Failing 430 screen?

201Steve

My Garmin 430 shows a flickering screen looking like this at startup. After it gets warm, it seems to work fine for some reason. It's a bit different than the screen failures I've seen in the group, and it actually performs perfectly after "warming up" so I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this?  Screen failure? Only remedy is to send to Garmin, I suspect?

430.jpg

My screen was washing out and the backup battery was dead.  I sent mine to Garmin and paid the flat rate price (about two years ago).  Came back like new.  They replaced the screen, found a problem with a circuit board and replaced it, and replaced the battery.  I wasn't ready to deal with an avionics rip out.  I think it was worth it.  

• Like 1

Use DC’s fix… above…

Swap for a pre-flowned 430W… see Alan

step up to the IFD… near plug and play-ish… see our Avidyne guy

Go Dynon… Ask Chris/pilot fun 101

Sell first born… go big G!

Sell existing plane… remortgage the house… get different forever plane…

There aren’t many sitting around because they carry too much value to warm a shelf…

There may be one in Switzerland possibly for sale…

Things I’ve seen done around here…

:)

-a-

3 hours ago, DCarlton said:

My screen was washing out and the backup battery was dead.  I sent mine to Garmin and paid the flat rate price (about two years ago).  Came back like new.  They replaced the screen, found a problem with a circuit board and replaced it, and replaced the battery.  I wasn't ready to deal with an avionics rip out.  I think it was worth it.  

Backup battery?

1 hour ago, 201Steve said:

Backup battery?

Poor choice of terms.  I think it’s called the “hold down” battery but I’d have to look it up.  It’s soldered to the board.  I think it’s required to back up your flight plans and aid with GPS acquisition.  It takes longer if the unit doesn’t have prior data to satellite locations.  I’m no expert though.  Just a user.