Longview, Texas GGG

Tomorrow after work I'm flying to GGG probably landing about 8:30 p.m. CST.  I've never been there., and I've got a hotel reservation for tomorrow night in town.  What are ground transportation options?   Is Uber or Lyft available?   I'd appreciate if anyone with experience shares their knowledge.

Thanks!

Call the FBO (KRS jet center) and see if you can use the crew car overnight. They are a great FBO - not sure about Uber/Lyft- I'm sure they have it there. FBO will let you know.

I fly there a lot for practice but most of the time it's during the day.

903 643 2010 - I think they're around until 9 pm...

-Don

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

What are ground transportation options?   Is Uber or Lyft available?   I'd appreciate if anyone with experience shares their knowledge.

My admittedly fuzzy memory is that one of the two rideshare companies was based in Tyler, TX.  I think these services are a bit thin down there.  Or you could taxi over to Maxwell's and see if someone there can give you a ride.

There used to be a rental car facility on the field, I don't know if it's still there.   Maxwell's shop is by itself out in the middle of the airport and not within walking distance of anything, so if you're leaving your airplane there there's an additional little trip to sort out, and I don't really remember how I got across the field at the time.   If you're just parking at the FBO, they're great and should be able to help with whatever you need.

1 minute ago, DonMuncy said:

I assume you are going there for Maxwell to work on your plane. You can leave your plane at KRS and Maxwell will go over and get it.

I'm actually flying my C there to kick the tires on a J.  The Mooney Summit had the effect of making me reconsider what I want in a "forever plane".  :o

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I assume you are going there for Maxwell to work on your plane. You can leave your plane at KRS and Maxwell will go over and get it.

That jogged my memory of how I got out last time; they took my airplane over to KRS and I picked it up there.

+1 that they're good people to know, both at Maxwell's and KRS. 

• Like 1

+1 for visiting the Maxwells….

Don is well known for his knowledge…

Paul has been our contact for odd things going on around the shop… like the Mooney Warbird/trainer project….

Mrs. Maxwell worked with Jolie on the right seat ready training class, and is a well known skilled aviator….

and our MSC from N. Carolina move down there recently…

Fuzzy memories of who to look for while in the area…

DMax performed the PPI for my O, about 12 years ago…

Go forever-planes!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

My trip to Longview was a fun one.   After kicking the tires and blazing holes in the sky in a J model with Jimmy G. last Friday,  Jimmy, Don and Paul took me to lunch. Listened to Mooney stories told by a Mooney legend.   After lunch, I was ready to return to sweet home Alabama. 

Filed an IFR flight plan and topped off the C.  Got in, and after a normal start I was given my clearance and told to taxi to Rwy 13.  

Run-up.  Left, Both, Right (silence), Both....   Left, Both, Right (silence), Both....

I sat for moment in complete disbelief.   First time I've experienced a totally dead mag.

Me to Ground "I need to taxi to Maxwell".

I taxied up to the open door of Maxwell's repair hangar and shut down.   Paul got in and ran her up to duplicate the problem, then they pulled it into the hangar and a swarm of mechanics attacked it.  They discovered several possible problems but late in the afternoon it turned out that the mag was dead because of a loose wire inside a mag.  Disappointing because those were IRAN'd by a well known mag shop only about 120 hours ago. 

Paul and two of Maxwell's mechanics stayed until about 6, but since it was Friday they just didn't quite have enough time to get it done.  It'll be done Monday.

Don let me use a loaner pickup truck for the night and a friend from my home drome flew over and picked me up Saturday.  I'll be looking for a ride next Saturday to go get her.

That J model that I tested seems fine.  I'm getting a pre-buy done.  

If you have a weird mechanical problem in your Mooney, GGG is a good place for it to happen. :lol: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

My trip to Longview was a fun one.   After kicking the tires and blazing holes in the sky in a J model with Jimmy G. last Friday,  Jimmy, Don and Paul took me to lunch. Listened to Mooney stories told by a Mooney legend.   After lunch, I was ready to return to sweet home Alabama. 

Filed an IFR flight plan and topped off the C.  Got in, and after a normal start I was given my clearance and told to taxi to Rwy 13.  

Run-up.  Left, Both, Right (silence), Both....   Left, Both, Right (silence), Both....

I sat for moment in complete disbelief.   First time I've experienced a totally dead mag.

Me to Ground "I need to taxi to Maxwell".

I taxied up to the open door of Maxwell's repair hangar and shut down.   Paul got in and ran her up to duplicate the problem, then they pulled it into the hangar and a swarm of mechanics attacked it.  They discovered several possible problems but late in the afternoon it turned out that the mag was dead because of a loose wire inside a mag.  Disappointing because those were IRAN'd by a well known mag shop only about 120 hours ago. 

Paul and two of Maxwell's mechanics stayed until about 6, but since it was Friday they just didn't quite have enough time to get it done.  It'll be done Monday.

Don let me use a loaner pickup truck for the night and a friend from my home drome flew over and picked me up Saturday.  I'll be looking for a ride next Saturday to go get her.

That J model that I tested seems fine.  I'm getting a pre-buy done.  

If you have a weird mechanical problem in your Mooney, GGG is a good place for it to happen. :lol: 

Going for the '92 J?  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Retrieved '03L from GGG Sunday.  Good hard IFR flight.  Took off with skies 300 OVC, and shot RNAV approach to minimums back home.  Thanks to @jwaviator for the ride!

Kudos to Don & Paul Maxwell for top notch customer service!  If any of you ever discover a dead magneto during run-up, may it happen to you at GGG. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2