Dear Santa, For Christmas I would like…

RoundTwo

9 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

An new 1/4" ratchet.

Any recommendations for Santa?

I recently got this Husky ratchet with lots of teeth for a tight swing. I'm no expert, but it works well, and I like that it has a lifetime warranty from Home Depot as their house brand. You just bring it to any store for replacement if needed.

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Remember that Vividia overloads their part numbers so that their bore scopes might be hi-res or 640x480 with the same part number.    There's no discernible price difference, so if you buy one, make sure it is high resolution or may wind up with a 640x480.   The difference is significant.

For a 1/4" wrench, these are actually pretty cool.   I bought several to keep them in the garage, hangar, various mobile toolboxes, etc.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PJPEAS

Great pirep!

20 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Wow. ..... wow......

18 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I have the Craftsman version of that set.  From back when Craftsman was good stuff.

We had a couple of Sears Surplus stores around.  They sold returns and the last few of an item, that wasn't worth putting in the catalog.  So, with the tool sets, they would make a change to what was in the kit, so it had a new part number, and they would sell the old part number at a discount.

One evening, we were shopping, and after I checked the tool area, I was wandering around.  Up front, behind the counter was a stack (some 6+ feet high) of boxes.  Taped to the stack was a copy of a catalog page of tools.  I couldn't read it, so I asked the guy which tool set that was.  He said, THE tool set.  ???  He said, THE BIG ONE, the centerfold of the tool catalog.   The one that at the time was well over $4000.  I asked how many sets.  He smiled and said, that is ONE set.  How much???   $900.  WTF?!  So what happens is something is missing.  He said come back with a list and he would order and replace anything missing.   The kit FILLED my car. :D

It was missing 3 things.  I took the list, he ordered 2.  The third was no longer available (maybe the reason for the kit contents change), so he refunded me for that tool.  At full retail. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still have my Craftsman tools from when I was a teenager, unfortunately the box died years ago, final straw was when the Wife started her car in gear and hit it. I replaced the box with new ones maybe 20 years ago from boxes that had been returned to Sears.

Good tools and guns can last forever, they can be true Heirloom things, like a Woman’s Crystal, China and Silver.

Sadly current generation has no desire for any of that, I live near the Villages in Fl, GOOD China can be bought in complete sets at resale shops for less than cheap stuff in Walmart. Even bought a set of silver plate for less than SS. Good crystal goes for $1 a stem.

You did notice that Proto set was $50K, not $5K right?

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I still have my Craftsman tools from when I was a teenager, unfortunately the box died years ago, final straw was when the Wife started her car in gear and hit it. I replaced the box with new ones maybe 20 years ago from boxes that had been returned to Sears.

Good tools and guns can last forever, they can be true Heirloom things, like a Woman’s Crystal, China and Silver.

Sadly current generation has no desire for any of that, I live near the Villages in Fl, GOOD China can be bought in complete sets at resale shops for less than cheap stuff in Walmart. Even bought a set of silver plate for less than SS. Good crystal goes for $1 a stem.

Yes, I did see that.   I am not sure what the price was back when I got my set.  I am trying to remember when I got it.  Maybe late 80s, early 90s.

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

It is my Craftsman 1/4 ratchet that is failing. I have been abusing it for 30 years. I know I can't get it repaired or replaced with a similar wrench. Craftsman isn't what it used to be.

When my father in law died, I inherited a substantial amount of Proto and Cromwell tools. He ran a towing business so he didn't use a lot of 1/4 inch stuff, I have more 3/4 drive stuff than I will ever use.

But you get the fancy toolbox too for your $50K!

19 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I would like my airplane back.  It's been in the shop since late September.

This could lead to a whole new thread.  “Who’s airplane has been down the longest”