CO2 detectors the "Good The Bad and The Ugly

I am in the market for a CO2 detector and for many years the only thing available was the scratch and sniff variety, I only call it that because for some reason someone had always scratched at the detector face rendering it useless! I would like the panel mount but as a self avowed CB the $850 price tag causes me pain. Then comes the Sensorcon AV8 and its cousin the Sensorcon inspector (which I believe is the same unit as the AV8) the two sensorcons appear to be the same base unit with different attachments.

What detector do you use and what are your preferences?

AV8.png

scratchsniff.jpg

panelmount.jpg

sensorcon.jpg

buy the new Lightspeed Delta Zulu headset, it has a built in CO detector. Plus you protect your hearing with the latest and best ANR available.

I know the CSOB in all of us hates the price up front, but remind yourself that it's less than a quarter of the price of hearing aids...

https://www.sportys.com/lightspeed-delta-zulu-headset.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&creative={AdId}&device=c&matchtype=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JacBhC0ARIsAIxybyMt_EBbPx0W0nqzDDVy-hNzinjUOq0DvS97uoIb-tclXd5HK7IPBT4aAu4jEALw_wcB

Edited by philiplane

Many people here use the Sensorcons because there is specific history with the company and Mooney owners, one in particular.   (Thanks, Dan!)

They are good units.   I've had one since that wave started and it's been great.    A buddy I fly with periodically has one, too, as do others around my area.   They are very good for knowing what your "normal" levels are and in what phase of flight, so that you know when something changes or is just too high.   My friend's Cherokee recently started showing much higher concentrations than normal, so we've been looking for what changed and where the leak might be.   One advantage of the Sensorcon is that it is movable, so you can have somebody move it around the cabin and try to localize a leak source.   They can be difficult to find.

Coincidentally just posted in another thread:

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Many people here use the Sensorcons because there is specific history with the company and Mooney owners, one in particular.   (Thanks, Dan!)

They are good units.   I've had one since that wave started and it's been great.    A buddy I fly with periodically has one, too, as do others around my area.   They are very good for knowing what your "normal" levels are and in what phase of flight, so that you know when something changes or is just too high.   My friend's Cherokee recently started showing much higher concentrations than normal, so we've been looking for what changed and where the leak might be.   One advantage of the Sensorcon is that it is movable, so you can have somebody move it around the cabin and try to localize a leak source.   They can be difficult to find.

Coincidentally just posted in another thread:

This story is amazing, I heard about it a couple of year ago, when I didn't know what a Mooney was. Is truly amazing. A lot of luck, but also a great airplane!

46 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I used my Sensorcon to check my old truck, gas stove and gas logs in my fireplace. All were good, just my truck had a cold-start transient of about 4.

Since I fly a Turbo, I am real serious about CO monitor and use TSO's panel installed multi-function unit from Guardian, so I know its always on and working as soon as I flip the master switch on. They're not cheap and they require a new sensor and recalibration every 5 years; but my precious cargo and I are worth it :)

The unit also has the added benefit of reminding us in the climb out when to turn on the O2.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-553-panel-digital-display-multi-function-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft

• Like 1

I use 3 CO detectors:).  I have a Sensorcon, a panel mounted Guardian, and I recently got a Lightspeed Delta Zulu headset.  The Delta Zulu has built in CO monitoring. 

The Sensorcon is a great product with great support.   They are still offering 20% off through a discount code of:  Aircraft20222   That is three 2's at the end, I'm not sure why they did that....  Just go to Sensorcon

I have been using the Delta Zulu for the past 20hrs or so of flying.  It has a few great features, one of witch is the CO detector.  If anyone is interested in buying a Delta Zulu or any other Lighspeed product you can through this link.   Dan's Lightspeed Link   It's my Affiliate link that will give me a small cut of the sale.  No discount, but you would be helping put gas in my Mooney!:D 

My main recommendation is that you have a digital detector.  Not the color changing spots.  The home detectors are much better than the spots, but not that great for GA.  I would do a minimum of a portable that measures parts per million, like a Sensorcon.  After that I think having 2 detectors makes a lot of sense. Often we don't know when a digital detector isn't working properly unless we can check it with a second one.  

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 4

I run two of them......one to check the checker...very pleased with the product....I dont know what the aviation one does that they sell,,,,these are great though....

I took the big clips off and used industrial velcro for mounting....lasts forever

IMG_8396.jpeg.137680d91a5bc00dbc385ce0d61d4e1a.jpeg

• Like 2

Years ago… I had a CO Experts device…

Its battery ran out with the expected need to recalibrate its sensor…

It got replaced with a Sensorcon using Dan’s discount…

If anyone is still using the the dot on the instrument panel…

know that nobody has reported one to work around here…

For sensorcons…. A few have reported them working, and found the leak that was causing the alarm…

The dots on the panel… age quickly, and have no alarm….

When suffering from CO poisoning… it will be hard to keep the dot in your scan, or recognize the dot turned colors…

CO monitors have come a long way… get a good one!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Battery life on the Sensorcom must be phenomenal, I’ve twice forgotten and left it on to get into the airplane days later to find it on.

I haven’t turned mine off since July of 2020.  Mounted it to the panel, turned it on, and haven’t touched it since.

speaking of, it’s about time to send it off and have it calibrated and the batt replaced.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

speaking of, it’s about time to send it off and have it calibrated and the batt replaced.

You can replace the battery yourself....one of mine is much older than the other,,,,the numbers displayed are almost always the exact same....have not calibrated either of them...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I hang the Sensorcon off the old microphone hanger by the door

For the mounting (sort of) I keep my X-SENSE XC01 propped (with the pickup vents exposed) in an old leather Sporty's caddy for maps, pens, plotter, etc.  The caddy is on the floor of the back seat so the heater/vent air blows right on it.  Figure that's going to be the best place to pick up the CO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I've been very happy with my Forensics,

I agree with Mike!  I do have a little problem at start-up when the muffler is burning off a few drops of oil that drip on it after shutdown (I'm still trying to find the culprit).  The Forensics meter shows around 19ppm after start-up, and starts dropping as it warms up.  Waiting in line to get onto the runway I will often see 10-15ppm behind other planes.  In the air she is consistently at 0ppm.  It is nice to know what I'm up against.  I hate the oil leak but am confident that it isn't causing CO in the cockpit while flying. Well worth the few dollars for the CO meter.

• Like 1