Garmin GFC-500 Autopilot Problem

A64Pilot

Got this email from the FAA, I don’t know how to link to it so I cut-n-pasted it

Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot Notice
Notice Number: NOTC2741

Garmin has identified an issue with GFC 500 autopilots with optional auto trim installed in certified, experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft, including certified installations installed with optional GSA 28 pitch trim in accordance with Garmin STC SA01866W. This issue may result in an uncommanded automatic trim runaway when the autopilot is first engaged. This condition could result in a sudden and significant deviation from the intended flight path. 

Garmin Service Alert 22109 Revision A requires operators of certified installations to pull and collar the autopilot circuit breaker and placard the autopilot as “inoperative” prior to further flight.  Operators may contact a Garmin dealer regarding reactivation of the GFC 500 autopilot with the optional pitch trim configured off in accordance with recommended service bulletin 22110 Revision A.

Garmin is working to fix this issue for certified installations in a future software update expected in Q4 2022.

Garmin Service Bulletin 22112 Revision A requires operators of Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft to update system software or disable the autopilot or trim control prior to further flight.

Service Alert 22109 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/mZwVwMogJ09ZLIPJgWTBJA

The recommended Service Bulletin 22110 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/s7SeFk9oh96I8qVfjtNbV8

For non-certified aircraft, Service Bulletin 22112 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/QFnVz92cFZ5AvovG4LF6l5

If you have any questions or comments, contact the Wichita ACO Branch at:
Phil Petty
1801 Airport Rd.
Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 946-4139

• A64Pilot changed the title to Garmin GFC-500 Autopilot Problem
1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Fiji Dollars?

STec dollars…

But first, send a PO to show how serious you are as a potential customer…

Don’t worry, STec will not hold you to the PO…  huh…?

…fuzzy memories of STec visiting MS….

Many MSers wanted the updated STec… just couldn’t figure out how to buy it…

What percent of MSers know how to write the commercial terms of a PO?

It must be really fun selling avionics… :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Evan said:

My GFC500 was far from 40k. I have the 4 servo system (trim, yaw, pitch, roll) and was about 20k for the system. 

If you add in a pair of G5/GI275s and a WAAS GPS Navigator it's going to be 40k.  I think that's what he meant by upgrade path.  

11 hours ago, pwnel said:

How glad am I not having spent $40k on an upgrade path to a GFC500….

That STEC3100 STC needs reviving folks. 

A brand-new installation of the GFC600 autopilot for a C340A or a T310R previously-quoted by my shop runs approximately $42k.

The STEC3100 and the GFC500 are apples and oranges by comparison.  Each has had its issues.  You don't have to be an advocate or an opponent of Garmin's to realize this is merely a minor "speedbump" in the road for them.  "This, too, shall pass".

• Like 1

He didn’t, he specifically said 40K on an upgrade path.

I briefly considered it, very briefly when I started adding up the costs, but many don’t consider the whole panel may need replacing to do it right.

Plus, I’ve had many Garmin devices, I used to be a Garmin dealer and Garmin has a plan where people in the dealership can buy devices at less than the dealership can for personal use, they track these devices and limit how many can be purchased to prevent reselling, so whatever I bought it was Garmin.

But my problem with Garmin is that by the time my Garmin device needs repair you contact them and are told sorry, we don’t support that anymore, you will have to replace it with our new model, the least popular or least sold items are orphaned first, high volume stuff like a 430 hang around for awhile.

Contrast that with the fact that I can still get my Grandfathers Bendix-King stuff repaired.

Bose is the same way, I’ve had two Bose, when they needed repair I contacted Bose and was given the Garmin story. It’s bad enough for a $1,000 headset that needs a $20 part, but for a tens of thousands of dollars avionics? I think not.

So my installer called me back this morning. In short he told me to watch the AP carefully after engaging but to continue using it. The issue occurs at engagement time if it does occur and the disconnect button stops it from happening. Its not currently a mandatory SB and is not yet an AD. I personally was taught to leave my hand on the trim wheel when the AP comes on line to make sure its behaving and ill continue to do that.

That being said if you think STEC, Dynon, Avidyne, etc are not vulnerable to the exact same type of software or hardware bugs that garmin is I have a wonderful bridge in NY to sell you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just saw on beechtalk, looks like the gfc500 will be fully operational (except for gi275 owners), as soon as you complete the sw update ;)

"Hi everyone, I am pleased to report that the team has completed the GFC 500 STC that resolves the issue mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Please find the Service Document Notification here: https://atlaske-content.garmin.com/file ... 052731.pdf

For Certified aircraft, the following software has been published with a Service Bulletin with instructions for your Garmin dealer to perform the update.

G3X Touch v9.02
G5 v8.02

This Service Bulletin is warranty reimbursable.

For GFC 500 installations paired with a GI 275, the STC that incorporates the approved GFC 500 software is still in progress. The STC approving installation is planned to become available by the end of this month. I will update this thread upon availability."
Edited by FlySafe
added note on gi 275 exception
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

Just saw on beechtalk, looks like the gfc500 will be fully operational, as soon as you complete the sw update ;)

"Hi everyone, I am pleased to report that the team has completed the GFC 500 STC that resolves the issue mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Please find the Service Document Notification here: https://atlaske-content.garmin.com/file ... 052731.pdf

For Certified aircraft, the following software has been published with a Service Bulletin with instructions for your Garmin dealer to perform the update.

G3X Touch v9.02
G5 v8.02

This Service Bulletin is warranty reimbursable.

For GFC 500 installations paired with a GI 275, the STC that incorporates the approved GFC 500 software is still in progress. The STC approving installation is planned to become available by the end of this month. I will update this thread upon availability."

Under supervision from my AP/IA just updated to 8.00 yesterday (that was the current version on the download site) to get rid of the IGRF error. I guess I'll have to invest another 15 minutes to update to 8.02 now....