Can you play music through your airplanes intercom?

rwabdu

I use a Bluetooth adapter something like this, although a much older iteration. Makes it just like playing music in your car from your phone.

https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Hands-Free/dp/B08KY684PB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=12C1U0TXZTB9G&keywords=bluetooth+car+adapter&qid=1670126157&sprefix=Bluetooth%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-4

Cheers,
Rick

I had an aux audio input to my intercom installed years ago.  Used to use an IPod to play music in flight.  Worked great.  Mutes when receiving.  Haven’t tried it use it since the IPod crapped out.  Gotta try to use the input again now that you bring it up. 

30 minutes ago, rwabdu said:

I want my passengers to listen to my music when we fly... anyone have a magic cord / know how to plug an iphone into the input side of the intercom to play some music?

What audio panel do you have?

Or for a cheap solution this would work if you have a phone or mp3 player that has a headphone jack (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/gamusic11-13678.php?clickkey=21112)

5 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

What audio panel do you have?

Or for a cheap solution this would work if you have a phone or mp3 player that has a headphone jack (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/gamusic11-13678.php?clickkey=21112)

Nice! that would work, didnt realize a cord like that existed - thank you! I have a Bendix / king 24h intercom. 

Of course, the most elegant solution is a newer design audio panel.   The audio panel would allow pax to listen to music, but you can not have it on for you.  Or auto muting when there is a radio transmission.  Or everyone can listen to music and only you hear the radio with auto muting of the music.  

Not the cheap (Mooney) way :D, but more flexible.

I think some models of PS Engineering are pretty much a swap with a King 24.

And you can pick up some nicer audio panels used as people upgrade. 

+1 that some newer audio panels make this trivial.    My PSE PMA450B2 has both dedicated wired jacks (multiple) for music input as well as BT connectivity that can be used for the same.  My phone automatically connects to the audio panel via BT, and I just bring up the music player on the phone and start it and it's magically on the intercom.   The PMA automatically mutes the music if there's radio traffic.  It couldn't be much easier, but it does require having a capable audio panel.   Many audio panels have dedicated media inputs that allow this.

In my airplane the PMA450 has independent media/music input jacks at the front passenger seat and one of the back seats, and they can be split to feed independent headsets.   With two BT inputs it can also take two input feeds that way.   Although I've never tried this it can theoretically support a separate music stream to each headset (I think), or split them up however you want.   I'm not a power user with these features, but whenever I've looked at it I've thought that that's way more capability than I'll ever need, but with some families I'm sure it's useful.   Using it to auto-connect my phone and then just play it is super trivial, though, and has always worked perfectly.

This is what I use and plug it inline through the copilot jack that is utilized for my 4 person intercom. I then run the supplied USB cable to the cigarette plug so it is always charged. Works great and inexpensive. Great Santa idea. I get now sound though my Ipad for ADSB traffic off Fore Flight/Stratus 2 combo, and music/text notifications off my phone.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ps/head_bluetooth/crazedpilot11-14137.php

Fly Smart,

Ryan

• Like 1