Covid and resumption of flight

Danb

5 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

It does suck and  I’m still constantly surprised by how few people actually get treatment for it, especially since it’s essentially free (to you). 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/983737

Yep, had the meds within an hour of testing positive. Can’t imagine how bad it’d be without meds. 

• Like 2

Dan,

I hope all of you and your friends are well!

I think we are on shot number five now….

and getting flu shots as well…

CNBC aired something recently about the stats accounting procedures changing… many times Covid was the only thing being counted.  Where today all of the underlying factors are being counted as well…  Yay modern technology!

Go Science! (Sue seems to know something…)

:)

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, ilovecornfields said:

It does suck and  I’m still constantly surprised by how few people actually get treatment for it, especially since it’s essentially free (to you). 

I got it.  But I’m on a vitamin/supplement regimen to support my immune system.  Once I confirmed by testing, I took 5 doses of ivermectin and azithromycin.  2 rough days then just wanted to sleep.  10 days and I was fine. I’m 72 and unvaxed.

My neighbor went to the hospital, got put on remdisivir, got vented, almost died and took 6 months to recover.  Covid broke our medical system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve0715 said:

Covid broke our medical system.

Politicizing what should have been medical decisions broke our health care system, just as politicizing combat efforts overseas broke our military system just a few years after winning the second (and hopefully LAST!) World War . . . .  Because no career politician ever met a human of equal or greater intelligence, knowledge or experience. Shakespeare's solution to lawyers should be enforced on politicians, too, along with strict, short term limits,

• Like 6

On 12/25/2022 at 3:04 PM, Sue Bon said:

Biotin and Streptavidin Complex. One streptavidin protein can bind four biotin molecules with high affinity and selectivity. This enables the amplification of weak signals and improves the detection sensitivity for medium- and low-abundance targets.

Holy smokes Sue how you knew that I haven’t the foggiest idea and i still don’t know what it means. Seems i walked into  the science wiz room. Talking about high affinity for low-abundance (is that not an oxymoron?) targets. Whooa what’s the target? Never mind i probably wouldn’t know what the target was even if you tried to explain it. I’ll see myself out the door now. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Will.iam said:

Holy smokes Sue how you knew that I haven’t the foggiest idea and i still don’t know what it means. Seems i walked into  the science wiz room. Talking about high affinity for low-abundance (is that not an oxymoron?) targets. Whooa what’s the target? Never mind i probably wouldn’t know what the target was even if you tried to explain it. I’ll see myself out the door now. 

:D

Actual footage of @ilovecornfields and me in an LA suburb:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/25/2022 at 6:43 PM, hubcap said:

I am not a doctor, nor do I know a anything about virology, but I do know a person that had Stage IV lung cancer, on hospice…her death certificate gave the cause of death as “Covid”. 

Is one required to be a doctor to have opinions on matters such as that?

Same- 12-year old's sports physical, doc reports clean bill of health.   Paperwork says, "possible covid".

Not a doc, not an anti-vaxer but my common sense says there is some F...ery afoot.  

• Like 4

On 12/25/2022 at 7:20 AM, Urs_Wildermuth said:

That you can't get Covid once vaccinated was a misconception. The goal was to prepare the body for the virus so that severe illnesses and hospitalisation could be avoided and of course reduce the quota of deaths.

First let me say that I am not an “anti-vaxxer,” I got fully vaccinated as soon as I drew a slot in the lottery being held by the governmental agency, which at the time was the State of Minnesota. I have been boosted twice since. I flew many Angel Flights during the roughly two years COVID kept the world under wraps, never once getting it from or giving it to a patient. I got it once a year ago when it seemed the world was reopening and we had some family over for Thanksgiving. All, or almost all, are in health care fields and were fully vaccinated. I was fully vaccinated, but the newest booster had just come out and I had not been able to find one yet. One person had it and everyone, vaccinated or not, got it. All survived.

I also want to express my deepest sympathies for the deaths and destruction caused in Switzerland and elsewhere. 

I just have to say that the statement that you can’t get COVID once vaccinated was a misconception is simply not true, or rather, the statement may be true but it is not what we were told. I was there. I read. I understood what I was being told. We were told the Pfizer vaccine was 96% effective in preventing the disease and the Moderna was 94%. You could not find the Pfizer vaccine in the beginning at all, because of that “information.” Here in the US we had a truly appalling misinformation campaign from our own government and official spokespersons. I think we all learned the lesson, if we needed to after so many tall tales coming out of Washington, that anything they say cannot be trusted. Some may have known that the only purpose of the vaccine was to prepare the body to fight the disease, but that is definitely not what we were told.

As for the safety of the vaccines, I opened the news this morning to read a piece that the FDA is concerned about heightened TIAs in persons who have had the Pfizer. I have a little more sympathy for those who were concerned about the safety of the vaccines, safety was ignored. I will still get vaccinated, but they are not all wearing tin foil hats.

Humanity was poorly served, that is all I can say. We were more misinformed by those who had, or should have had, the official information than by those simply spouting unfounded opinions. The unfounded opinions from the opinionated we can generally figure out for ourselves, but the misinformation campaign from the CDC and others, well, it took awhile for us to understand the depths of their dishonesty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@jlunseth, I actually agree with most of what you said. I also used to think the CDC was credible until this whole COVID thing happened. The pandemic has been  one of misinformation, both deliberate and unintentional, as much as it has been one of infectious diseases. I have a graduate degree in public health and work in the ER and I still struggled to make sense of all the “information” that was out there as it was coming out.

I’m not sure you can quantity who spread  more misinforming and what effects that misinformation had but it was coming from everywhere and definitely showed a monumental failure on the part of the public health establishment, government and even humanity. I had always assumed that in a global disaster we would have all banded together to find a way out of it (like in the movies) but the exact opposite happened and unfortunately those deep divisions continue today. There have been few events in my life that most certainly made the world forever sh*ttier and COVID was definitely one.

With respect to the vaccine effectiveness though, the numbers you quoted seemed to be pretty accurate for the original strain. As the virus mutated the vaccines became less and less effective at preventing disease but COVID now compared to COVID in 2020 is like night and day. I can’t remember the last time I hospitalized someone for COVID but two years ago people were dying left and right. I recently got my 4th (or 5th, maybe) vaccine but it makes much less of a difference now than it did two years ago.

• Like 2

[mention=7127]jlunseth[/mention], I actually agree with most of what you said. I also used to think the CDC was credible until this whole COVID thing happened. The pandemic has been  one of misinformation, both deliberate and unintentional, as much as it has been one of infectious diseases. I have a graduate degree in public health and work in the ER and I still struggled to make sense of all the “information” that was out there as it was coming out.
I’m not sure you can quantity who spread  more misinforming and what effects that misinformation had but it was coming from everywhere and definitely showed a monumental failure on the part of the public health establishment, government and even humanity. I had always assumed that in a global disaster we would have all banded together to find a way out of it (like in the movies) but the exact opposite happened and unfortunately those deep divisions continue today. There have been few events in my life that most certainly made the world forever sh*ttier and COVID was definitely one.
With respect to the vaccine effectiveness though, the numbers you quoted seemed to be pretty accurate for the original strain. As the virus mutated the vaccines became less and less effective at preventing disease but COVID now compared to COVID in 2020 is like night and day. I can’t remember the last time I hospitalized someone for COVID but two years ago people were dying left and right. I recently got my 4th (or 5th, maybe) vaccine but it makes much less of a difference now than it did two years ago.

This is why we need to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse

I always thought the TV show “The Walking Dead” was a sci-fi show. Didn’t realize it was actually a Nostradamus documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Some days on MS are tougher than others…

The beginning of Covid… the stresses were pretty high…

We snapped at people that had knowledge…

we snapped at people that were concerned…

we snapped at anything that moved…

We got to know each other a whole lot better…

Where else would I find an actual epidemiologist?

my favorite memory… a selfie posted by Rich… calmly waiting out the storm in a sports bar…

Nothing is stranger than reality…  :)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Some days on MS are tougher than others…

The beginning of Covid… the stresses were pretty high…

We snapped at people that had knowledge…

we snapped at people that were concerned…

we snapped at anything that moved…

We got to know each other a whole lot better…

Where else would I find an actual epidemiologist?

my favorite memory… a selfie posted by Rich… calmly waiting out the storm in a sports bar…

Nothing is stranger than reality…  :)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Ah, yes. Camron MO, while farrying a 310 to Phoenix. No masks, no social distancing and real condiments (and ash trays) on the bar. It was like an oasis in the desert.

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, ilovecornfields said:

Unlike you, I actually have quite a bit of knowledge on this subject. I try not to speak authoritatively on things I know nothing about. 

I did go back and read your post. Most of the statements you made regarding the medical establishment, infectious diseases and vaccines represents a profound lack of understanding on the subject that is so profound as to almost be comical. Your simultaneous lack of knowledge and insight into this coupled with your low threshold to authoritatively speak about something you know nothing about makes me not want to waste any more time engaging you.

I remember growing up hearing “It’s better to be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.” I guess that’s not true anymore.

Wow! 
It was implied in another thread that my post was harsh!

On 1/14/2023 at 8:48 AM, jlunseth said:

First let me say that I am not an “anti-vaxxer,” I got fully vaccinated as soon as I drew a slot in the lottery being held by the governmental agency, which at the time was the State of Minnesota. I have been boosted twice since. I flew many Angel Flights during the roughly two years COVID kept the world under wraps, never once getting it from or giving it to a patient. I got it once a year ago when it seemed the world was reopening and we had some family over for Thanksgiving. All, or almost all, are in health care fields and were fully vaccinated. I was fully vaccinated, but the newest booster had just come out and I had not been able to find one yet. One person had it and everyone, vaccinated or not, got it. All survived.

I also want to express my deepest sympathies for the deaths and destruction caused in Switzerland and elsewhere. 

I just have to say that the statement that you can’t get COVID once vaccinated was a misconception is simply not true, or rather, the statement may be true but it is not what we were told. I was there. I read. I understood what I was being told. We were told the Pfizer vaccine was 96% effective in preventing the disease and the Moderna was 94%. You could not find the Pfizer vaccine in the beginning at all, because of that “information.” Here in the US we had a truly appalling misinformation campaign from our own government and official spokespersons. I think we all learned the lesson, if we needed to after so many tall tales coming out of Washington, that anything they say cannot be trusted. Some may have known that the only purpose of the vaccine was to prepare the body to fight the disease, but that is definitely not what we were told.

As for the safety of the vaccines, I opened the news this morning to read a piece that the FDA is concerned about heightened TIAs in persons who have had the Pfizer. I have a little more sympathy for those who were concerned about the safety of the vaccines, safety was ignored. I will still get vaccinated, but they are not all wearing tin foil hats.

Humanity was poorly served, that is all I can say. We were more misinformed by those who had, or should have had, the official information than by those simply spouting unfounded opinions. The unfounded opinions from the opinionated we can generally figure out for ourselves, but the misinformation campaign from the CDC and others, well, it took awhile for us to understand the depths of their dishonesty.

^^^^^This is a great post. I think it broadly articulates in a measured way the reality of the public health response. The “side effects“ go much deeper than any single statement or event. The rabbit hole of questionable aspects of the public health response is deep and wide. The media and its Insatiable appetite for clicks only served to amplify an already challenging situation. Then people chose sides becoming absolutist in their views and started separating the population into people that were part of the solution or part of the problem. The vitriol was appalling. It became very obvious to me that things were going in a very bad direction when any questioning of the status quo was met with anger, redirection and ad hominem…even if not especially from highly credentialed medical professionals.

Then came the attempted reputation destruction of once respected and highly credentialed physicians and scientists. As if these seemingly competent and educated professionals suddenly lost their minds.   We now know that a lot of those attacks were initiated at the highest levels of government including the NIH/NIAID and then amplified by medical professionals down the chain.

Many of us are not on twitter, but almost all of the information that we receive is filtered through twitter’s algorithm. It is clear to anyone paying attention that there was an approved narrative and any questioning that narrative was deemed problematic and “managed” accordingly. Both government and private sector individuals sought to silence opposition and twitter and other social media companies obliged more often than not.    

I don’t know what was more destructive to the world, the pandemic or the response. I do know that my trust in the medical establishment will never be the same.   I give a lot less weight to “credentialism” as a proxy for broad competence on a topic beyond a very specific skill set. I’ll not doubt a physicians ability to intubate a patient, perform a surgery or administer an injection but I’ll weigh their opinions on public health policy or the “lab leak hypothesis” as I would a mechanic’s opinions on chip shortages or EV tax rebates…worth considering but also worth dismissing.

I feel worst for the high school aged teens, who already overly attached to screens, became completely consumed by them for every aspect of their lives. I know of several that graduated with honors that did not break 1000 on the preSAT. 

There is no incentive for a post mortem on the pandemic response by any institiution with the resources to do it. At this point, what difference does it make. It’s time for the [re]writing of the history along with the paid speaking engagements, honorary degrees and humanitarian awards. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...here I am.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

^^^^^This is a great post. I think it broadly articulates in a measured way the reality of the public health response. The “side effects“ go much deeper than any single statement or event. The rabbit hole of questionable aspects of the public health response is deep and wide. The media and its Insatiable appetite for clicks only served to amplify an already challenging situation. Then people chose sides becoming absolutists in their views and started separating the population into people that were part of the solution or part of the problem. The vitriol was appalling. It became very obvious to me that things were going in a very bad direction when any questioning of the status quo was met with anger, redirection and ad hominem…even if not especially from highly credentialed medical professionals.

Then came the attempted reputation destruction of once respected and highly credentialed physicians and scientists. As if these seemingly competent and educated professionals suddenly lost their minds.   We now know that a lot of those attacks were initiated at the highest levels of government including the NIH/NIAID and then amplified by medical professionals down the chain.

Many of us are not on twitter, but almost all of the information that we receive is filtered through twitter’s algorithm. It is clear to anyone paying attention that there was an approved narrative and any questioning that narrative was deemed problematic and “managed” accordingly. Both government and private sector individuals sought to silence opposition and twitter and other social media companies obliged more often than not.    

I don’t know what was more destructive to the world, the pandemic or the response. I do know that my trust in the medical establishment will never be the same.   I give a lot less weight to “credentialism” as a proxy for broad competence on a topic beyond a very specific skill set. I’ll not doubt a physicians ability to intubate a patient, perform a surgery or administer an injection but I’ll weigh their opinions on public health policy or the “lab leak hypothesis” as I would a mechanic’s opinions on chip shortages or EV tax rebates…worth considering but also worth dismissing.

I feel worst for the high school aged teens, who already overly attached to screens, became completely consumed by them for every aspect of their lives. I know of several that graduated with honors that did not break 1000 on the preSAT. 

There is no incentive for a post mortem on the pandemic response by any institiution with the resources to do it. At this point, what difference does it make. It’s time for the [re]writing of the history along with the paid speaking engagements, honorary degrees and humanitarian awards. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...here I am.

Wow, Shadrach! That was an outstanding piece of writing and logic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1