New Bravo Panel

PilotX

It’s a nice panel! I don’t get the appeal of “clean” though. I like having a bunch of stuff to look at and configure any way I want it. With a G500, GTN 750/650 and panel mounted Aera 796 I feel like I can get way more information at once and I can modify it based on the situation. I’m not sure how empty space in the panel is helpful to a pilot  (just like runway behind you, altitude above you or air in your tanks).

33 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

It’s a nice panel! I don’t get the appeal of “clean” though. I like having a bunch of stuff to look at and configure any way I want it. With a G500, GTN 750/650 and panel mounted Aera 796 I feel like I can get way more information at once and I can modify it based on the situation. I’m not sure how empty space in the panel is helpful to a pilot  (just like runway behind you, altitude above you or air in your tanks).

There’s a lot of ways to configure the screens to your liking, and it is more compact and color coded. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

To each his own. If I could have gotten away without the G5 I would have done it. remote mount audio and transponder, had to have it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Its there you just can't see it, sun is too bright in Denver.

Ok, so where is it REALLY? :D There was discussion in another thread about whether the whiskey compass could be eliminated or not. Did you find a way, or is it just located out of frame of the picture? I'm curious because I'm finally about to start my own panel replacement.

Cheers,
Rick

2 minutes ago, Rick Junkin said:

Ok, so where is it REALLY? :D There was discussion in another thread about whether the whiskey compass could be eliminated or not. Did you find a way, or is it just located out of frame of the picture? I'm curious because I'm finally about to start my own panel replacement.

Cheers,
Rick

Maybe it's located in the back of the cockpit as it is on DC-9's?

• Haha 1

I have flown a few planes with no gyros. You use the compass quite a lot. Even with the IPad or a nav box working, it would be harder without some directional reference.

I would also keep an altimeter and airspeed. Very reliable and don’t need power of any kind. 

If you think flying without a directional reference is disorienting, try flying without an altitude or airspeed reference.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:53 AM, Rick Junkin said:

What did you do with the compass?

I heard not long ago that a Designated Pilot Examiner charged his $500 fee for a check ride (cheap by today's standards) as he and the pilot met at the FBO and went over some things on the ground. They went out to the airplane with a "new panel" - compass eliminated. As they taxied away from the FBO the examiner asked where the compass was - there was none. The check ride was over. It cost another $500+ for a compass and the check ride was re-scheduled a month later for another $500. Thankfully this wasn't an examiner that charges $1000 or $1500 for a check ride.

Our compasses in the Mooney don't take up any panel space since they're on the center post. I can only imagine the thought process behind eliminating it. (1 -What would I ever use that for? 2- Certainly the next owner won't want a compass. 3 - I realize that  virtually every other airplane has one, but I enjoy pushing the limits. 4- It's not that accurate anyway. 5 - I have a built-in sense of direction, like a homing pigeon. 6 - I did it  for the useful load. 7- I paid for the AOPA Legal defense - might as well use it. 8 - Who doesn't enjoy a little skirmish with the FAA? 9 - "I Did It My Way")

If the panel ever goes completely dark, and they do, I wouldn't mind having a rough idea of what heading I'm on. I also wouldn't want to use this an opportunity to find out that the backup battery in a G5 had failed, which they do. 

12 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I can only imagine the thought process behind eliminating it.

Good and entertaining points Lance. I'm a fan of the vertical card compass but I'd have to modify the glare shield enclosure to accommodate one. There are other options for placement but none that I really like. The original whiskey compass in my airplane has seen better days and was recently dislodged during IFR certs when they removed the glare shield trying to find instrument serial numbers, so it got me thinking about options. It's back where it belongs but even more worse for wear.

In spite of all of its high tech systems and capabilities my former work airplane retained a whiskey compass placed out of the way but in clear view. The battery on the electronic standby indicator was a grounding preflight item.

Cheers,
Rick

4 minutes ago, Rick Junkin said:

In spite of all of its high tech systems and capabilities my former work airplane retained a whiskey compass placed out of the way but in clear view. The battery on the electronic standby indicator was a grounding preflight item.

I'm not a EE but I would be interested to know how the built-in self tests work on these battery-powered devices.  I'll bet 80% of ships batteries couldn't pass a capacity test because you have to take the battery out, and you have to have specialized equipment.  Most pilots that I know figure if it will start the engine, it must be good.  It's tempting to think that this community is more conscientious, but I know a lot of people (gasp!) who don't fly a Mooney.