Where do you put your headset (when not in use)?

Geoff

Where do you store your headset (when not in use)?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you store your headset (when not in use)?

• Glareshield
    • Floor
    • Take it home
    • Yoke
    • Custom solution (please tell us more)

I flew recently in brand C and between the pilot and copilot chair on the inboard side of the seat upright was a loop with a snap where the owner hung his headset for storage between flights.

I thought his was fantastic but the challenge in the Mooney is:

1. The space between the seats is too narrow to hang one let alone two headsets and

2. The headset plugs are located outboard on the side of the panel and the cords aren't that long

SO, the question is where do YOU store your headset between flights so its not in the way of ingress/egress and is not damaged?

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

we used QT Halos and hooked them on the sun visors, up and out of the way. 

29 minutes ago, 201er said:

QT Halo is super light to hang on yoke. Spares you having to modify the plane to store a headset :D

I set my Halos on the panel. My wife puts hers on the floor, and I'm careful to avoid the cord getting in and out. (They won't stay on the panel when I fly without her.)

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

In Arizona, the floor is a must if you leave the plane on the ramp when you are out of town. If you put it on the glare shield or the seat, you may get first degree burns on your head when you put them on.

In Arizona, you must get first degree burns over your entire body just getting in the plane! :D

• Haha 2

Since I fly multiple aircraft used by multiple people, I take it with me. Fits nicely in my flight bag.

If I take a trip and have the plane parked, whether for lunch or several overnights, I leave it on the floor of the airplane. You don't need to be in Arizona for out of the sun  to be a good place.

Edited by midlifeflyer

I take mine home in the case it came in.  My Lightspeed PFX's were pretty pricey and they have lasted a long time by taking good care of them.  When I first bought my airplane I had a set of Dave Clarks and upgraded to my first Lightspeed Zulu's.  I used to leave them in the airplane and in a short time, in the Texas heat, even in a hangar the rubber products on the headsets went south and the battery pack became all gummy and sticky.  Ever since I always take my headsets home with me.

Three places for different locations.

On the glare shield when at home because it’s going in the hangar

Hanging from the throttle and mixture knobs when at a secure location, out of the sun but off the floor

On the floor if I think they might could be stolen, I’m trying to hide them

I have mobility issues due to knees and keeping them off of the floor makes entry and exit easier, when I was younger they went on the floor

I leave mine on the seat and my wife's goes in the back seat to get the cables out of the way.  If we go away for any extended period of time, We'll put them in the  cases. 

For those putting them on the glare shield....  Remember there are magnets in the headphone/speaker part of your headsets.  They're not extremely strong, but they are magnets.  As such, they potentially could affect your compass if left nearby for extended periods of time.

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

For those putting them on the glare shield....  Remember there are magnets in the headphone/speaker part of your headsets.  They're not extremely strong, but they are magnets.  As such, they potentially could affect your compass if left nearby for extended periods of time.

Score another point for Halos! The "speaker" is about wooden pencil diameter and well under an inch long. Only silicone goes into my ears.

Another point--they are compatible with wide brimmed hats, which provide much more cooling shade on those blistering hot days than a ball cap. :lol:

• Like 1