California fly-out February 2023

FlyingCanuck

Continuing the idea of a bi-monthly fly-out, after our fun at CMA before Christmas.

How about Sunday February 19, 12 pm, at Watsonville (KWVI)? Rain date to be Sunday February 26.

If anyone needs a ride from central California, I'll be coming from San Luis Obispo (SBP) and happy to pick folks up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Looks like you guys had a great time. Sundays are out for me.

Sorry to hear that! I suspect the Sat vs. Sun challenge will mean that we aim to alternate each bi-monthly, flipping between Saturdays and Sundays to try to accommodate most folks.

(Or, we split the difference, and start doing over-nighters that include BOTH Saturday AND Sunday! :D :D :D)

39 minutes ago, FlyingCanuck said:

Sorry to hear that! I suspect the Sat vs. Sun challenge will mean that we aim to alternate each bi-monthly, flipping between Saturdays and Sundays to try to accommodate most folks.

(Or, we split the difference, and start doing over-nighters that include BOTH Saturday AND Sunday! :D :D :D)

Most likely whichever way it goes it won't work for someone. Glad you are putting these together, it's good to see a bunch of Mooney's on the ramp.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:16 AM, FlyingCanuck said:

This seems like a good suggestion.

How about Feb 18 lunch and overnight and also lunch Sun. At Watsonville lunch for Sat only people, I would usually like to stay overnight ( Santa Cruz beach) and then another lunch at same airport Sun for those that can only come Sun? IDK if that is practical? Seems ok to me.

Harris Ranch has rooms Sat March 18 for under $200. Same thing Sat lunch for some, stay overnight for some, then Sun lunch for those that can only do Sun.

Big Bear for April? Tahoe for May? STS for June? And for all of these if Wx is IFR, postpone for following week.

Tom

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jorge0272 said:

Can't wait to get myself a Mooney and do one of these fly ins. Looks like a lot of fun. 

Welcome to MooneySpace!  By all means, get the nicest Mooney you can afford.  Meanwhile, hang out here and read everything you can.

EDIT:  I see you are not new to MooneySpace, so I will change my greeting to "Congratulations on your first post."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fly Boomer said:

Welcome to MooneySpace!  By all means, get the nicest Mooney you can afford.  Meanwhile, hang out here and read everything you can.

Thanks!

Only need two seats, so the Mooney makes sense to me compared to Brand B. Maybe I will drive over to one of the fly ins if it gets close enough to me and check out a Mooney. I am sure someone would let me sit inside to see what they feel like. 

1 minute ago, Jorge0272 said:

Thanks!

Only need two seats, so the Mooney makes sense to me compared to Brand B. Maybe I will drive over to one of the fly ins if it gets close enough to me and check out a Mooney. I am sure someone would let me sit inside to see what they feel like. 

As with most small General Aviation airplanes, it is a balancing act between seats, fuel, and baggage.  If you only need to put two people in there, you can usually load up on fuel, and take more baggage.

57 minutes ago, Jorge0272 said:

Thanks!

Where are you? Maybe there is a MSer close by that might offer..

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Destination Watsonville KWVI, Sunday, Feb 26.  (Sorry, your organizer for this event will be out of town on the 19th).  I spoke with both the airport manager as well as Ella's at the Airport restaurant owner.  Both very receptive to our visit.  Preliminarily told them about twelve planes and twenty people.  Airport will cone off an area for us near the pumps so we can all be together.  Restaurant offers a 20 percent discount to pilots everyday (with a pilot license).  Sorry, she says, discount not extended to passengers.  Actually, I didn't know to ask about a discount up until now.  

The County line crew offered to talk a little about what it takes to run an airport.  They're up for a Q&A session.  I'm kinda curious about all that was required for the recent presidential visit.

Looking at the above comments, it has been suggested that some may want to make it a weekend event.  The Santa Cruz area is, after all, a vacation destination.  If anyone wants to run with this idea, feel free to extend the invitation to others.  There's a Comfort Inn and numerous restaurants bordering the airport property as well as rental cars.

So get those motors running and start building up the hours for this year.  Maybe an arrival from Phoenix?  Nice.

And one more thing.  For those interested in a bit of transportation history I'm happy to offer some left seat time around the ramp in my Amphicar.  Look it up.  It's parked in the hanger with a lake nearby.

---Ken Chambers

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Skyland said:

Destination Watsonville KWVI, Sunday, Feb 26.  (Sorry, your organizer for this event will be out of town on the 19th).  I spoke with both the airport manager as well as Ella's at the Airport restaurant owner.  Both very receptive to our visit.  Preliminarily told them about twelve planes and twenty people.  Airport will cone off an area for us near the pumps so we can all be together.  Restaurant offers a 20 percent discount to pilots everyday (with a pilot license).  Sorry, she says, discount not extended to passengers.  Actually, I didn't know to ask about a discount up until now.  

The County line crew offered to talk a little about what it takes to run an airport.  They're up for a Q&A session.  I'm kinda curious about all that was required for the recent presidential visit.

Looking at the above comments, it has been suggested that some may want to make it a weekend event.  The Santa Cruz area is, after all, a vacation destination.  If anyone wants to run with this idea, feel free to extend the invitation to others.  There's a Comfort Inn and numerous restaurants bordering the airport property as well as rental cars.

So get those motors running and start building up the hours for this year.  Maybe an arrival from Phoenix?  Nice.

And one more thing.  For those interested in a bit of transportation history I'm happy to offer some left seat time around the ramp in my Amphicar.  Look it up.  It's parked in the hanger with a lake nearby.

---Ken Chambers

I think the 26th works better for me.  Hopefully at least 2 of us, as many as 4 if the teens decide to come along in N43CA.

Reminder for the Watsonville KWVI Mooney fly-in in three weeks - Sunday, Feb. 26.  County will reserve a parking area for us near the pumps.  Lunch at Ella's in the terminal building at noon.  Seating will be together, either indoors or the glassed in patio, both facing the ramp.  Looking forward to another get-together along with some ramp talk and show and tell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jorge0272 said:

Would you guys mind if I fly up in a Cessna Cardinal? Only plane I can rent right now.  

Alan Fox was known to show up at Mooney fly-ins with a brand B plane…

There was always some ribbing that went with that…

:)

Mooney fly-ins… get there any way you can… even if a Chevy is the only method possible…

Best regards,

-a-

Always felt the Cardinal was one of Cessna's more stylish planes, especially the RG.  Cessnas attempt at efficiency by cleaning up the airframe, something Mooney did from the start.

I'd like to sit in the Cardinal again to reminisce my early flying days.