AI's opinion on Mooney vs Bonanza

hais

Bored today, so I started playing with ChatGPT, and asked it's opinion about Mooney vs Bonanza. I first asked the bot whether Mooney was better, it responded that we can't make general statements, that it's all about the mission. An impressive answer from AI perspective, but certainly a disappointing one for a mooniac. I pressed on to get a bragging answer, here's the MS-compliant response :)

If you are bored too, go to HTTPS://chat.openai.com

Can a Mooney outrun a bonanza?

As I mentioned in my previous response, the Mooney and Bonanza are both capable and well-regarded aircraft, but they are designed for different purposes and have different performance characteristics. The Mooney is a high-performance airplane that is known for its speed and efficiency, while the Bonanza is a versatile and reliable airplane that is known for its range and comfort.

In general, the Mooney is likely to be faster than the Bonanza, as it has a more powerful engine and a more aerodynamic design. This means that it is capable of achieving higher speeds and better performance in most flight regimes. However, it is important to note that the specific performance of any airplane can vary depending on a number of factors, including its weight, configuration, and atmospheric conditions.

As a result, it is not possible to say with certainty whether a Mooney can outrun a Bonanza in all cases. In some situations, the Mooney may be able to achieve higher speeds and outperform the Bonanza, while in other cases the Bonanza may be able to match or exceed the Mooney's performance. The best way to determine the relative performance of these two aircraft is to compare their specifications and performance data, and consider the specific conditions and requirements of the flight.

2 / 2

Try again
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Some friends have been having fun with ChatGPT, and one is having his class correct an essay that he asked ChatGPT to write about their study topic in Computer Science (about Management Information Systems).    The recognition (and danger) is that AI has gotten to the point where it can say things that sound right, but aren't.   (So it sounds like a lot of internet advice.  ;)   )

A fave response so far:

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎22:39 ا. 4G ああ chat.openai.com F What mammal the largest eggs? The mammal that lays the largest eggs the elephant. Elephant eggs are the largest of all land animals, with some reaching up 9 inches in length and weighing up to 5 pounds. However, elephants are not the only mammals that lay eggs. Some species of monotremes, such as the platypus and echidna, also lay eggs. These eggs are much smaller than elephant but they are still larger than the eggs of most other mammals. Try again Research feedback‎'‎

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Ha!  AI is all the rage.  I used to be Fuzzy Logic.  Before that it was  Fractals.  It'll blow over (or blow us all up).

HEY YOU KIDS!!!   GET OFF MY LAWN!

I remember fuzzy logic, and wavelets, and a lot of the other stuff that never lived up to the hype.    I suspect that there will be some AI that finds a niche, but there will likely be some good entertainment along the way.  ;)

The Bo has a longer range?

Dutch rolling so bad in turbulence it makes you sick to your stomach is “comfortable”? 

C-210 is WAY more comfortable than either if comfort means stable and lots of shoulder and leg room, Bo is cramped.

Sure a Bo is faster than a J, but a J isn’t by any means one of the faster Mooney’s.

For 15 years I was VP of an aircraft manufacturing company. I’m convinced that the Mooney isn’t in production for the same reason the Meyers / Aero Commander 200 isn’t.

Its not quality, speed, comfort, airworthiness or any other reason other than due to their construction technique they are simply just too expensive to manufacture.

I’m willing to bet that a Cirrus can be built with a 1/4 of the man hours of a Mooney and requires much less skilled labor, meaning you can take average kid working at Mc Donald’s and within a reasonable time have them building a Cirrus where you can’t teach them to build a Mooney.

Finally Beech likely still builds the Bo for the same reason Embrarer still build the Ipanema, because it’s the Companies history, neither probably makes any money off of them, they make the money from Commercial aircraft and Bizjets

Aero Commander 200 under construction at the Albany Ga plant, notice the steel tube structure extends even in the wings to outside of the main gear as well of course as the passenger compt. The Meyers / Aero Commander’s are over 60 years old, and haven’t had a single AD on structure. The 4130 steel tubing is almost certainly why, but it takes many hours and requires highly skilled people to build it.

70FD8145-EBAB-4BFE-A4A0-6E8C28A2B43A.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Marc_B said:

Is it just me or did others see this thread title and think it was going to be about Al Mooney's comments of comparison of the Mooney M20 to the Bonanza? ha ha ha

That's exactly what I thought - I read the I in AI as an L as in AL as in AL Mooney!  Then I was reading and thinking gee whiz why is AL being so polite and also non committal?  Having read his biography I though gee I thought he had stronger opinions on things.

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

I remember fuzzy logic, and wavelets, and a lot of the other stuff that never lived up to the hype.    I suspect that there will be some AI that finds a niche, but there will likely be some good entertainment along the way.  ;)

Well - as someone who knows a thing or two on all three (four including fractals along with chaos, wavelets, AI) of those topics - in fact the word chaos as in chaos theory does appear as one of the words in my PhD thesis - I can say all of those things live on.  They didn't save the universe or humanity as was the hype, but they are all fundamental concepts in some way.  They didn't disappear or become discredited or something.   But they did all enjoy a hype era of good branding that caused a lot of interest.  People still use them.  AI is interesting because its like bell bottom jeans, it keeps going out of style and coming back - for like the last 70 years I think.

Good branding - isn't it more fun to say "deep learning" than "function representation by neural networks with two or more layers".  And of course the word neural network is also a hype word of good branding behind something that nonetheless is very useful and legit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m willing to bet that a Cirrus can be built with a 1/4 of the man hours of a Mooney and requires much less skilled labor, meaning you can take average kid working at Mc Donald’s and within a reasonable time have them building a Cirrus where you can’t teach them to build a Mooney.

I can't say I agree.  My experience with sheet aluminum work and pounding rivets in an RV build was shock at how easy and straightforward it is to learn and perform at an ideal level with only minimal learning and practice.  There's a reason they made P-51's that way, it was easy to teach people who'd never done that type of work before, e.g. Rosie the Riveter.

I haven't done much composite work, but from what I hear it takes a level of knowledge, anticipation, and skill to that is hard to learn out of a book and without a lot of practice

I never asked how many hours are required to build a Cirrus when I was there. I’m guessing that assembly of the basic airframe would be less from what I’ve seen.  Installation of systems, avionics, interior and engine would be the same for most any airframe manufacturer.  Landing gear of course would be faster and less complex in a Cirrus than a Mooney.

A few pictures of how airframes arrive from the composite plant.

1D858656-5A38-4F0D-864D-89FD06F57E27.jpeg

99644790-8880-487A-83C6-EF46D3577A90.jpeg

48CEA3B7-0ED2-4DE6-9676-C08130164ED3.jpeg

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I can't say I agree.  My experience with sheet aluminum work and pounding rivets in an RV build was shock at how easy and straightforward it is to learn and perform at an ideal level with only minimal learning and practice.  There's a reason they made P-51's that way, it was easy to teach people who'd never done that type of work before, e.g. Rosie the Riveter.

I haven't done much composite work, but from what I hear it takes a level of knowledge, anticipation, and skill to that is hard to learn out of a book and without a lot of practice

Your RV kit was a quick build I assume with rivet holes pre-drilled.

If you build a 4130 tube fuselage there is enough variation that you can’t havre the laser peck rivet holes, in fact you have to cut the skins a little large and each one is custom fit.

I posted the other day an article how Cirrus  builds fuselages, you lay prepeg in a mold, only a few people build all of the fuselages. This is the article

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/fuselage-skins-redesign-streamlines-production

This cut from the article.

“Fabrication efficiency was greatly improved: While 24 technicians on three shifts could produce 10 first-generation skin halves per week, six technicians working two shifts can produce 16 G2 skin halves per week, with fewer subassembly steps. At full production, the company now can produce about four planes per day.”

So 6 people working two shifts can build eight aircraft fuselages a week. I doubt ten times that number could build 8 Mooney fuselages a week. 

But start looking at other things. the shopping cart nose wheel is simply a strut bolted on, no complex steering mechanism, the main gear is simply a leaf spring bolted to the fuselage, no complex retract mechanism, the other day it was stated that a Cirrus doesn’t even have a mechanical elevator trim, more complexity eliminated.

This photo is from the 60’s when Aero Commander was building the Meyers and this is just final assembly, wings, fuselages, even instrument panels, landing gear etc are all built elsewhere in sub assembly. There were hundreds building it. In WWII tens of thousands were employed building aircraft, it was an extremely labor intensive thing.

DED503C9-9337-4DAC-A272-5BAEB6BF8110.jpeg

• Like 1

But having built airplanes I can tell you it’s real simple, although a great many would argue and have done time in motion studies etc to come up with the answer.

Divide the number of aircraft produced in one year by the number of direct laborers you have and there is the answer of how many people or how many hours etc it takes to build an aircraft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

Your RV kit was a quick build I assume with rivet holes pre-drilled.

If you build a 4130 tube fuselage there is enough variation that you can’t havre the laser peck rivet holes, in fact you have to cut the skins a little large and each one is custom fit.

I posted the other day an article how Cirrus  builds fuselages, you lay prepeg in a mold, only a few people build all of the fuselages. This is the article

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/fuselage-skins-redesign-streamlines-production

This cut from the article.

“Fabrication efficiency was greatly improved: While 24 technicians on three shifts could produce 10 first-generation skin halves per week, six technicians working two shifts can produce 16 G2 skin halves per week, with fewer subassembly steps. At full production, the company now can produce about four planes per day.”

So 6 people working two shifts can build eight aircraft fuselages a week. I doubt ten times that number could build 8 Mooney fuselages a week. 

But start looking at other things. the shopping cart nose wheel is simply a strut bolted on, no complex steering mechanism, the main gear is simply a leaf spring bolted to the fuselage, no complex retract mechanism, the other day it was stated that a Cirrus doesn’t even have a mechanical elevator trim, more complexity eliminated.

This photo is from the 60’s when Aero Commander was building the Meyers and this is just final assembly, wings, fuselages, even instrument panels, landing gear etc are all built elsewhere in sub assembly. There were hundreds building it. In WWII tens of thousands were employed building aircraft, it was an extremely labor intensive thing.

OK, that's a good point, I guess aluminum fabrication and riveting is more time intensive, even if it's easier to teach/learn

“Fabrication efficiency was greatly improved: While 24 technicians on three shifts could produce 10 first-generation skin halves per week, six technicians working two shifts can produce 16 G2 skin halves per week, with fewer subassembly steps.

I thought I was reading a middle-school math problem:   Assuming a fuselage is composed of two skin halves, how many people would it take to make 6 fuselages in one 8 hour shift?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

But having built airplanes I can tell you it’s real simple, although a great many would argue and have done time in motion studies etc to come up with the answer.

Divide the number of aircraft produced in one year by the number of direct laborers you have and there is the answer of how many people or how many hours etc it takes to build an aircraft. 

That seems very simple indeed.  And it is a very worthwhile marker.  But which workers to count.  Just the team on the factory floor?  or does that include the buyers and supervisors and other people who don't actually have their hands on the wrenches?  The janitor.  The person in HR?  The accountant? All necessary man hours in the process of building an airplane.

One hitch also is counting what counts as direct labor and in your careful use of that word, there is some ambiguity that some may miss.  I.e., usually when counting how many hours it takes to build an airplane, one doesn't count the hours it takes to build an engine because air craft manufactures purchase in complete an engine ready to bolt on. But clearly it takes hours for the engine factory to build an engine.  Nor the avionics which also take man hours to build avionics whether old school steam gauges or new fangled electronics someone is on the assembly line (avionics bench) building that stuff.

Maybe money would be a way to capture that - since an engine purchased for $100k might not be counted into the hours cost of an airplane but the money is in part paying for the hours to build the engine at the engine factory.  100/hr for the engine?  1000hrs to build an engine?

But it gets more mirky since where does that 100/hr go to?  Employee salaries - but surely most of the factory workers at Continental and Lycoming (and Pratt and GE etc) don't make 100/hr - so infrastructure (building, lights heat, tools, and support personal), and also materials - raw metal, tools, etc.  Well raw metal comes from - metallurgical factories and they have workers etc and their people make money but the hourly cost there bubbles down. 

Economics makes my head swim if I think about it too much.  Money is this fluid stuff of raw human work motivator that flows around the economy and gets people to make stuff that other people want and willing to work to get.

13 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

OK, that's a good point, I guess aluminum fabrication and riveting is more time intensive, even if it's easier to teach/learn

It’s not at all easier not by any means.

You built a kit that was very well Engineered, better than almost any factory aircraft.

Not to be argumentative but you didn’t build, you assembled. That is not a hit on the aircraft or you, it’s just the opposite, but I bet you didn’t use a shrinker or stretcher much less an English Wheel. The wonderful and safe thing about RV kits is most of the skilled work is done for you.

The way Cirrus builds aircraft is the Modern composite way, they don’t lay each layer in and squeezing out each layer of glass of excess resin, the don’t even vacuum bag, they use prepeg, what that is is pre-impregnated glass with each layer already built up, you literally take each sheet out of the fridge, lay it in the mold and often the male half presses the two together, prepeg I’ve used had to have heat to cure it, either by steam heating or putting the whole thing in an autoclave, now I think you don’t even need heat. Of course I’m sure many pieces are installed in the skin half before it’s cured, but that is simple and I’m sure uses a jig. After curing I’m sure it had to be trimmed, but that’s literally cut off whatever is sticking out, then the two halves are joined I bet with glass tape.

There is a lot to do in composites design but from the layup perspective other than being nasty it’s not too hard, especially with prepeg.

The REAL downside to composites is repair of a structural item, that can be much harder and more time consuming that sheet metal.

Honestly take an average intelligence guy and in a day or two turn them loose, in a couple of weeks they can teach it.