delays that @Rotorhead is likely to encounter for the other parts that are damaged, I would say that "winter" is perfect timing.  

Insight….

For pre-flown parts…

@Alan Fox

@Jerry Pressley

@SheryLoewen

For new parts call your favorite MSC…

if you don’t have a favorite we can assign one for you….

Lasar is a popular goto place for many Mooniacs…

Mooney, aka ‘the factory’ is still open, and in the parts building business…

Best regards,

-a-

Insight….
For pre-flown parts…
[mention=7207]Alan Fox[/mention]
[mention=12721]Jerry Pressley[/mention]
[mention=8463]SheryLoewen[/mention]
For new parts call your favorite MSC…
if you don’t have a favorite we can assign one for you….
Lasar is a popular goto place for many Mooniacs…
Mooney, aka ‘the factory’ is still open, and in the parts building business…
Best regards,
-a-

My belly parts were becoming rather worn out and I replaced them with a one piece belly cover that Alan Fox got me.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I'm particularly fond of my one piece.  I even clean it from time to time...  with those skids, gotta wonder if it might even make a gear up or off airport landing a little more survivable.  

Side note... what's with that tear drop hole at the aft end of the nose gear well?  Should that have a cover?  

IMG_4346.jpeg

4 hours ago, DCarlton said:

I'm particularly fond of my one piece.  I even clean it from time to time...  with those skids, gotta wonder if it might even make a gear up or off airport landing a little more survivable.  

Side note... what's with that tear drop hole at the aft end of the nose gear well?  Should that have a cover?  

IMG_4346.jpeg

Who’s STC is that?  The one I installed from SWTA on my second E model was flat.

4 hours ago, DCarlton said:

IMG_4346.jpeg

That looks like the Mooney Ski Kit for the Artic.

Seriously though that would definitely provide some protection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Who’s STC is that?  The one I installed from SWTA on my second E model was flat.

I'll have to look it up.  I have about every airframe STC known to the M20F universe from a mix of companies.  I have all the original installation drawings and STC paperwork. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCarlton said:

I'll have to look it up.  I have about every airframe STC known to the M20F universe from a mix of companies.  I have all the original installation drawings and STC paperwork. 

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I think it is an Air Mods Inc SA4080NM

No longer available  

https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/EB2049E65E659A0885256CC2000C60A7.0001

D00BE791-7341-4E0E-8598-6E33B9EAA980.jpeg.ec2b3abf8c3e361338335bed4f679203.jpeg

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, John Mininger said:

Scott,

I'm curious why you would preemptively replace your belly with a one-piece panel. Isn't that an expensive and labor-intensive project? 

I get that the one-piece belly is superior, but is it really that much better?

No judgement, just curious. 

Fair question... I've owned my plane for 16 years now and have been steadily improving her through sweat equity with projects like this.  I have a reasonably-priced salvage belly kit and just need to make the time for the installation that I will do myself under supervision.  It is my hobby, after all!  I will try to bury a couple of antennas in my never-ending quest for drag reduction, and enjoy the easier access for many years to come.  Hopefully it will make my plane a smidge faster, perhaps quieter too.  We'll see!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rotorhead said:

Does anyone happen to know which antennas these are that I need to replace??

AL9nZEUPVklIR6pPjRBWww2cIp42CKZI5ZRMiXgySpdA-rjlx7MpjRQY1oYTmEE11vn-TDaZC_fpy5LGTLxCLwotcbE_OjG_b5HjpaMpjcRNQbcnmrtNtAw-F_5mcxoP-wk9FzYKVC3gqLwdKsiF1RZts67e=w1373-h1823-no?authuser=2

AL9nZEV42USAER8MBBmnkyz5_0_dWZb2sTrvadwItg6MOjAcbYY-D62G3KvvflMISt976GeCR_qJ4xHZQnZ_nyrOxuILv5n_3Di8m5W8SPE421DIQ8RiV9c4ktvE4VKpWorDP7J432TbrCtBMgUfwCtZKnxK=w1373-h1823-no?authuser=2

The top one looks like it may have been a marker beacon antenna, although it's a little tough to tell.   The bottom one is a VHF comm antenna.

• Like 1

Marker beacon. It's too big and fat for a transponder. It it were me, I wouldn't replace it since marker beacons are disappearing. I didn't even get the marker beacon receiver when I ordered a new audio panel. But, if you want one, I'm pretty sure I still have the one we removed. 

• Like 1

I just figured something out. There must me a lot of old marker beacon antennas around that have been removed. It looks like this one protected part of the belly on this airplane. So if we mounted four (two forward and two aft) on the belly as skids, maybe it would reduce repair costs if the no-back spring breaks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I just figured something out. There must me a lot of old marker beacon antennas around that have been removed. It looks like this one protected part of the belly on this airplane. So if we mounted four (two forward and two aft) on the belly as skids, maybe it would reduce repair costs if the no-back spring breaks?

Maybe we could get a reduction in insurance premiums if we install enough old antennas to protect the belly during gear up landings.