Newly installed GI-275 software and GTN650

gmonnig

I recently got my 275s installed. We loaded up all the software and databases through the GSB-15 USB port. Took forever since the terrain is a gig or two. Upon completion, I noticed the message in the attached photo. After a few mins while taxiing to the fuel pump, the GTN650 came back on like normal. After leaving the fuel pump to fly home I got the message again. My GTN database is expired since I was not flying IFR but would that cause this corrupt message?

3BEF0221-0F73-4A89-880B-43FB012CD15A.jpeg

8FA8F79A-5B71-4A94-83E5-08B6B0A97280.jpeg

61E129B3-8404-41C1-8D0E-E307E32A8AAD.jpeg

• Like 1

Is the GTN new also? I’m not familiar with a usb path to updating the GTN but my first move would be pulling the card from the GTN and loading, or redos loading the most current terrain, obstacle, and nav databases. 

keep in mind, I know nothing except I have a 650 and that’s what I would do

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Slightly different setup, mine is 275s and GNX375.  I can load everything but terrain thru the 275 Database Concierge.  Terrain is too big and must be loaded directly to the 375 by the SD card.  Not well explained in the Pilot Guide.

Weird, I think they did load up the terrain via USB. I'm going to try and load my backup card for the 650 with a new update. Hopefully that'll clear things up. The maintenance shop was confused by the message and thinks the card might be messed up in the GTN. 

7287A32C-6A7D-427D-8EE1-231C8B1C9354.jpeg

10 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

Is the GTN new also? I’m not familiar with a usb path to updating the GTN but my first move would be pulling the card from the GTN and loading, or redos loading the most current terrain, obstacle, and nav databases. 

keep in mind, I know nothing except I have a 650 and that’s what I would do

That's probably where I need to start. The GTN is not new but now that everything is connected to each other, including the USB port. So now it's confusing on what subscriptions I need and how to load each thing. 

I have a GI275 and 2 GTNs and AFAIK you cannot load any databases to the GTNs through the USB.  Best to load the databases to the SD card either directly or through database concierge.

edit: Could you be looking to update the GI275 from USB and then sync over HSDB to the GTN?

This may or may not help... I use Database Manager and purchased a OnePak for my GI275s and GNS430W. I get the updates for both but of course there is no way they could connect the GI 275s to the GNS for distribution to both. I update the 275 by USB but I have to bring both SD cards from my 430  to the house to update, but it works, except for the clunkiness of having to update the GNS one DB at a time.

Not terrain, but I have a similar problem with FliteCharts fairly often. They take forever to load to the SD card on the computer because of the size of the file and at least half the time, I load the card at home, take it out to the aircraft, update, and find that the FliteCharts have not updated. I brought this up with Garmin while I was on the phone with them on a different issue and was told that FliteCharts is their largest database and sometimes does get corrupted when it is updated. Whenever it happens I bring the card home, reload only FliteCharts, take it back and update the aircraft, and it always works. So try that. My terrain was loaded by my avionics shop not long ago during a 275 install and it does not update often so I have not had occasion to see if that causes the same issue.