Gear retract problem

Gear will not retract after take off for around 15 minutes. Any ideas?

Model? If a model with the mechanical squat switch and you are flying in colder temps, could be your donuts are not expanding fully for a while to activate the switch.

If your donuts are healthy, the squat switch is adjusted correctly, you could install the retrofit kit to allow the override to happen during on those really cold days.

1b39529f13f3a565f32b76b2a12766e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, John Coughlin said:

Gear will not retract after take off for around 15 minutes. Any ideas?

As @Marauder mentioned, model is important here.  I’ve had this happen on my F that doesn’t have an override or squat switches.  Seemed to only happen when really cold.  I sprayed lps1 liberally in the limit switches in the belly and actuated them with my thumb to get them nice and lubed.  Hasn’t happened since.  Doesn’t mean that was the problem though…

9 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

As @Marauder mentioned, model is important here.  I’ve had this happen on my F that doesn’t have an override or squat switches.  Seemed to only happen when really cold.  I sprayed lps1 liberally in the limit switches in the belly and actuated them with my thumb to get them nice and lubed.  Hasn’t happened since.  Doesn’t mean that was the problem though…

Profile Information for @John Coughlin says M20K and, based on the registration number, is probably a Rocket.  I'm not sure about the squat switch, but if it's a Rocket, it could certainly have squished donuts.

4 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Profile Information for @John Coughlin says M20K and, based on the registration number, is probably a Rocket.  I'm not sure about the squat switch, but if it's a Rocket, it could certainly have squished donuts.

The key is in the model year.  There were only a few years with squat switches, something like 1975-1983 (that’s just ballpark, and it might be a big ballpark).  If it doesn’t have a squat switch, squished donuts are not the cause.

I had this issue after an annual. It was the airspeed switch that somehow got "bumped" and pushed it up. If you have an airspeed switch and not a squat switch, have that checked. As on my profile, I have a '77 M20J.

Edit: The airspeed switch should be something like 60kn +/- 5

Edit 2: Welcome to MooneySpace :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue Bon said:

I had this issue after an annual. It was the airspeed switch that somehow got "bumped" and pushed it up. If you have an airspeed switch and not a squat switch, have that checked. As on my profile, I have a '77 M20J.

Edit: The airspeed switch should be something like 60kn +/- 5

Edit 2: Welcome to MooneySpace :) 

@John Coughlin, exactly what @Sue Bon and @Marauderpointed out.  Things that could be the cause for delayed Gear retraction.  Squat switch (left main gear - do you have an electrical switch there?), airspeed switch (if no squat switch, then you have an airspeed switch), or limit switches (in the belly).

The airspeed switch allows Gear retraction above about 60kts.  It’s normally located immediately behind the airspeed indicator behind the panel. It’s fairly large and brass colored.  There are pictures around here.  Search Mooney ASS or Airspeed Switch. On second thought, don’t search ASS.  That won’t end well.

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Put the gear switch up and gear did not retract. No breakers popped and emergency extension lever was latched down. No warning horn and override button did not illuminate, but I pressed it anyway to no effect. I put the gear switch back down and landed. Jacked the airplane and confirmed no retraction and no sounds or current draw when the gear switch was placed in the up position. Removed belly, checked wiring (all secure) and tapped gear up relay with screwdriver handle. Gear now retracted. Let gear retract to halfway position and pulled gear actuator breaker. Exercised gear switch in both directions several times noting sound of both relays actuating. Put gear back down, took airplane off the jacks and ordered two relays.

Skip

I had the identical problem and it too turned out to be the relay. Where were you able to find a relay pack? The factory back in December was quoting a seven month lead time.

8 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I had the identical problem and it too turned out to be the relay. Where were you able to find a relay pack? The factory back in December was quoting a seven month lead time.

Might depend on which relay you have.

https://peerlesselectronics.com/6041h220-relay

Skip

NOTE: I realized after I posted this that the original thread is in the wrong section, so I moved my post to Modern Mooney Discussion.

8 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Might depend on which relay you have.

https://peerlesselectronics.com/6041h220-relay

Skip

NOTE: I realized after I posted this that the original thread is in the wrong section, so I moved my post to Modern Mooney Discussion.

My partners and I opted to purchase the full relay pack because none of us had the knowledge nor the skill level to replace just a single relay, and based on comments here on MS, the forty year old relay is no longer available. I was lucky enough to find one on the shelf at a local MSC.