G1000 MFD shows TFR n/a on top left

Yariv

I have recently frozen the SiriusXM account and on a recent flight I switched the weather source from SiriusXM to FIS-B (free). Passing by Beale AFB I did not see the TFR over that airport as I was expecting (it showed on my ForeFlight). Then I noticed the annunciation on the MFD top left of the screen, saying it was not available. Picture attached.

is there a setting I am missing?

thank you,

Yariv

D472AA1E-3F7F-4A70-A069-572F9DA04332.jpeg

What UAT device do you have that receives FIS-B?

I have been having the same problem with my GTX 345 connected to a GTN 650Xi. The GTN is receiving NOTAM-TFR, but the TFR with a graphic do not display on the map. I’ve been working with an FAA contractor trying to figure this out. Garmin has been no help whatsoever. Still, I would report this to them as they only seem to take issues seriously when complaints reach a certain threshold. Right now, I suspect there is an issue in decoding the FIS-B graphic information. If you have a GTX, that might point to the issue being in that unit.

You cannot really use ForeFlight to compare FIS-B with the Garmin equipment in flight if the iPad had been connected to the Internet recently because ForeFlight gets TFR data from its server over the internet and caches it on the iPad. In flight, there is mo way to know if what you are seeing is current ADS-B data or cached and there is no way to clear the cache. I submitted an enhancement request to add a means to clear the cache.

Skip

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PT20J said:

What UAT device do you have that receives FIS-B?

I have been having the same problem with my GTX 345 connected to a GTN 650Xi. The GTN is receiving NOTAM-TFR, but the TFR with a graphic do not display on the map. I’ve been working with an FAA contractor trying to figure this out. Garmin has been no help whatsoever. Still, I would report this to them as they only seem to take issues seriously when complaints reach a certain threshold. Right now, I suspect there is an issue in decoding the FIS-B graphic information. If you have a GTX, that might point to the issue being in that unit.

You cannot really use ForeFlight to compare FIS-B with the Garmin equipment in flight if the iPad had been connected to the Internet recently because ForeFlight gets TFR data from its server over the internet and caches it on the iPad. In flight, there is mo way to know if what you are seeing is current ADS-B data or cached and there is no way to clear the cache. I submitted an enhancement request to add a means to clear the cache.

Skip

The G1000 uses the GTX-345. My Foreflight is connected to Stratus 2.

• Like 1

I believe it is a software issue with Garmin. I can display TFR's on my iPad with Garmin Pilot using the GTX-345 via bluetooth. However when you consider the G1000 MFD was not designed with FIS-B in mind until later updates I believe they left the feature out for whatever reason. The Sirius overlay is different, and much more complex. I live in the South so I keep my Sirius subscription because of the quicker Nexrad updates. I only discovered the anomaly when my GDL-69A quit working and I switched for FIS-B while it was being repaired. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

I believe it is a software issue with Garmin. I can display TFR's on my iPad with Garmin Pilot using the GTX-345 via bluetooth. However when you consider the G1000 MFD was not designed with FIS-B in mind until later updates I believe they left the feature out for whatever reason. The Sirius overlay is different, and much more complex. I live in the South so I keep my Sirius subscription because of the quicker Nexrad updates. I only discovered the anomaly when my GDL-69A quit working and I switched for FIS-B while it was being repaired. 

I asked Garmin if Pilot caches data like ForeFlight but never got an answer.

My last G1000 experience was before datalink weather, so I’m not current on that. Is there a way to display the Current Reports List and NOTAM text on the MFD?

I’m not sure what the G1000 “TFR N/A” annunciation means. It seems similar to the “TFR: No Data” annunciation on the GTN map which appears to mean that no graphical TFRs are available for display even though the text of the graphical TFRs may have been received. The FAA contract engineer explained to me that the graphical data is sent separately from the text. So there is probably a decoding problem somewhere in rendering the graphic. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yariv said:

I have recently frozen the SiriusXM account and on a recent flight I switched the weather source from SiriusXM to FIS-B (free). Passing by Beale AFB I did not see the TFR over that airport as I was expecting (it showed on my ForeFlight). Then I noticed the annunciation on the MFD top left of the screen, saying it was not available. Picture attached.

is there a setting I am missing?

thank you,

Yariv

D472AA1E-3F7F-4A70-A069-572F9DA04332.jpeg

What software level do you have on your G1000?  401.XX

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

I asked Garmin if Pilot caches data like ForeFlight but never got an answer.

My last G1000 experience was before datalink weather, so I’m not current on that. Is there a way to display the Current Reports List and NOTAM text on the MFD?

I’m not sure what the G1000 “TFR N/A” annunciation means. It seems similar to the “TFR: No Data” annunciation on the GTN map which appears to mean that no graphical TFRs are available for display even though the text of the graphical TFRs may have been received. The FAA contract engineer explained to me that the graphical data is sent separately from the text. So there is probably a decoding problem somewhere in rendering the graphic. 

Skip

Yes, you can display text,  you just cannot display graphically. I agree it is a decoding problem. Simple way to fix, Sirius.

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

What software level do you have on your G1000?  401.XX

I think the latest version is 401.36.

I asked the mechanic to upgrade it during the last annual but he didn't think it was really needed and told me it would take a long time to do it.