Gi275’s vs Aspen Pro Max User Experience

802flyer

If you’re pricing 2xgi275s, might want to also consider the smaller g3x as it displays similar information as the aspen  on one screen like the aspen and doesn’t cost a lot more than 2x GI275s.

I have this (unverified) suspicion it also needs a G5/275 standby though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 802flyer said:

You can use either but the g5 is designed to work with the g3x and is full function where the 275 is limited in coordination with the g3x.

1 hour ago, 802flyer said:

I think it will be the most expensive option, but a g3x 7” and g5 isn’t way more than your other options.  Really (and unfortunately), you need to consider your future autopilot options/desires and build your system around that.  You can kludge together an aspen, g5 and gfc500 but don’t spend that much money and end up with a kludge.  

10 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

If you’re pricing 2xgi275s, might want to also consider the smaller g3x as it displays similar information as the aspen  on one screen like the aspen and doesn’t cost a lot more than 2x GI275s.

except the 7" G3X won't fit in the same holes

Those of you that fly Aspens, do you keep the basemap database updated?

I'd just be adding a single unit as a PFD since I already have a 696 as MFD, so no fancy mapping features needed. However I do want the flightplan waypoints/legs/holds to show up on the HSI. I don't care as much about other random airports showing up if they're not on the flightplan. It seems that Jeppesen would charge $477 annually for nav data for the aspen, and it doesn't seem to bundle with the navigators (at least per this tool). That seems like an awful lot to keep a PFD basemap up to date in addition to the navigator and MFD.

So first, I'm wondering if they flightplan waypoints/legs are fed to the Aspen from the navigator, in which case I don't need to keep the Aspen basemap up to date. Will the units fail to play nice if the Aspen basemap out-dates?

I'd just be adding a single unit as a PFD since I already have a 696 as MFD, so no fancy mapping features needed. However I do want the flightplan waypoints/legs/holds to show up on the HSI. I don't care as much about other random airports showing up if they're not on the flightplan. It seems that Jeppesen would charge $477 annually for nav data for the aspen, and it doesn't seem to bundle with the navigators (at least per this tool). That seems like an awful lot to keep a PFD basemap up to date in addition to the navigator and MFD.
So first, I'm wondering if they flightplan waypoints/legs are fed to the Aspen from the navigator, in which case I don't need to keep the Aspen basemap up to date. Will the units fail to play nice if the Aspen basemap out-dates?

I have the Jepp Nav database update for the Aspen. The package includes 3 updates per cycle. I suspect this is for people with 3 Aspen units. You may want to call them and ask if they sell just a single unit update package.

In addition to the Nav database, it also includes obstacles and terrain updates. The obstacle updates help where there are ongoing changes (like wind mills).

I’m not sure how important it is for PFD only units and maybe others who own just the PFD can comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just called Jeppesen and they said that the PFD-only would still be the full $477 per year which does not bundle with any navigator.

I then spoke to Aspen who advised that the waypoints/legs/hold display information is generated entirely by the Navigator and does not require an up-to-date Aspen basemap in order to display properly. So it's possible to save some money by only updating the Aspen every so often (for a one-time update cost of only $160 through Jeppesen) when you want current obstacle data.

• Like 1

I have a 3 display Aspen system + 2 GTN 650's.  This was 5  years ago before the G500TXi was available. I think the Aspen display are a bit small, but perfectly fine. I am happy with my system. I think bigger is better though, and if I were going to start over with today's choices it'd be the G500TXi, 2 GTN650Xi, and the GFC500 AP. 

I fully agree with you. I have a similar set up and if I had to start from scratch that is what I would do. Having said that I am happy with my set up…22034dd95e97b22f21d9d544171f22f9.jpg
8b223b6d3ad51fdc41d65519f51acdc3.jpg
ac39a33cdaa507b564ffdc290cc6e391.jpg

• Like 3

I don’t keep the aspen basemap updated, however I noticed that after some time (years) the synthetic vision stops being as accurate as it should be.
That is the time when an update is needed

• Like 1

This post may not be the best place to say this, but it made me think about the future of our panels.  Wouldn’t it be interesting if Apple threw its hat into the certified panel game?  It still seems with all of the bells and whistles being offered by the various GA avionics manufacturers regs still necessitate the need for reference material in some form for plates, charts... Thus, it seems most (including me) have the IPad with our favorite EFB app running as a core in our scan to serve as a backup and data reference.    It wouldn’t surprise me that if at some point the panel itself will be one continuous  customizable touchscreen, but hopefully topped off by the good old whiskey compass.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, rbp said:

so, I tried to save money with a 750/355 setup instead of 750/650, and I regret it because the 355 has minimal integration with the 750 (no crossfill or database updates), where as the 750/650 combo is fully integrated 

is this true for the gnx355 as well ?

ive been thinking of using that with the 750 as my backup and get the x ponder in one. 

but It seems to make way more sense suck it up and go 650 right off the bat. 

avionics decisions are brutal. 

@rbp & @goodyFAB  Quick update on the Garmin DB update between GTN and the GNC/GNX/GPS...

If you have GTN software v6.72 and GNC 355 software version 3.10, the DB update should work. 

No release date on the CrossFill, but the word is that they're still working on it and it should be soon.  No clue what "soon" means in Garmanese, but since they were shooting for basically now, I hope it won't be too much longer. 

• Like 3