Another mooney accident. Massachusetts

News says critical condition.  https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/plane-crash-reported-in-falmouth/2910194/

https://skyvector.com/airport/5B6/Falmouth-Airpark-Airport

Conditions seem mild - 220 degrees at 7 kts.

The base to final looks odd but it could be bad data at low altitude. 

FlightAware has the best data.  ADSBExchange does not have good  data this time.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3515H

cape.png.57b376abe9c1066764c656c3aa1c7679.png

Sad day. From the pics it looks like they made it into the airport environment. The wreckage appears to be just off the approach end of runway 25.  If it's where I think it is, base to final stall does not make sense from Flight Aware Data as I think the plane came to rest well beyond the last ADSB hit. They hit hard.  Hoping for a good outcome.

Wow, looses 4000 ft in 5 miles and @ 198 mph too -- got her slowed down to about 125 mph @ 800 ft -- wonder if it was a stall - shows it climbing 300 ft (500-800) before it finally stopped.

And their home airport -- prayers for sure...

-Don

Unfortunate news update:

Police identify pilot killed in Falmouth plane crash, wife hospitalized with serious injuries

The pilot of a small plane that crashed Friday afternoon in Falmouth after a brief midday flight to Westfield and back died and his wife, who was with him, was hospitalized with serious injuries, State Police said Saturday.

The two were identified Saturday afternoon as Carl Willis, 83, and Candace “Candy” Oldham, 70, of Falmouth, according to Massachusetts State Police spokesman Dave Procopio.

Willis was flying the plane back to Falmouth when the red single-engine aircraft crashed in a grassy area just short of the northeast side of Runway 25 at the Falmouth Airpark, Procopio said.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/03/metro/police-identify-pilot-killed-falmouth-plane-crash-wife-hospitalized-with-serious-injuries/

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Sad 3

I remember Rae and Candice very well from the early years at MAPA fly-in. They even stayed at my home with my wife after we had the fly-in at Middlesboro, KY for the P-38 Glacier Girl restoration around 2002. Rae was a very dominate and positive force that added an added dimension to the meetings

• Like 1

Very sad. 

Now the question is why an ordinarily benign landing of a Mooney by 2 expert pilots would result in this disaster.

Tremendous force broke the right wing and separated the engine.  Perhaps it is a stall-spin on base to final.  But why? - I assume the plane was fairly light with only 2 on board.  I see they sell 100LL at 5B6 so no need to fly in with tanks full and heavy (I assume this Missile has Monroy Long Range Tanks). 

There is no Metar for 5B6.  Accident was at 3:03 PM EST or 20:03 Z.  They were landing on runway 25

Nearby

KMVY 021953Z 21012KT 10SM FEW027 08/01 A3049 RMK AO2 SLP324 T00780006

KHYA 021956Z 19008KT 10SM CLR 06/M01 A3047 RMK AO2 SLP320 T00561006

KFMH 021945Z 19008KT 10SM CLR 07/M03 A3050

Winds seem manageable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

Very sad. 

Now the question is why an ordinarily benign landing of a Mooney by 2 expert pilots would result in this disaster.

Tremendous force broke the right wing and separated the engine.  Perhaps it is a stall-spin on base to final.  But why? - I assume the plane was fairly light with only 2 on board.  I see they sell 100LL at 5B6 so no need to fly in with tanks full and heavy (I assume this Missile has Monroy Long Range Tanks). 

At that age it's hard to discount a medical issue popping up and interfering with things.   I ain't nearly that old and I still worry about it.

36 minutes ago, EricJ said:

At that age it's hard to discount a medical issue popping up and interfering with things.   I ain't nearly that old and I still worry about it.

From what I understand, the right-seater was 13 years younger and a highly experienced CFI with decades in the airframe. 

Doesn’t mean there wasn’t a medical issue, but it seems like there was something else in play :(

• Like 1