Mooney crash ADS

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

Possible but hard to tell with the pictures. https://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N231GZ

I was using this one. Also top blade doesn't look bend, and the 2 bottom ones are bent opposite directions. Seems like the prop was not spinning.

Fj025QPWAAAZySh.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I was using this one. Also top blade doesn't look bend, and the 2 bottom ones are bent opposite directions. Seems like the prop was not spinning.

Fj025QPWAAAZySh.jpeg.jpg

That seems right - it looks like a prop that was feathered and not spinning at time of impact for the reasons you said.  So most likely a rocket.

Have we ever seen this before - the skins around the fuselage are stripped away - was that the crash or did the firemen do that saving the passengers?

The general shape of the passenger compartment looks in tact - I hope. hopefully they will come through ok.

6 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

That seems right - it looks like a prop that was feathered and not spinning at time of impact for the reasons you said.  So most likely a rocket.

Have we ever seen this before - the skins around the fuselage are stripped away - was that the crash or did the firemen do that saving the passengers?

The general shape of the passenger compartment looks in tact - I hope. hopefully they will come through ok.

It looks to me like the cabin burned.   There's still a fire on the wing.   Since the cabin is intact I'm guessing and hoping they got out before it burned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/small-plane-crashes-on-a-street-in-carrollton/
looks like the fire is responsible for the skins.  Is the oil access door in the right place for a rocket?

Pretty fast airplane -- usually 180-200 knots groundspeed.  Also pretty busy:

09/15  1 day   Addison  Tyler  Addison
09/26  9 days  Addison  Elmdale  Dalhart  Stevens Field  Dalhart  Addison
10/19  3 days  Addison  Tyler  Sugar Land  San Antonio  Austin  Addison
11/14  1 day   Addison  Abilene  Addison
11/23  5 days  Addison  Corpus  Wharton  Addison
12/01  1 day   Addison  Tyler  Addison
12/08  2 days  Addison  Sugar Land  San Antonio  Austin  Addison
12/12  1 day   Addison  Abilene  Addison

The fire in the video is interesting, seems to come from inside of the fuselage and not from engine area or wing fuel area and seems small.

Of course fuel could have come into the fuselage from the tanks, but that’s a little unusual?

I’ve been burnt, actually hot hydraulic fluid so not fire burnt, but it sucks, I hope they weren’t burnt. Nothing else is that painful and slow healing.

It’s possible for stops on a prop to be broken so a blade is feathered on a prop that doesn’t feather, but I bet lunch that props feathered, not from damage

50 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Pretty fast airplane -- usually 180-200 knots groundspeed.  Also pretty busy:

09/15  1 day   Addison  Tyler  Addison
09/26  9 days  Addison  Elmdale  Dalhart  Stevens Field  Dalhart  Addison
10/19  3 days  Addison  Tyler  Sugar Land  San Antonio  Austin  Addison
11/14  1 day   Addison  Abilene  Addison
11/23  5 days  Addison  Corpus  Wharton  Addison
12/01  1 day   Addison  Tyler  Addison
12/08  2 days  Addison  Sugar Land  San Antonio  Austin  Addison
12/12  1 day   Addison  Abilene  Addison

Flying that often may have been the difference between a bad day and a really bad day.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Wow - that is a stunning display of the best of humanity - to run up to and climb on to a visibly burning airplane - that who knows could explode into a massive fire any second so scary risk of life and limb -  to save some stranger people.  

• Like 7

Hello all,

I am the passenger of N231GZ - M20 Rocket Engineering conversion to turbo prop inner-cooled.  I'm not a pilot so I only know a little bit.  Pilot/ Physician is instrument rated for 22 years.  Trained in a Mooney because it was built in Texas and could be converted by Rocket.  We travel throughout Texas doing exams for the state for work injuries.  Hangered in Addison field for 22 years.  IFR coming home from our monthly trip to Abilene, 5 mile final 2000 ft.  locked onto the ILS, engine failure.  Pilot tried multiple things to restart with no success, then just "flew the airplane".  Couldn't see the ground until about 400ft. and saw the street/ trees, not a very hard landing until we were lunged forward. Prop was feathered before we crashed.  We now know we hit the light pole, but I think the left wing was still attached and barely on fire when we were pulled from the plane.  Neither of us lost conscience, the handle fell off inside and I was unable to open the door.  Someone came up to the window and we told him to pull outer latch and they got us out. I am now home with broken radius, repaired with surgery, broken facial bones will not require surgery.  Pilot fractured L2 that severed nerve, had surgery and nerve will heel in 18 months but may have a drop foot, and stitches in forehead. He should be home in a few days.  If he weren't such an amazing pilot with a ton of experience and God watching over us, we wouldn't have made it for sure! 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, WSMD said:

Hello all,

I am the passenger of N231GZ - M20 Rocket Engineering conversion to turbo prop inner-cooled.  I'm not a pilot so I only know a little bit.  Pilot/ Physician is instrument rated for 22 years.  Trained in a Mooney because it was built in Texas and could be converted by Rocket.  We travel throughout Texas doing exams for the state for work injuries.  Hangered in Addison field for 22 years.  IFR coming home from our monthly trip to Abilene, 5 mile final 2000 ft.  locked onto the ILS, engine failure.  Pilot tried multiple things to restart with no success, then just "flew the airplane".  Couldn't see the ground until about 400ft. and saw the street/ trees, not a very hard landing until we were lunged forward. Prop was feathered before we crashed.  We now know we hit the light pole, but I think the left wing was still attached and barely on fire when we were pulled from the plane.  Neither of us lost conscience, the handle fell off inside and I was unable to open the door.  Someone came up to the window and we told him to pull outer latch and they got us out. I am now home with broken radius, repaired with surgery, broken facial bones will not require surgery.  Pilot fractured L2 that severed nerve, had surgery and nerve will heel in 18 months but may have a drop foot, and stitches in forehead. He should be home in a few days.  If he weren't such an amazing pilot with a ton of experience and God watching over us, we wouldn't have made it for sure! 

Thank goodness for both of you.  And kudos to the pilot for superbly handling a horrible situation. And of course to the good citizens who pulled you out.  WOW.

• Like 1