California fly-out breakfast/lunch during the holidays

FlyingCanuck

Fellow West Coasters - I'm new to the region (moved to SBP 6 months ago). Would love to see other fellow Mooneys and share some aviator stories. I imagine the holidays are both busy (family, friends, catching up on washing inside the gear wells)... but also a more reliable quiet time.

Would anyone be interested in flying out to an airport with a reliable breakfast/lunch spot - some date between Dec 20-Dec 30?

I'm thinking  that it should be within 45 minutes (Mooney time) of either LA or SF. Obvious options include places like SZP, CMA, SMX, SBP (but that's my home field so I prefer not to walk to breakfast ;) ), etc.

What say you all?

I might be able to do this, depending on the airport and weather.  Still have some hours to get before I can bring passengers and I haven't been too far south yet.  Camarillo might definitely be doable.

Won't be able to do Big Bear yet, haven't done any mountain flying.

• Thanks 1

I'd be interested in meeting up with fellow West Coast Mooney drivers.  I'm in Watsonville which has a nice assortment of restaurants, one in the terminal and several more right across the street, so stop in sometime.  But I'd prefer to fly somewhere to meet up.  Name the place and I'll try to attend.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - this is shaping up nicely! I’m getting the sense that somewhere mid-way LA<>SF will accommodate everyone based on distance, comfort, etc. 

How about KSZP? (Harris Ranch is option 2, and Columbia O22 is option 3)

I’ll post a Doodle poll here soon to get your inputs on dates over the holidays. 

18 hours ago, FlyingCanuck said:

Thanks for the replies - this is shaping up nicely! I’m getting the sense that somewhere mid-way LA<>SF will accommodate everyone based on distance, comfort, etc. 

How about KSZP? (Harris Ranch is option 2, and Columbia O22 is option 3)

I’ll post a Doodle poll here soon to get your inputs on dates over the holidays. 

KSZP isn't terrible but could be challenging for new, inexperienced Mooney pilots.  Nonstandard traffic patterns with different procedures depending on which runway you're using and where you're coming from, ground obstacles in close proximity to the runway ends, aerobatic box nearby, a mountain to the south, lots of NORDO traffic, 2665' runway with displaced thresholds on both ends, limited space to maneuver and park on the ground.  I also find the restaurant is often very busy with nowhere to sit.  KCMA is only minutes away with a much more accommodating runway that should be more welcoming to all types.  You might have to wait in line for food but at least there is a ton of space to sit, they'll serve you water while you wait, and the accommodations are a lot nicer IMO.  Just my two cents...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ZuluZulu said:

KSZP isn't terrible but could be challenging for new, inexperienced Mooney pilots.  Nonstandard traffic patterns with different procedures depending on which runway you're using and where you're coming from, ground obstacles in close proximity to the runway ends, aerobatic box nearby, a mountain to the south, lots of NORDO traffic, 2665' runway with displaced thresholds on both ends, limited space to maneuver and park on the ground.  I also find the restaurant is often very busy with nowhere to sit.  KCMA is only minutes away with a much more accommodating runway that should be more welcoming to all types.  You might have to wait in line for food but at least there is a ton of space to sit, they'll serve you water while you wait, and the accommodations are a lot nicer IMO.  Just my two cents...

Thanks for the feedback! In order to make it accessible to everyone, I think you've convinced me on shifting to KCMA for this first one. We can always get more creative on subsequent get-togethers :) Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Folks - how would Dec 22, 26, or 27 work for most people?

Thinking we meet up for breakfast at KCMA around 12 pm - that should allow everyone a comfortable margin of time for marine layer/fog/etc. to burn off our respective airports, allowing everyone to join us regardless of VFR/IFR.

How do those dates - 22, 26, 27 Dec - sound?